“Great Stay”

Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 2, 2007

My Wife and I stayed at the VP from 7/24-8/2 to basically rest and relax and do pretty much nothing.
1. Airport in PV was a breeze just ignore the time share hawks.
2. Check in quick easy and our room was ready in 20 minutes from our noon arrival we were greeted by Oscar who gave us a great rundown of the grounds,he explained the free tours provided by The Palace(we did none),a good overview of the city and a shot of Don Julio(Great Mexican Tequila)and a couple of cold ones for my wife and I. Then hit us with a no pressure invite to a time share pitch. He truly did not pressure us.
3.Room was very nice, always clean, mini bar constantly restocked with whatever we asked for Dos XX, Pepsi, Bottled water ,Seltzer, 7up or Tecate(we left a note and a $5 tip on our first day and never had to ask for anything). We both loved the large shower and never had a problem with water pressure, we were on the ground floor maybe that helped?? We loved the ground floor easy access to the pool,beach and whatever else. No need to wait for elevators.
3. Pool/Beach only spent 2 days at the pool as the beach was closed due to rough seas(there were some 15-20 foot swells and strong undertoe).Plenty of chairs, plenty of shade if that is your thing. If there were no umbrellas don't wait to come home and write a review and complain, Just Ask..... My Wife and I are beach people so thats what we did go to the beach. The sand was always clean unlike some of the other beaches we walked to(Occidential right next door towards the marina was filthy and I go to the beach at Coney Island N.Y. so thats saying something). There was constant waitress service, and again plenty of shade if thats your thing. Beach volleyball, soccer, bogie boards and kayaks(no Charge). The water was warm and rough enough for bogie boards and even the occasional surfer but not bad enough so you can't just relax in it, but it is not like the crystal clear caribbean sea so don't expect it. We loved it.
4. Food/Drink food was the only downfall was not great but not horrible either not a great selection and the menus were always the same.One extremely pleasant suprise was the Japanese must have the Tempora Ice Cream(Trust me on this one).
If you are a Brand name liquor person just ask for it(Stoli and Juice,Bacardi and Coke) or you will get local whatever and it all tastes like tequila, and your not gonna get Johnny Walker Blue eiher but I did see Red and Black.
5. Nightlife is a little boring at the hotel typical all inclusive shows and a live band on most nights (same band all the time, average at best). The nightlife is a 10 to15 minute cabride away $16 -18. We felt very safe and don't worry about the weather nothing stops these people, we saw the worst rain I have ever seen, I mean streets were like hard charging rivers about 3 ft. deep and everyone kept going like it was 90 and sunny.
Overall it seemed to rain once a day every day for 15 minutes in the evening like Florida and clear up enough and just in time for the most amazing sunsets you will ever see every night(take the sunset photo $15 for a 5x7 $45 for a mounted 8x12 and I'm not sure how much the poster costs My wife and I Got The $45 one it is a spectacular pic well worth it. bring similar outfits (trust my wife on this one) white tops and beige bottoms really look the best and the potographer who's name escapes me is really great. well worth the 20 minutes and the money.
6.The Staff was Great! always helpful, Very nice and if the language is a problem remember where you are, don't expect english its Mexico. For the most part it was not a problem and if it was they would always tell you to wait a minute and come back with some who spoke english with a smile. The money is not an issue at all everyone took American money and the conversion is easy its 10 pesos to 1 dollar.
This is for the golfers I Played El Tigre great track real tough from the tips but seemed a fair challenge from the whites I rented clubs(Calloway Big Berthas sorry no hybrids)lots of water and a 171/125 yard Island green yeah like No. 17 at Sawgrass.
and behind the 17th tee box is a cage where a full grown Bengal Tiger lives and will pose for some pics, hence the name El Tigre.
We don't really like to go to the same place twice but if we go back to PV we will stay at The Vallarta Palace.

Thanks for a Great Vacation
Chris and Gillian
Brooklyn, N.Y.

Stayed: July 2007
8  Thank Yankscap15

Reviewed July 30, 2007

We just returned from our Honeymoon. We were there from 7/23-7/27. First impressions were wonderful. Check in was smooth, room was exactly what I was expecting. The beach was great.

