“Excellent food and service but issues” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta

Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
“Excellent food and service but issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

The rooms are very nice, but the beds are way too hard and you can feel the springs in the sofabeds. Most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept on! Also beware of the vendors on the beach that have Marival tags. Say the jewellry is real silver, but it is not. I am very disappointed as you feel you can trust the sellers as they have the Marival name on them, but all the rings I bought that were supposedly real silver are either turning my finger green or the silver colour is wearing off!!!! The food and the waiter staff made our stay great!!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank xxCJKxx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
penticton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed March 19 the April 2nd. Family of 5. This is our fifth time at the residence If anything the residence is getting better.

To and from the Airport: We had Dulce set up our transport from the airport to the Residence.
Flawless, our name on a sign in the reception area and straight to the car. Walk through all the Time Share folks, this little gauntlet has nothing to do with any particular hotel its just the way they do business there.

Check in: In to the Brunello drinks all the way around while the paperwork is done. This is our 6th time at the Residence and i have yet to have a time share pitch while checking in. Straight off as they escort you to the Brunello state that you have no interest what so ever in time share.

The rooms: They are as good as the reviews say. Beer/water in the fridge, call right away and ask that the fridge be stocked up and tip once or twice during your stay, the fridge will always be stocked. Also we tipped the house keeper every day, not to improve service, its perfect but to say thank you, those ladies work hard.

Restaurants; absolutely no complaints and we would rate them all Mexican 5 star, stay away from the ghost pepper though, very hot unless you want to bet your 16 year old 5 bucks he cant eat one. The best 5 bucks I ever spent even factoring in mom being really mad at me. 30 minutes of hilarity as everyone including the staff watch a 16 year old deal with the heat and then again a few hours later when the 16 year old deals with the heat again.

If I had a complaint it would not have anything to do with the Residence but more to do with vacation timing. Spring break, normally we go the 2 weeks before spring break really kicks in across North America this year we went when everyone seemed to be on spring break. The place was packed and folks were getting up early to "claim" pool side loungers.

Beach Club: Our favorite place, whats not to like? The staff there work very hard, we tipped well each day and within day 3 days we basically did not have to order, drinks and menus showed up at the same time each day.

So, for a family its great any time for adults skip spring break and enjoy.
also when you are there seek out Ivan in the office he can help in with everything.

