“Not quite what we expected”

Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Manitoba Canada
“Not quite what we expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a week at the Marival Residences and Spa in Nuevo Vallarta. We were there from February 9 – 16. Was not quite what we expected but still had a good vacation. This was our 5th all inclusive vacation so we’ve had a little experience.
The airport was a huge eye opener. Our travel agent warned us and there was an announcement on the plane but we still managed to get sidetracked. Whatever you do, don’t look confused. The time share people are like vultures and they are very convincing. After customs, don’t speak to anyone except your rep, and they are standing at the outside door.
Our trip to the resort was in a cab thanks to our upgrade through Transat vacations. It was really nice as we waited on no one else. When we arrived at the resort we were immediately taken to the wine bar where we were served a cold drink and someone came to check us in and explain the resort to us. She also offered us an opportunity to attend a breakfast gathering the next morning where they would explain to us how to save money on the resort and in the shops. My husband said he had no interest in attending a time share presentation but we were assured this was not one of those. Our 90 minutes turned into almost 3 hours and it was just that. When we said “no” the manager was brought in who was rude and a very hard sell. It wasn’t until we got aggressive that they let us go. We had been bribed with promises of Marival Dollars and other goods so after you have invested 3 hours of your day you fell you are owed what was promised.
Right after check in we were taken to our room and had everything there explained to us. We were on the 5th floor and had a one bedroom suite. The room was beautiful and we had a fabulous view of the grounds and the ocean. Our fridge was stocked every day with water and pop. We could have had beer but after the first 6 you had to pay for the service. Seemed a little odd in an all inclusive when you could get as many as you wanted in the bar. The housekeeping service was superb. Our room was cleaned every day before mid-afternoon and was always done well. There was a turn down service in the evening but we only used it twice. The only issue we had with housekeeping/turn down is that some things went missing from our room. Two of the items were inconsequential but annoying as they were ours, but there was a very expensive prescription inhaler went missing. You really shouldn’t have to lock that kind of stuff up. We left a tip and a chocolate treat every day as thanks so that should have been enough.
There is only one full restaurant on the property. There are 3 other locations to get food and there was lots of selection. The food quality was good and the service was excellent. We never waited for a table and were served promptly any time we went. Signing of the bill was an annoyance but not really that bad. I’m sure they do it to encourage tipping but the staff certainly earned it. We went over to the sister resort twice and ate in the restaurants there. The food and service was good but the ambiance was not. There is little to absorb the sound and when the restaurant got full it was very noisy.
We walked to the beach every day. It is about a mile walk mostly on beach so it was quite enjoyable. You can take a shuttle but we enjoyed the exercise. The beach club is great and the service again is top notch. Just a point though, this beach club can also be accessed by guests of the Grand Marival for a fee, it is not exclusive to the Residences property. We particularly liked having Angel serve us. He made every day special. The staff there is very busy and work very hard. I heard people complain that it was too slow but in my opinion, they have lots of people to look after not just you. If you think you need something faster you can always go to the bar and get it yourself. We never wanted for a drink of water, alcohol or something to eat. The water was a little rougher than we prefer. Some people enjoy playing in the surf but we prefer to have the calmer cleaner waters of the Caribbean.
We enjoyed two of the free excursions. We spent a day zip lining and went on the walking tour of Puerto Vallarta. There were only 4 of us on the zip line adventure and the staff made it one of the best days I’ve ever had. The walking tour offered two different time lines but in the end there really is only one. It is from 10 – 2:30 for everyone. We also attended Rhythms of the Night and highly recommend it. We booked that one ahead of time from home so we were able to choose the night we wanted.
The only downside to the resort is that there really is nothing to do there. They seem to cater to golf groups and the time share people. There is no evening entertainment at all. You can go to the sister resort for an evening show but it doesn’t start till 9:30. By then we were fully in wind down mode.
On our last day the airline forgot to send us transport. The concierge desk was very helpful and right away had the situation resolved and sent us in a Marival car.
Although the service and people went above and beyond every day we will probably not return to the Marival Residences. If you want to do nothing but lay by the pool and read or if you are a golfer then that is the place for you. We prefer to have room to roam and walk and do enjoy the shows and a bit of night life offered in other locations.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views.
4 Thank MiniBrandon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at the Marival Residences & World Spa for seven nights at the end of January, as part of a large group of golfers. Having styled at the near-byFour Seasons Punta Mita, I was skeptical that Marival would truly be on 5-star par rating. Within the first 3 hours, I was convinced that Marival is actually superior is almost every category.

