“Better than expected”

Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
“Better than expected”
Reviewed March 12, 2006

Despite some VERY negative reviews, we enjoyed our week at Paradise Village.

As suggested in other reviews, the rooms are nothing special. Not horrible, but not very nice. The beds are okay, but not really comfortable. Our first room (with a "Marina View") had a view of nothing but the parking lot. The second bedroom did not even have a window to the outside. However, we asked to move and were put in a room with a view of the marina, the ocean and the mountains (and the parking lot). All-in-all, not bad.

The staff were generally okay. Other than the "rep" at the airport that wanted to try and start selling us within 10 minutes of landing, we were not bothered at all by sales presentations. Staff in the restaurants were generally nice.

The food is not very good. It's edible, but if you are looking for gourmet cuisine, forget it. It's not overly expensive, but it's not cheap either. There is a special theme night each night of the week. We did not attend, but the mexican cowboy night and the fiesta were apparently a lot of fun.

The beach and pool areas are very nice, though very crowded. Get down there by 9AM (or ealier) to reserve a spot. The hotel says you can only reserve a spot for an hour, but nobody will move your towel once you grab a chair.

The main pool is noisy - lots of activities going on all day. The smaller pool is a little bit quieter.

All-in-all, this a pretty good place for a family vacation. It is not a place to go for a quiet get-away, or for college kids looking for a drink-fest. This place is designed for mom, dad and the 2.2 kids (and maybe the grandparents too).

We prefered the Mariott in Aruba (nicer beach, better food in town, nicer rooms) but Aruba is a lot more expensive than Nuevo Vallarta. For the money, this is a good second choice.

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Reviewed March 11, 2006

My family including myself, my wife, our teen kids (17 and 18), and their friends spent 9 days in Paradise Village at the end of February.
When we were booking this hotel in November 2005, it was rated by Tripadvisor as #3 among 23 hotels in Nuevo Vallarta. You would understand our deep concern when we learned several days before our vacation that PV was rated as #14 (it lost 11 ranks just in 3 months!!!). Fortunately our fears and bad feelings were truly baseless. We agree with some reviewers that some people from the hotel staff did not try their very best, sometimes they were rude, slow in response, and not attentive enough to meet our needs. But those people did not spoil our overall good impression about PV. We have been called several times by the timeshare people and invited to presentation (it was their job, and we understood that), but we simply ignored those invitations. We did not go to "take the map" and explored everything ourselves. What we liked the most, was the beach and ocean. Sandy beach with many palapas to hide from the hot sun, shallow ocean bottom, and clean water all made swimming there really joyfull. Very few places in Puerto Vallarta can boast with such a beach. The beach was very long and clean, and it a great place to walk along the shoreline and enjoy the life. The hotel and surrounding landscaping were very clean, our rooms were changed every day, and fully equipped kitchen in each room was a big convenience to us because sometimes we prepared our meal ourselves. The food store in the mall was located in minites of walk from the hotel and had everything to buy, however for the higher price than WAL-MART. It was OK to was and we did not go to WAL-MART just because we wanted to save time for our vacation. The restaurants in the hotel and mall were good and can satisfy everyone both in quality of meal and price.
The only minus in PV was it remoteness from downown Puerto Vallarta and we spend lots of money on taxi ($32 roundway trip for 4 people), but this was not very important to us because we really liked Paradise Village and its location. We recommend this hotel to everyone and probably come back again in several years (usually we never go to the same place twice even if we like it very much).
Family from Seattle, WA

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 1, 2006

WOW! What a great holiday in paradise! This hotel is fantastic... have never felt so safe and entertained in such a long time! I met my parents there halfway through their trip, had no problems with checking in or checking out. Anyone who says there are extra charges, don't let that bother you. True, there are some things that are extra, but what do you expect! We went non-inclusive and I think that's the best way to go, really. You'll probably end up with a decent bill at the end of the trip but I think you'll end up that way anyhow. The mall has cheaper food and you can always take a day trip downtown. Just make sure you leave from the mall (it's only a 1-minute walk). The bus is 12 pesos and cabies won't jip you an extra $5 for leaving from the hotel.

I took a cab by myself to meet my friend at the Marina, felt pretty safe.

They have a pretty cool array of animals on the resort, peacocks and ostriches run free like cats and dogs.

The staff is very friendly, and of course you're going to get the timeshare presentation. Not a big deal. They will entice you to make a decision on your holiday, just let them know it's a big decision and you need more time if that's the case.

The food is fantastic, tequila is WICKED good... have a shot of Don Julio, it's the best!

OH!!! And I strongly recommend going to Los Carmelitas restaurant. It's nestled high up in the mountains/jungle. It's about a 30-45 minute cab ride, but just the view alone is worth it. The food is great, you can't ask for better service or atmosphere. Really, you feel like you are on top of the world!

It was a great trip, can't wait to go again!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2006

We just got back from our vacation at Paradise Village in Nuevo Vallarta, and I have to say, we were very disappointed. In short, unless someone is specifically going there to buy into the vacation club, it’s not worth going for a regular vacation.

