“I don't know how it could be better...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa

Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Surrey, B.C. Canada
“I don't know how it could be better...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2005

My first encounter with Paradise Village was in January of 2004. I do extensive traveling throughout Canada and the US and on this occasion was in PV filming a PBS golf show. Paradise Village had provided us with the accommodation. My impression at that time was it would be a great place to take my family, and although we were only there for 3 nights (and I mean nights as the days were spent filming), I knew it was something special.

So, fast-forward to December 2004. We checked in with our 4 and 6 year olds and another family with their children. What followed were 12 of the best days we could have imagined.

Cleanliness:
First of all for me is cleanliness. The place is spotless. The rooms were clean, large and comfortable. The maid was excellent and although the signs in the kitchen said they do NOT do dishes, we found with a 4-dollar tip a day, they were always done. We had the least expensive room (the Junior Suite with Marina view), and it was still well appointed and above all spotless. We had probably the worst location as well, across the hall from the elevator and next to the lobby atrium 3 floors up, and yet were rarely bothered by outside noise or disturbances. We never heard anything from above or below.

Safety:
With children there is always the safety factor. Paradise Village is a gated resort in Nuevo Vallarta, so I felt safer their than I do at home. The purified tap water was a nice touch as well. I had read on several forums that the time-share people at Paradise Village were relentless. This is the farthest thing from the truth. We were never approached, and ironically this is probably the only place we would consider buying a timeshare! We joked repeatedly that maybe we look like we don’t have any money.

Activities:
The activities staff was first rate. There was always something to do – from beach volleyball to lazy pool games – we all enjoyed the activities. They did not forget about the kids either. Most activities around the pool included the children, or had a separate event for children. Most of the beach activities (like volleyball) were for adults only. We had intended to put our kids in their “Kids Camp”, but we were always so busy, we never go around to it. I did think the cost of the club was a bit exorbitant – $27 USD per day per child – however the adults that we talked to that had used the service seemed pleased. The kid’s playground at the beach and mall were welcomed as well. The kids especially enjoyed the zoo – every day around noon they let the less dangerous animals out to enjoy a walk around. It was very strange to see ostriches roaming around the entranceway. I will say that if I were a couple, I'd probably think twice about staying here. The beach is always quiet but the pools always had lots of children in and around them. One "lovely couple" was yelling at me because my kids kept waking them up... it was 10:30 in the morning!

Food:
As it turned out the family we were traveling with, really had wanted an all-inclusive resort - and for some time we had considered the Melia. All-inclusive have one problem in my opinion. There is no incentive to offer a wide range of meals to suit everyone, because you’ve already paid for it. There is also no incentive to offer excellent service as they know you’ll be back regardless for the next meal. At Paradise Village they do offer an all-inclusive program, but frankly the cost is so high I don’t know who would take it. We just paid as we went and the service and food quality was excellent. We had planned to eat several times in town but ended up eating every single dinner in the complex. I had read on several forums that the cost was expensive. I don’t know how to respond to this as you have so many choices. Some days when we wanted to go on the cheap and have the taste of home - we walked over to the mall and had McDonalds, Subway or Dominos. Most days we ate at the Tulum restaurant, our personal favorite. Meals were reasonable in the $8 - $14 range for dinner, less expensive for breakfast and lunch, and with an extensive kids menu that was around $4. You sat overlooking the beach with palm trees swaying overhead. We have paid a lot more for the same thing in Hawaii. The best part was the theme nights. We attended 2 – the Lobster Fest and Italian Night. For Lobster Fest they move an entire restaurant onto the beach, with a live band, salad and desert bars and more ambiance than I’ve ever had. This was our most expensive meal for the 4 of us. I will ad that our kids love lobster, so they shared one as well and the total bill was $110. The Italian night featured great food and a roving Mariachi band – our total bill with drinks – about $50.00. Of course if you never want to eat out, you can always prepare every meal in your room.