Our very large golf group, all arriving on a full chartered plane, was met at the airport by Marival staff, and were quickly and efficiently boarded on several busses. We were met at Marival by staff with trays of fantastic drinks, which we enjoyed during the surprisingly fast check-in. Our luggage arrived at the room shortly after we did and we appreciated that golf clubs can be stored and handled by Marival staff, always waiting for us at the golf courses when we needed them - a great convenience!

The room! As part of a large group, I somehow expected that our room would be a non-view/lower-level placement. We were thrilled to find ourselves on the center of 5th floor, directly above check-in. An incredibly spacious two bedroom/two bath apartment, complete with kitchen and laundry. As a couple, we really only needed one bedroom, but the second was a good place to store our empty luggage & borrow hangers - there was ample closet and drawer space in the master bedroom to completely unpack our bags. The spacious balcony, which runs the entire width of the residence, provided a perfect spot for sunning and reading at all times of the day, as well as being the perfect vantage spot for each night's sunset. My husband had to spend one day working and the balcony dining table became the best desk-for-a-day he's ever had.

Preferring soft beds, we found the master bed to be somewhat hard & uncomfortable. In a moment of resourcefulness, I took the mattress pads off of the beds in the unused bedroom and added them to the master king bed (I neatly remade the unused beds, not wanting to make unnecessary work for the maids), making the master bed a bit more comfortable. We very much appreciated that the maid not only noticed our adjustment the next day, they also added a foam topper, which made the bed perfect. Lesson: if you prefer a cushier bed, just let them know and they will make it right.

The bathrooms were very well stocked - plenty of towels and, much to my delight, replenished with an extensive supply of my favorite l'Occitane products. The kitchen contained a minimum of kitchen supplies, which we didn't really need anyway. Coffee, water and sodas were replenished daily. Turn-down service was offered nightly, with the maids leaving small treats each time.

As previous reviews state, food and drinks are included and are very good - much better than we expected from an all-inclusive property. We did enjoy room service a couple of times and didn't mind the 10% charge. We never felt pressured to tip, but did leave money for the maids and bell-boys at the end of our stay.

My husband played 4 great days of golf and I enjoyed the included zip line tour. I was fortunate that the day I went, there was only one other participant, so was able to enjoy the full attention of the Las Vegas Ranch staff. Who are both professional and hilarious! With their help, I was able to overcome a life-long fear of unenclosed heights. It's an experience I will never forget! During another one of my husband's golf days, Marival staff drove me into Puerto Vallarta for a shopping trip. The half-hour ride was a very reasonable $20 (with tip). Finding a return yellow taxi was equally easy. If you do venture into town and are looking for authentic Mexican folk art, beyond the souvenir t-shirt, I HIGHLY recommend Bandaras Bay Trading Company. The Marival Concierge can provide directions.

Both my husband and I enjoyed time at the Spa. My Indian Experience was absolutely top-notch and my husbands combination lower-back & foot treatment were equally therapeutic for him, particularly after 72 holes of golf in a relatively short period of time.

As other reviewers have pointed out, the VIP beach club at Marival's sister resort is wonderful. While that property seems to be equally well-served, it caters more to families and the walk through to the beach allows appreciation for the Residences and World Spa. Travel between the two properties was hassle-free.

We would commend the Marival Residences & World Spa to anyone looking for a top notch all-inclusive experience. In fact, we are looking forward to returning with our family, so we can properly take dvqntqge of that second bedroom!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisahhh36
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just returned from a weeklong stay at the Marival and it wasn't exactly what we were expecting. We have stayed at MANY all-inclusive resorts in many different countries (that is our preferred method of travelling) and this one was a little different.

When we first arrived, we were seated at a wine bar and ordered drinks of our choice. Somebody came and talked with us about the resort, what to expect such as a 10% room service charge if you choose to order room service, the spa, the excursions, that the Japanese restaurant and deli were not part of the all-inclusive, etc. I really appreciated being told about everything up front and not having anything a surprise. Then the pitch for the time share came up (which we were expecting) and we politely told we were not interested and that it was not our reason for coming here and he was good with that and didn't bother us again.

Our room wasn't ready, although it was 2pm, so I thought I would take the opportunity to ask if we could pay for an upgrade for a suite with a pool...we were told none were available and our room would be ready in an hour. When we came back an hour later, Gabreiella was at the front desk so I asked her WHEN or IF a suite with pool might be available within a day or 2, she gladly checked for us and go figure, 2 were available right now! That was my first annoyance (could be because I was tired, but all he had to do was check). The person who told me none were available was standing beside her with and wouldn't look at us.