The food however was disappointing. The included room service I knew would be limited but geeze, although the chicken soup was good. The Breakfast and Lunch buffets were awful, and I'm not that picky. It's not that I didn’t find a type of food I liked, it's that it was just bad! The "snack bar" wasn't much better, hamburgers and hot dogs that had been precooked sitting in warming bins for who knows how long. "Yummy". Don’t get me wrong I would have expected this from a lower class hotel but I was under the impression I was going to a four star resort for my honeymoon. The dinner however at Mar Intimo (Italian) was good!

We didn’t get out too much; the sunset tour was booked full the entire time so we took the "rhythms of the night" through Vallarta Adventures, which was really cool. And we took the City tour which was ok, what is said in the other reviews is true. The Tequila Factory isn't really a factory more like a run down showroom. There were obvious kick backs for chaza travel from the places they took us, especially the silver shop.

But here's the real kicker, we both got sick! And with the exception of the Vallarta Adventures tour (which we booked through the resort) we didn’t eat or drink outside the resort. So as your sick and spending the end of your honeymoon in pain, you start too look back on what it was that might have made you sick. We weren’t careful like people tell you to be, because we were in the resort with "clean" water, so we drank the mixed drinks! And I did notice flies on the food but it is outside so what are you going to do? Anyway if you are going or decide to go, be careful and follow the advise of others who have been to Mexico. Your not really going to a four star resort by most standards. Actually I've never been to a four star resort but I doubt that they make you sick!

1  Thank megsmail
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We were at the Vallarta Palace 7/23-7/27. We arrived on Monday before 11:00 and were able to get into our room, a family that was on our same plane and were checking in at the same time had to wait on their room. I guess we got lucky.

As someone previously posted the double tub does take up a lot of space in the room. Since it was our family of four the tub was not used, but was good for spreading out our wet stuff out on.

The food was good not great. I think when you are at a resort like this you just have to make wise choices about the food. The steaks were always good. The dress codes were not followed too closely, maybe because it was so hot. Nice shorts and collared shirts is what I saw on most men.

Our pool and beach service was good. We had staff constantly coming around. Maybe others were just there on bad staffing days.

The beach and surf were good the first two days, but the last two days they had the red flags out all day, so no going in the water. I was prepared for the dark water, but have to say I did miss the beach and clear blue water in Cancun. My family enjoyed the time they did get to boogie board.

There were a lot of kids there, but I didn't see any that were too out of control.

I guess my biggest complaint would be the housekeeping in our room. It was cleaned after 4 every day. They didn't sweep the floor very well and we had to ask for more towels (left 3 for 4 people). This was pretty minor and not something I would have made a big deal about.

Our included tours were: horseback riding- fun short ride, especially for those of us who aren't "real riders". Channel tour-my husband and daughter took this and said they enjoyed it.
The sunset cruise- this was a great boat ride, started out a little bumpy because of the high waves, but we enjoyed seeing Puerto Vallarta this way.

The resort was nice if you are looking for something in Nuevo Vallarta. I personally don't think I would go back only because we probably would choose to go back to playa if we were going to Mexico.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank o-state
Reviewed July 26, 2007

Take the time to read this review!!!

I read some of the reviews on this hotel before I went and I have to disagree. The food at this resort is amazing, and I am a very very picky eater. The drinks were fabulous. If there is a particular wine that you may want, ask them, they will get you whatever you want if it's in their power to. Yes there were kids, but I'd rather have that than rowdy teenagers! The views are spectacular.

Some of the reviews that I've read complain about the market and the city but the HOTEL in itself is Fabulous!!!

If you're interested in snorkling or scuba diving the hotel offers free lessons in the pool every morning! Take the adventure tour to Las Caletas or Las Marietas!!!!! It is so worth it.. book your tours on their website online... a little cheaper.

I'm going to Cancun in November and am definately staying at another Palace resort!!!

Stay here!!!! it is so worth every penny.