Room Tip: The rooms on the wings are a bit quieter while the rooms in the centre are supper easy/quick access...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This resort was fabulous for people who want a romantic getaway, young or elderly. If you like to be wined and dined almost to perfection, this is THE place for you - each meal was beautifully prepared and presented and there was such a varied menu. This was the absolute best food that we have been offered and we have traveled extensively throughout Mexico. You will have a problem not gaining weight. The breakfasts and dinners at Omagios are 'out of this world'. Thanks for the best raspberry pancakes and eggs benny with crab cakes. We had so many fabulous salad, entrees and deserts during our stay.
Try the llth floor Insu Tapas menu one evening. We sat up there and enjoyed the sunset with lovely wines and ordered many, many small tapas. I have to say, every little nibble was good but especially the scallops.
This property is not on the beach. We walked to the gate at the rear of the property, called the desk at ext. 8411 and had them open the motorized gate. To the left is a five minute walk to a public beach access. Once on the beach turn left and walk to the beach club at the sister property. We did this one day but we decided not to stay. I'm afraid that we were being spoiled at the resort and we felt that getting away from our resort wasn't worth the trip considering that all four of us were not a bit impressed with the sister resort.
The rooms at the Residences are absolutely spot on. Large with everything you could possibly need. We had a room with two bedrooms, a washing machine, a fully equipped kitchen. Our friends did not have a tub, although they loved their room. If that is a must, you should know that a few rooms have only showers. The balcony was large and we overlooked the adult pool. Having said that, the adult pool is a small sliver in front of the first floor rooms. There is no large pool for people who wish to do lengths because the main pool is shallow for children.
The only negative was this resort did not have the gorgeous location that a few of the top hotels have. We didn't realize this until we took a back to back trip and our last five days were spent at Villa La Estancia. It was nice to get back to a beach front location even though we only walked a few times on the sand. It was so lovely to look out of the window, through the beautiful large pools and see sea and sand.
However, Marival comes a close second and they sure pampered us. Thanks.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bluesurfandsun
calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Pre-arrangements before arrival were more complicated than they needed
to be--too many departments referring to other departments (bookings for
transportation,excursions,etc.)--However, once We were able to find the
right supervisor, all fell into place.
Airport transportation was efficient, check-in staff were cordial and expedient.
We were in our room with baggage before We all knew it, and with a very
nice welcoming appetizer tray.
We had a week to enjoy all that P.V.had to offer--which of course is
impossible---however the key to having as many functions and activities
as you desire, is by immediately contacting Senor CARLOS GALLARDO--
Chief Concierge at the Residence.
In short--Carlos was a master co-ordinator. Ticket purchases for attractions, private
or public transportation requirements, specialty trips into town or
surrounding villages, off location restaurants, cantinas, beaches--
and made everything very on time.
Overall staff was friendly and available. Access to restaurants at both of their
locations was easy and well organized. Food and beverages were above
average and well presented,
Beach-side service for the Residence was excellent-very well done.
Ask for the passageway from the Residence to the beach area as it is a
nice walk, through a lovely residential area.
Heads-up if you request the 2-bedroom PH unit with plunge pool---it
does not represent accommodation for 2 couples, or 2 master suites,
second bdrm was adequate for 2 children only, with bath outside the
room.
As an All-inclusive, remember all included additional service charges.
This Hotel is not located on the beach----the sister hotel is, but location
is perfect for beach access, and long beach walks.
You will certainly enjoy!

Room Tip: All rooms have great views., and are well decorated. The Residence opened approx. 2009
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Here goes my long review of the Marival Residences. I will separate into sections so you can scroll down to what you want to read.

Check-in- I was scared of check in. They take you to Brunello bar and order you drinks. I have heard about the time share pitch so I was nervous. I do not know how we avoided it but we did. The guy came with our bracelets and asked if we wanted to order another drink or go to our room. Of course we said we want to go to the room! He said he would show us around if we wanted but said if we were tired he would just take us on up. We agreed to look around. Its a very small resort so it only took a couple minutes. he goes through restaurant times and what is open when and all that. It was so fast we didn't remember any of it. They never said one thing about a timeshare. They did leave a note saying they had a "welcome package" at the brunello bar for us and we never went.

Rooms- we reserved a one bedroom penthouse because it was our 10th anniversary (more on that later) Beautiful, huge, clean room. The pool is small but it is all we needed. Perfect for my husband and I, In fact we never went in the public pool, not once. We just used our pool and the beach club. Washer and dryer is a huge plus. The bed are hard as a rock! We asked right away for a mattress topper and never received it the first night. The second day we saw the housekeeper with one for another room and I asked her to put one on our bed and it was much better.

Beach Club- wonderful chairs and cabanas at the beach club. We had a cabana everyday we went. I guess it is off season now in April so we never had trouble getting one. We would be there at 10 in the morning and there was still cabanas open. Food was an issue for me. There is no drink service until 11 and no food service until 12. They say the little beach grill food buffet thing will be open at 12 but it seems they start cooking at 12 and one day it wasn't open until about 1. If you ask for guacamole before it is time for food they will bring it to you which was nice. I like being able to order a drink or food whenever.

Sister resort. Yuck! I would never ever stay there. The food looks disgusting and it is sooooo crowded you wouldn't even believe! People and kids EVERYWHERE! No thank you. The ambiance at residences is much calmer and relaxing.

Food- I was not impressed with the food. I am a very picky, very basic food eater. I am like a kid, give me a burger and chicken strips, etc and I'm happy. I didn't like their burgers. Fajita night was good at Omaggio. Really anything with grilled chicken I liked. We found a steak at the Grill al forno the filet mignot. We ate this 3 nights and my husband even ordered two steaks one night. We are not fancy eaters and this was a little fancy for me. I like plain good tasting food. Even breakfast wasn't very good. The buffet food looked pretty yucky. I liked they omelets they would special make for you.