The rooms...WOW is all I have to say! They are BEAUTIFUL. One of the prettiest resorts we have stayed in. We stayed in a 2 bedroom with a private pool. The beds are hard but everywhere I have gone to in Mexico has had hard beds. We asked for a mattress topper which we received right away and that made it a bit better. The rooms have a washer/dryer in them which I thought was great! Since we did get a room with a private pool, we decided to take a taxi to the Walmart ($6 USD each way) and bought some floaties, and a bunch of other stuff including some detergent and BUG SPRAY.

The grounds again....WOW. Beautiful and very well kept.

The beach VIP area was really nice with drink service as well. The food was really good.

The maid did a terrific job every day! The turn down service on the other hand was VERY disappointing. One day she even put the privacy sign on our door (I know it was her because it wasn't us)!!! Our of 7 nights, we got proper turn down 2 times. Simply disappointing. Also, we had to call maintenance due to a clogged toilet and it took them over 3 hours to get to our room. Most days we had to call and ask them to replenish the waters and pop in our fridge.

The food was good to really good, as I expected with this level of resort. We found the service to be great at all the restaurants. We had no issue at all getting into the restaurants or with any of the service. What I did find annoying however, is although it's an all-inclusive, they still bring you a “bill” and you still have to sign. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is. Everywhere you went, you were asked for your room number. When you entered the restaurant you were asked, then 5 minutes later you were asked again by your server. Again, an annoyance.

We REALLY liked the pool-side drink and food service, you certainly don't get that everywhere! It was a bonus.

We did 2 excursions, the Sea Lions and the snorkelling and hiking. All we had to pay for was our taxi and I think it was around $4USD each way. I loved knowing you could do the excursions for free. You might want to rethink the snorkelling trip if you get motion sickness though…MANY of the people on our boat were vomiting. The ocean is a little choppy to see much of anything while you snorkelled as well but the hiking part was really good.

Overall, it was a good, relaxing trip, but there certainly were some annoyances. All vacations are what you make of them. I’m not sure I would go back to Marival for the price we paid but would certainly go back if there was a deal.

Couple of quick tips, the mornings are cool and shady, you might want to consider bringing a sweater. Bring bug spray and afterbite. My daughter and I have lots of bites on us. Also ladies, bring your own hairdryer, theirs are really bad! LOL If you’d like to go watch the sunset on the rooftop bar (which we did almost every evening), get there early! Tables are taken up really quickly. Also, bring small bills for tips.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank nancy028ca
Caledon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I visited for a week in February. We returned to the resort because of the great experience we had.

We were checked in at the wine bar and were offered the Time Share tour which we politely declined and did not have anyone else mention it for the rest of our stay.

They also explaiined that they have changed the free excursion offers- if you booked after January 1st you only got one as opposed to unlimited excursions before.

We were in a two bedroom unit on the second floor- we asked for a higher room but they told us that they had nothing available. The room was very nice and spacious. The beds are very hard but we slept well. Second floor was fine- we could walk down to the pool or the restaurants and not have to wait for the elevator.

On Thursday they had a large turn around on rooms so our maid did not get to our room until almost 5 pm. We told her that we were okay with not getting the room cleaned. The turn down service came while were out at dinner and they left a note saying that we left the Privacy sign on the door so they could not clean our room. We did not leave the sign and when we went in there were lights on in our bedroom so we think that they saw that the room was not made over that day and wanted nothing to do with it.

The food was excellent-which was great to see. Good quality house reds were available.

The restaurant service was poor at the start of our vacation- not really friendly, slow to take our orders or refill our wine glasses (not the way we remembered it from the last time). If you want to be a five star resort these are the things that your guests expect. The waiters seemed to be covering large sections of Omagio's and were having a difficult time connecting with the diners. It did improve towards the end of our vacation- not sure if it was because they wanted the guests to remember how good they could be or if they wanted the surveys (and TA) to be positive.

Beach Club was good-never had a problem finding chairs. Service was slow there at times but they were busy.

We really had a relaxing time and would return it the future if we hear things improve.

3 Thank tjocCanada
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Traveler
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on this web site. Your comments are very important to us, and we listen to you. Your observations have been forwarded to management for due follow up, as we constantly strive for excellence. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We just returned from a weeklong stay at the Marival Residences and feel that a full review is in order. I am a former travel agent and my husband and I travel 2-3 times a year. We have been to Mexico a dozen times but it was our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and to this resort.

To start we were checked in at the wine bar when we arrived but it took 20mins before someone came to talk to us. The hotel information briefing includes a proposition to attend a time share presentation (half the resort is time share). Be forewarned that the 90 minutes over breakfast turns into a 3 hour session with them bringing you back and forth between the two resorts and with a fairly aggressive pitch.