Tips: Ask for a room closer to the elevator! It's a very big resort and will save you some walking

7  Thank MsMGloria
Reviewed July 24, 2007

From 2 - 9 June 2007, my wife and I stayed at the Vallarta Palace in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. This was a wonderful experience. The hotel, beach, location, staff, rooms, service were wonderful. They go out of
their way to pamper you and each "thank you" is met by a response of,
"it is a pleasure, senior!"

Check-In. My wife and I had driven to the hotel from Mazatlan, where we had stayed the previous week. We were able to have the car unloaded by the hotel staff and then park in the ample parking lot in
front of the hotel. At the reception desk, we were greeted and given cool towels and a colder glass of Champagne. Very efficient check in.
I believe we were then assigned a rep who told us all about the hotel, available/included tours, and, of course, getting us to sign up for a time share presentation (we are already Palace members so this was more of a review of our program).

Room. The room was very nice. All Palace rooms have a double Jacuzzi
to stress their being spa hotels. Though inviting, we never used the thing...it was huge. Though the room was a decent size, it would have
been nice to have the extra space the Jacuzzi took up. There was a very comfortable king sized bed, a stocked fridge, and four bottles of booze (rum, tequila, scotch and something else which I forget). The fridge had a couple of beers, club soda, and other soft drinks and was refilled daily. If you lacked for any refreshment, or for any
food for that matter, there was 24-hour room service. Most rooms overlook the pools and beach and the view is wonderful (see pictures). The only negative was our first room was near some kind of machine that made a terrible deep noise that was obvious at night.
We asked to be moved to another room and the staff happily obliged. No noise problems with the second room.

Food. There were four main restaurants; a "snack" (burgers, hot dogs,
pizza, etc.) restaurant and all were good. Mornings you could have breakfast at Bugambilas (off the main lobby of the hotel) or at the Mar Intimo (overlooking the beach, partially covered). Both served pretty much the same, but wide selection of items. There were also cooked to order eggs and omelets. Bugambilis was a Mexican buffet for lunch and dinner and Mar Intimo was a very beautiful Italian themed restaurant for dinner. There is also La Fiesta which was a sort of Brazilian style restaurant at dinnertime and an Oriental restaurant that we heard was great but didn't try. The service, quality of food and ambiance was top notch at all we tried. We never did room service but I did a fishing trip and they prepared me two box lunches in a convenient to carry box with handle.

Pools/Beach. There are three pools, one had activities, and one was for small children. Both the pool and beach areas had plenty of seating. You didn't have to get up at six in the morning to put a towel on a chair like you do at some places I've been. Also, it was very clean. Wait staff spoiled you bringing drinks to you either poolside or at the beach. Very nice.

Spa. As I said above, Palace Resorts are spa resorts and this one is no different. May wife and I had massages, which were very good. She had a pedicure and I had a manicure as we sat side-by-side overlooking the beach. I don't think they have as many spa amenities as some of the other Palace Resorts but what they had they done well.
They also had other spa services such as hairdressers.

Other. We met the parents of a bride and groom who were, and then did, get married at the hotel. They were extremely pleased with the way it was arranged and how it turned out.

The only problem we had was at check out. We had some confusion over the use of some coupons we were given to use in the spa. The front desk told us we couldn't use them at checkout to pay for services already received. This was a basic, in-house, accounting issue that shouldn't have been a problem. I asked to speak to a manager and she took care of it.

Overall, this was a wonderful stay. Also, the town of Puerto Vallarta
is very nice. I recommend people take the city tour from the hotel. I also did a deep sea fishing trip from the marina that is about a quarter mile south and across the road from the hotel. Caught two huge sailfish. I also recommend a visit to Birdcages, about 8 miles north up the coast. Nice little town with a lot of shops.

9  Thank Southern MD Traveller
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I should preface this review by stating that this is the first time my wife and I have been to Mexico and/or an all inclusive resort.

99% of the staff in this resort is top notch. They all have smiles on their faces and are willing and able to provide the best service they can. The front desk and bartenders were by far the best trained/motivated. The restaurant and pool staff were consistently slow and absent. It gets to the point that you might as well just get up and get your own drink at the bar. Good quality liquor is stocked, and the bartenders know their way around a bar.