In closing I have to say that this was my best time in Mexico. I have been to Cabo, PV, Ixtapa, Mexico City, San Jose Del Cabo and Guadalajara. Although each place was special, at this time in my life with children, Nuevo Vallarta and Paradise Village exceeded my expectations. The beach was perfect, the pools were fabulous, and represents great value. It’s not the least expensive place in PV, but as the old adage goes, “you get what you pay for”. On the last day my wife and I sat down to fill out the questionnaire form left in our room. One of the final questions was “What could we do to make your stay better”. It actually took us until the following day to come up with a response… it could always be less money!

25 Thank barabsky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2005

I've read a few of the other reviews of PVR&S, and I must say, for overall value, this resort hits on all my hot buttons.
You see, with two small children, 6&4, we need EASE of use, or it just ain't a vacation for mom and dad. We vacation 6-8 weeks of the year, the majority of which is with our children, and PVR&S has all the amenities that keep the children happy with some added benefits that keep mom and dad happy.
True, PVR&S is a little like going to an American resort in Mexico, but with the help of a rental car, you can get out and experience what you want without giving up the modern conveniences. (is't kinda like when we used to go camping and sleep in a tent, now we have a camper with things like heat and working toilets.....ya know, the old way was fun, but the new way is good too....)

The time share people are only as pushy as you allow them to be. A polite
WE ARE NOT INTERESTED will deter ANY further attempts. But if you try to take advantage of all the "freebies" they will pound you into submission. Ya just can't have it both ways...no?

The main pool area IS noisy and fun, but not in a "spring break" kind of way....most of the games are for the kids, and the music is not turned up til mid afternoon, and only for about 2 hrs. If thats not your thing, pick up your stuff and go to the "quiet pool"....problem solved.

Spa time is fantastic...while not cheap. Course, in my experience spa time anywhere is EXHORBITANT. I believe that's why it's typically considered a TREAT!

Last but not least, you can't judge a Mexico resort by American resort standards. Having said that however, PVR&S is in my book a 9 on the Mexican scale, and a solid 7 By American standards.

Just one man's not so humble opinion.

• Stayed May 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank nolan1100
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day stay at Paradise Village. This was our first time there and after reading some of these posts I really wasn't sure what to expect. We enjoyed ourselves very much. We had room on the marina side of the hotel and noise was not a problem. Our room was huge: a king bed, two full baths, & a nice kithchen with a full size refridgerator. Having two bathrooms was a special treat! We are not into the timeshare thing and had no desire to take a tour. On our second morning we received a call inviting us to go on the timeshare tour but we said we weren't interested and we were never bothered again. I was afraid they would keep approaching us about it but they didn't. We were able to lay on the beach or by the pool in peace.
Now about the towel situation this is the deal: When you check in they give you a small piece of paper with your name, room number, & check out date on it - this is for the towels. The first time you go to the towel hut you give the man this slip of paper. He fills out a form that he keeps on file while you are staying at the hotel. When you get a towel you give him your room # and he marks down how many towels you have checked out. When you bring the towel back at the end of the day he crosses off the towels. On your last day he will give you a slip of paper to give to the front desk saying you have returned all of you towels. My advice is to turn in your towel every day before you leave the pool or beach. The towel hut is open until 7pm every night.
We were surprised at how many families with small children were at the hotel. There seemed to be a lot of activities for the kids and all the families seemed to be having a great time. There is a grocery store next to the hotel so you can load up your in room fridge if you want. FYI the maids don't do the dishes and there is no dish soap in the room. All in all the hotel was very nice and we would stay there again.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2005

My husband and I went on our honeymoon and loved it! We were lucky to be by the quiet pool thank goodness! We can't wait to go back. My only other complaint is it isn't totally all inclusive some things are extra. But we can't wait to go back, don't do the massage when they are having a water class it ruins the atmosphere.

1 Thank jstokes
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2005

The finest of all resorts? No. But Paradise sits on the nicest (also the the longest) beach in Puerto Vallarta. The sand is like velvet and is 10 times cleaner than the beaches downtown. The breakfast is great, the lunch is fair to good, and at night--GO OUT TO DINNER! Downtown Puerto Vallarta has some of the best restaurants in the world. I have been going to Vallarta for over ten years and I still find incredible restaurants every time I go.