Room service- We ordered room service A LOT!!! I was a little scared because of the 10% charge. Like I said we ordered a lot and it came out to 15$ US. No problem at all! Very worth it. With the penthouse we would order room service and eat it up top.

Anniversary- I did lots of research and on their website it says if you book with them for honeymoon or anniversary and are in a penthouse you will get...
*bottle of champagne upon arrival
*tropical flower arrangement
*Romantically decorated suite upon arrival
Special in-room towel arrangement daily
*Sunset souvenir picture of couple
*PRivate, romantic, dinner on the beach

Well we arrived to our room with NOTHING. I went to concierge to show the copy of my marriage license that they said we would need. I asked about our freebies and he said we can deliver tonight. I said ok. We asked about the dinner and he tried to talk us out of it because it is the sister resorts food. I said no I didn;t want it then. He said they would do a private chef and waiter in our suite prepare us a meal. We looked at the menu and decided not to do it because of how picky we are with our food. It was gourmet food and I knew we wouldn't like it and I didn't want to hurt the chefs feelings. They did deliver the champagne and some chocolate strawberries that night. A few nights later we got a flower arrangement. Never heard anything else about the other things. Never got anything else. No towel arrangements, no pictures, no flower petals. It may sound picky but hey do not advertise something you are not willing to do. Just don't say anything then.

We loved the resort. It is very family friendly even though we didn't take our kids this time. I would like to go back with the kids. Keep in mind if you ask for something you will have to wait a while. Or it still may not get done. We asked for a bottle opener because there wasn't one in the room. It never came. Our mattress pad we had to ask for twice. We had a clogged toilet one day and it took a few hours for someone to come. Overall we loved Vallarta and would return we also loved the rooms in this resort. I would go back.

Oh and signing the check at the end of every meal for an all inclusive is ridiculous! Sometimes we just walked out. They need to change that!