The only decent thing about the food that I can say is that it probably won't kill you, and you won't have to loosen your belt by eating too much. It's garbage, plain and simple. I'm in no way a picky eater ... other than I prefer my food edible. Do yourself a favor and order the club sandwich from the room service menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you must go out, do so for dinners and stick with chicken ... actually, the ala carte dinners are not too shabby, the chicken skewers at the Brazilian place is very good.

Get a snorkel and plan on burying your head in the ocean, pool, or the sand between 2-4pm EVERYDAY. They have 'crazy games' on and off during this time, during which the activity gang cranks up the loud speakers and provides non stop English/Spanish gibberish, combined with the pleasant sounds of 'Johnny be good' (played at least 4 times in a row). It's so loud that you can't even hear the children screaming. This can be heard everywhere ... by the pool, by the beach, in the ocean, in your room, everywhere. If you like hearing bingo numbers being broadcast everywhere you go (both in English and Spanish), you will LOVE this about VP.

Kids ... kids, kids, kids ... They are everywhere. The term 'kiddie pool' applies to all 3 of the pools here. Jumping, splashing, shrieking, running ... you know, being kids. If you don't have kids, I'd imagine you don't want to spend your vacation with other people's kids. If that's you, then don't choose this resort. It was July, so this may only be a summertime thing. I'm baffled by those on TA who have stated that this would be a good choice for couples and/or honeymooners. Please take my advise and choose a couples only resort if you're looking for romance.

The rooms were nice. We stayed in a 'Presidential Suite' (what the front desk guy called it), for the first two nights. It was two rooms, one that had been converted to sport a sofa bed and a chair. I'm sure that this would be a good choice for families, but no need for all that room for a couple. We were then moved to a 'honeymoon suite' (again, what the front desk guy called it). This is one of those rooms that has a full balcony, which was a nice addition.

The beach and the ocean were awesome. Beautiful sand, and the mountains that surround the cove are really cool. Red flag conditions provide some great waves. The pool was in good condition. No swim up bar, slow service, kids everywhere, and the Macarena/Mexican techno all the time. Not the most relaxing environment. The water was sometimes warmer than the outside air, so it wasn't all that refreshing either. I recommend that you go early (no one hit the pool until around 10 the week that we were there).

AVOID THE CITY TOUR. I felt like a POW who had just been exposed to reeducation/propaganda films for 6 hours when I got off the bus. You're given 10 minutes to spend in the church, and 25 minutes in the silver shop ... am I the only one that finds something wrong with that? The flea market is HORRIBLE, and the tequila 'factory' is just a shack in the middle of a VERY impoverished village. There may be some enticing aspects of this tour for some of you (there were for us) ... but the reality is that you can buy off the beach, gift shop, and Mexican night, shoot some tequila, and take a nap, and you'll get the same experience as this tour offers.

The sunset tour was AWESOME, the guides really entertain you, and the sites are amazing. Check it out.

I hope this review will prove to be useful to some of you. I hope it has provided some pros and cons. Overall, the vacation was great and provided some great laughs, which is all that's important. If you're already booked to head here, you'll have a great time. If you're still looking, I'd advise you look elsewhere.

8  Thank jeebusfish
Reviewed July 17, 2007

This resort was beautiful although I am partial to the Gulf coast...
Seeing the mountains and the ocean in one setting is totally amazing. The sunsets were to die for! I would recommend that you sign up for the reservations at the towel counter to have your picture made profesionally in the sunet.
The food was just ok. We tried the italian rest, the mexican buffet and the brazilian rest. The Italian rest if probably the best. We had the filet mignon....nothing too awful wonderful but just good.
The service in the rest is very slow especially with your drink orders....if you order a soda, you might get it by the time your 1/2 way finished with your food.
The pool settings are nice. Plenty of chairs.
The rooms are very nice and very well kept. The hotel staff bugs you and awful lot by coming in your room unwanted or stopping by quite often. If you fill out the surveys and compain the slighest...you will get free champagne.
Over all it was a nice vacation......
But i would not go back there.

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank bighousered754
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#20 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Resort & Suites
Marival Resort & Suites
#14 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta? Share your experiences!