Every place in Mexico which offers timeshares puts on incredible pressure to buy. Paradise village is no different. Just tell them you are already a member or you already went to the presentation and they will move on to their next victim.

I rent a car every time I go down. I've stayed at some of the nicest resorts in Mexico and the US and they all get old after a couple of days. Getting a car and exploring restaurants, beaches, and small towns is priceless. Driving down there is easy to learn and if you miss a turn--who cares, you're on vacation.

We bring our own towels from home so we don't have to worry about the towel charge. Go the laundromat at the mall and give the nice ladies a bag of your laundry and they will have washed, dried, and folded neatly after a couple hours (it's really cheap and a nice tip goes a long way).

The loud pool can be very annoying, but my kids love it. Just ask to stay in the old building(which has been updated) and overlooks the quiet pool.

Overall, I highly recommend Paradise Village. Just start out renting a car for one day, take taxi's into town for dinner EVERY night, get a room by the quiet pool, and you'll want to come back year after year.

Feel free to email with any questions.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Auburn, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2005

First the positive... Pasqual in charge of dinner reservations, Hector the omelet cook, and Carlos in charge of rooms worked very hard to make all customers happy, including us. While there for a whole week, they worked long hours in packed holiday conditions to try to work out the problems of too many people and overbooked accommodations. Paradise hotel’s long beach is the best feature (a 5 -10 min walk from the condos). The spa (for massages and facials) is also very good. The gym next to the spa, however, costs extra and is very crowded. They charged my son $22.00 to lift weights on two days ($11.00 a day). This was not the information given when we booked our rooms.

Also, somewhat surprising was the very loud, very busy road that runs between the beach hotels and the mall. From the Paradise Village pictures on the web, it looks as if all the property belongs to Paradise, when in fact the hotels across from the mall are not Paradise property, thus limiting access to the beach. If you stay in the Grand Marina condos, it is not close to the beach or all-inclusive restaurants. It is, however, close to the Jungle Nightclub, next door in the mall and you can hear the music late at night. We were promised marina view condos, which were not assigned to us upon arrival. After a 24-hour wait, they tried to find enough marina views, but were overbooked and thus-- in good conscience--tried to make it right by giving us three-bedroom condos instead of two bedrooms. Yes, they were spacious and beautiful, but half of them overlooked the noisy road and other hotels. You may also receive keys that don’t work or only two keys per condo, even if 5 people are staying there. Do not try to rent condos at the Marina through the sales office folks, who perhaps are new employees, because they couldn’t follow through on promises regarding food options, room choices, excursion reservations, and gym prices. They were hard to find when inconsistencies/problems arose and never told us we didn’t get the excursion reservations we assumed were solid.

In addition, at Paradise, you must wear these plastic identification bracelets. If you want an all inclusive food package, it can be a very tricky process. In fact, checking in and checking out at the hotel front desk were unpleasant processes. The people working the desk do their best, but the process takes quite a bit of time. When we finally got a ticket that showed we had indeed finished the checkout process, the bellman who helped us get a taxi, took them. Then, when we got down to the guard gate, they said we couldn’t leave, but had to go back because we didn’t have our ticket to show that we had checked out. We were in a hurry to get to the airport because the checkout process took a long time, so then when they wouldn’t let us leave, it was doubly frustrating. (Again....just miscommunication or an inconsistent system) Most of the employees were apologetic.

Once again, the beach and spa were beautiful. Maybe it was just the December rush, or booking the condos through the sales office, I hope so-- because some nice, hard-working employees spent time and energy (both theirs and ours) trying to undo too many problems that could have been avoided.

14 Thank TeriJean
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2004

This was a awesome place to go to. My family always has a great time. Even my daughter has a great time and she is only 10! I give it a bajillion thumbs up! Great Great!

6 Thank emily2005
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,617 reviews

Been to Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!