Room Tip: spend the extra money for a penthouse! The balcony is huge and the pool is awesome even though it i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Little Rock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We recently returned from Marival (4 days in April). We booked a 2 bedroom regular suite. There were 5 of us in our party including 2 toddlers (5,3) and a sitter. Check-in took forever! They seem to drag it out when really all we wanted to do was go to lunch. We were starving and hadn't eaten since 4am. They offered a time-share presentation in disguise but we weren't interested and politely declined a couple of times before they got the hint. No big deal. We requested to get into our room early. They said none were available at 1:00. We checked back every 30 minutes or so-still nothing. Room was not ready until about 3:00 and our children were begin to loose it (missed nap). It would have been so nice to get into the room just a little bit earlier and alot of chaos would have been avoided. I don't see why the front desk couldn't have requested a maid clean a regular room upon our request at check-in. Check out is at 11 so it takes maid staff 4 hours to clean a regular room? This would have been a nice service for people with children especially! Room was just as it looks in pictures no surprises and no special upgrade which was fine-we got what we paid for.
Room: Nice two bedroom two bath with sofa sleeper. Sitter slept on sofa and kids sleep in guest room. Plenty of space for all. Never felt crowded or uncomfortable. Hallway can be very loud do to slamming doors. 2 double rooms face hall and have a window to the hall. I was paranoid about this window and check to insure it was locked before every nap/bedtime. Fridge was stocked daily with beer/water/sodas. If we were there when they stocked it he would give us what we requested. Very nice service. Never used any else in the kitchen. Could not find a bottle opener which was strange since some of the bottles require an opener. We carry one in our luggage so not an issue. Heating/cooling fans are complicated! Never really did undstand the whole system. Each room has there own so it worked out great. Huge balcony!
Pools: Awesome! Best part of the resort. They are heated! It was so nice to be able to go swiming at 7 am when no one was up yet and the water be a perfect temp at all times of the day. Pool chairs are easy to come by I felt until about 9:30 am. However, there is no place to get extra towels before 11/no towel cart. You have to wait for the pool boys to come to work or so the restuarant staff told us. We did go swimming at the roof top pool at Insu one day around 4:30 which was nice. Very small pool but great view. Kids swam around while we had coctails on the side. The water is only about 2 1/2 ft deep there. Pool at sister resort-GROSS! My toddlers hated it there and did not want to return. They played in the waterpark area the first day for about 1 hr but never wanted to return. Cold and yucky water with TONS of people.
Beach: No beach. This was a negative for us as it was a small hassle to take golf cart. They say it runs every 5 minutes but this did not occur while we were there. More like every 10. VIP beach area was very nice and not at all crowded. Wait staff their work very hard and our amazing. Please bring tips for them. They go above and beyond. It is true that the locals will set up right in front of the beach area and semi-block your view with their umbrellas. Bathroom at VIP was kind of yucky and I felt they didn't take care of this area very well. Beach beds were great and easy to come by. People did reserve their spots in the am and then not return until after lunch. Ridiculous. No one did anything about this so I just moved their stuff and used their beds. On ocassion no one returned ever and once someone returned and I just stated they hadn't been here for 2 hrs so I turned their stuff in to the front desk. It's rude to lay claim to something you don't own and are not even going to use! If people would not do this there would always be beds available for everyone! Go check out the parrots while waiting for the shuttle to return to Marival Residence. a few of them even talk a bit.
Food/Drinks: Food was VERY good. Only had two bad dishes on the first day. Wait staff was average. If we did get good service we tipped extra if not we didn't. Service however was soooo slow. Waiters need extra training. Their were often communication issues/not being able to understand what we were ordering or simply not understanding the menu. I don't know. We sometimes got something different than we ordered. Waiters also need to understand that people with small children DO NOT want a leisure meal. It would take 15 minutes to get drinks. Kids had already lost interest in the whole dinner thing by then. Quicker service would have been appreciated when dining with the kids. LOVED INSU. Get their before 6:30 to get a good table and watch the sunset. LOVED that place and the wait staff at night. Kids loved the kids buffett and entertainment in the evening. Drinks were very tasty and a good variety. One major pet peev is that the resturants never opened when they said they would. Lemon Grass for example should be open at 11 for lunch. Everday we went at 11 but they said they were not open for 10 more minutes! Annoying to be left standing there. Just open when you say you will. Every restuarant did this. I know, Mexico time but it drove me crazy. I also wish their was a snack stand/drink stand. Bar staff was so rude when I would go in and ask for sodas. Never once said even a word to me. Just looked at me like I was bothering them.
Kids Club: My children did not attend but they did participate in the activities in the evening. Staff looked like they loved their job and were really involved with the kids. I was impressed!
Overall: Would we return-Yes. However, I really wish there were some type of entertainment for the adults in the evening. It was sooooo boring at night. No live music, no shows, no movies, nothing but a kid semi-show from 7:30-8:30. Very dull. I know you can go over to the sister resort but who wants to do that (that place is yucky). Anything would have been nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank crystalpalmer1
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We were upgraded from the Marival Grand to the Residences. What an upgrade!! All suites, gorgeous finishes, contemporary furnishings. Excellent food and services. Pools are restful and beautiful. Poolside service far better than average. Lots to do and see close by. Bell boys always ready to get you over to the other resort by large open carts. There is a private beach section for World Spa guests only. That is my only complaint - the World Spa is built off the beach so that to walk takes about 10 minutes. To take the cart takes about 10 or 15 minutes including waiting time and walking to beach from drop off location. Too bad it wasn't built on the beach!

We were there for a beautiful wedding - loads of fun and lots of great memories made!

We were with a group of about 20 people of all ages. An unfortunate incident happened to one of our young ladies two nights before we left. This incident was not her fault in anyway. We hope the resort dealt with their employee in a proper fashion.

• Stayed April 2013
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,613 reviews

Been to Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!