Paradise Village is first and foremost a Vacation Club destination. The hotel staff put the hard sell on us as soon as we walked through the door, under the guise of an “orientation” session. When it became apparent that we were not interested in buying into the club, we were made to feel like second class citizens. Our room was on the 3rd floor right over the main entrance, which was noisy from all the cars coming and going. We had no sun at any time during the day and our offer to pay extra for a better room fell on deaf ears. We were told the place was sold out, which may be true, but the hotel staff was quite curt about it. Another guest next to us at checkout (also a non-member) had his reservation bumped because the hotel was oversold. They were very curt with him too. I spoke to a club member, who told me that members are guaranteed the best rooms in the hotel.

To add insult to injury, the hotel maintains a towel card policy where you need towel cards to get a towel. Then when you’re done with your towel, you get the card back. On the day before we checked out, we told the towel guy we didn’t need the cards back because we were checking out the next day. He said ok. Then the next morning, the front desk would not let us check out without the towel cards or else charge us an additional $20 per card ($80 total). The hotel staff was so rude about it, that the clerk forced me to walk out to the beach to retrieve the cards, and then spoke to the towel guy on the phone to tell him not to give me any. I was furious. After a long, loud argument with the clerk, her boss and the hotel manager, I was finally forced to pay the $80 so we wouldn’t miss our flight. I call this stealing, as the hotel has my towels, my towel cards and my money. I was more disappointed by the hotel’s attitude toward us more than anything else…I doubt they treat their club members this way. The manager at one point was yelling at me, “Where are the cards? Where are the cards?” When I told him the hotel has the cards, his response was “we all have to pay for our mistakes.”

For people looking for a great experience in Nuevo Vallarta, this is not the place. We went next door to the Grand Mayan to check it out, and it was beautiful. We spoke to some folks on our return flight that stayed there last week, and they said it was a fantastic experience. You may want to go to the Grand Mayan instead…absolutely gorgeous.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, Wa
Reviewed February 25, 2006

My husband and I are new timeshare owners of Paradise Village and feel satisfied with our purchase. We spent one week and loved the relaxing atmosphere. WE are welcomed with open arms by the guest service staff. Yes, they did ask what we were interested in doing during the week but never pressured to partake in any of the extras. Guest services were helpful in many ways, making dinner reservations in Puerto Vallarta at the Ah Carumba restaurant(excellent view of the city from the top of the hill). Scheduling massages and golf. Helping with the bus to places like Bucerios and Sayalita. Yes, the pool is noisy but there is a quiet pool at the north end of the complex and find it very relaxing. I was a bit surprised that they let people from the cruise lines use their beach! It made for a very crowded beach on those days. Our room was clean and well appointed. 1 thing to bring is dish soap and coffee with filters. I wish they would provide dish soap so you don't have to buy it in the market. As soon as the soap was available the dishes were done by the maid service. Our room overlooked the entry way which wasn't the best but we made due with it. WE did complain and they were willing to switch our rooms but we were already unpacked and didn't want to bother. Next year we will be ready if the view isn't what we want. The zoo is sad but I heard that the zoo is going to be removed in the next year. That is a good thing, it does bother me to see them in such tight quarters. We did not eat on sight. Every night we enjoyed dinner in other locations: Fajita Republic, Napolito's in the mall, Los Palamos Dorado at the Marina, Ah Caramba in PV and Meson Bay in Bucerios. We loved our quiet relaxxing vacation and can't wait until next year.

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank sam54
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2006

My family has just returned from a wonderful family holiday. The time share sales people did not bother us at all. They tried to talk to us once and we gave them a stern NO and that was it. I also had no problems with the service. We never locked our wallets or passports. Staff was always friendly and helpful. We tipped our maids in pesos everyday. The weather was perfect, the beach beautiful and the pools are well located. We found our 2 bedroom ocean view room clean and convenient since we were travelling with young children. There is a near by grocery store and we bought drinks and breakfast food. We did not particpate in the all-inclusive. It was cheaper charging the meals to our room and not having the aggreviation of finding out that not everything was included. I found the gym so-so and preferred running on the beach. The zoo was a bit smelly but the kids enjoyed seeing the animals. We also went whale watching and saw several whales and a baby dolphin. As for the food, we enjoyed the breakfast buffet, the Western dinner buffet and the Lobster night. Overall, the hotel did not feel like a 5 star hotel. By the end of the week we were tired of the food. Despite it's short comings, we had a good time & I would recommend it for families.

5 Thank Janbinto
S.F.Bay area, CA
Reviewed February 17, 2006

This is a terrible joke of a hotel in my opinion. All they want to do is stalk you and get you to pay big $$$$$$ for a TIME SHARE.
They have a nice pool but they allow it to become overcrowded with cruise ship visitors.
It's a pain to be interrogated every time you need a towel. $20 charge appeared on the bill even when the towel got returned.
The food is marginal at best. The All Inclusive is a joke - lots of "surcharges" for anything decent on the menue.
The front desk was very indifferent to complaints. They were angry because we refused to take the "tour" which was really a lengthy time share trick.
This was a lot of money for a marginal vacation.
P.S. Those poor caged animals- just saaaad.

Stayed September 2005