The resort itself is beautiful and the rooms very spacious and kept very clean. We had a one bedroom on the 5th floor with a nice ocean view. We had an odor coming from the washing machine which made the whole room smell – it took a few calls to get that rectified. The beds are very firm, even with the requested mattress topper. My husband has a bad back and did not sleep well.

The pool area is very nice but fairly small. In spite of that we did not have an issue to find available loungers – which are very comfortable. As for the double lounger with the canopy – they get staked out very early and sometime go for hours being empty. There is no policy on reserving chairs that are not being used.

The beach club is nice although fairly compact – a lot of chairs in a small area – the service there is excellent and there is food and restrooms close by. We never had to wait long for the shuttle and the walk between the resorts is a nice walk – about 15 minutes. The beach itself is very nice, soft sand and you can walk for hours. I prefer calmer water to swim in but lots of people enjoyed playing in the surf.

The food was good to very good - on par for other higher end all inclusives we have stayed at but we found the options very limited especially at dinner. Omaggio was great – recommend the Fajita night – but it is the only full service restaurant. Both Lemmon Grass and the Steak House are outside by the pool area and they each have a set menu of a chicken/beef/fish dish every night. The menu changes but those are your only basic choices. So when you are having dinner at any of the three areas – you can see your other two dining areas too – very limited. Yes you can go to the other resort and we did eat in the Italian restaurant one night and it was good but I would not say amazing.

Overall the service was very good and staff is very friendly– again on par with other higher end all inclusives we have stayed at. There were some glitches – red wine served chilled, twice I had food that was served cold, we asked for beer in our fridge when we arrived – it was never replenished after the first day. The other thing is that you have to wait for your “bill” which is zero but there is an expectation to tip. I prefer the all inclusive that is truly inclusive and you do not need to carry cash around or be presented with charges at the end of the trip. These are all small examples but prevent me from saying it was all a 5 star experience.

I would say the biggest downside to this resort is the lack of facilities. After dinner there is nothing at all to do. We are by no means looking for a party but someplace to go after dinner to enjoy a few drinks would be nice. We went up to the Insu Sky lounge one night at 10:30pm and we were the only ones there. We tried the show one night at the other resort but it was very amateur and geared towards families and smaller children. Our last few vacations were cruises and larger all inclusive which gave you many options for entertainment.

We did the Sea Lion encounter and the Rhythms of the Night tour, both were excellent and I would recommend them. Also Puerto Vallarta can be cool in the morning and late evening in the winter time - around 16-18c so ladies bring a sweater.

So to sum up pros: beautiful and clean rooms, good to great food, great service, nice lounge chairs, nice spa. Cons: small pool area, no entertainment, not on the beach, no direct access to the beach, limited dining options.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and had a great vacation. It did have a more high end condo feel about it than a full resort experience. Would I recommend Marival Residences to friends - yes. Would I stay there again, probably not, I think I would like to try different all inclusive which is on the beach and with more facilities and food and entertainment options.

5 Thank TravelonJo
Dear Traveler
We thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your vacation experience at our resort. Your insights are highly appreciated, and we are certain other travelers will also benefit from them. We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Monterrey, MX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is perfect for a relaxing and quiet vacation. Great all inclusive, Excellent food, Rooms are spacious and fully equipped they even have full kitchen with island (stove, oven, fridge, dishwasher, etc). I loved the private pool in our suite (PH 624), it is really private although you might hear the neighbors if they're also on their pool. The vip section in the beach is a really nice touch, it has all inclusive food and drink service most of the day which makes it even more comfortable.

Hotel service was mostly good, although tipping is expected (and they automatically charge you 10% tip on all room service).

Room Tip: Penthouse rooms are really worth the money, the private pool really is private you cant see neighbor...
Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting a review on this web site. We are glad to learn that you have enjoyed your vacation experience in our resort. We value your comments and you may be certain that they are given proper attention. We look forward to your return in the near future.
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I recently spent one week at the Marival Residences & World Spa in Nuevo Vallarta. WOW!!!! We had an awesome time. This resort is definitely luxury at its finest......the room was like an apartment - very spacious, clean, and beautifully decorated. The resort itself is fairly small, but it was perfect for what we wanted......a quiet, relaxing time together for our honeymoon. Although the resort is not directly on the ocean, the pool area is gorgeous and we never had to fight for chairs. And if you want to be on the beach, they will drive you down to the sister resort or you can walk....just a little stroll down the road. I cannot say enough about the food......it was excellent!!! Every meal we had was awesome, and the staff was always very friendly and courteous. I don't think I have a single complaint! We would definitely go back!!!

1 Thank Jessica M
Dear Traveler
We would like to thank you for posting a review on this web site. We value your comments, as we strive for excellence. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,022 reviews

Been to Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!