“Paradise is what you make of it...”

Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Heber City, Utah
“Paradise is what you make of it...”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was hesitant to revisit Paradise Village after reading the recent reviews. It had been 5 years since I'd been and I just couldn't believe that I was reading about the same resort. My dad is an owner though so this was a good option for us. Yes, the timeshare pushers are hardcore. That is one topic that cannot be argued. But for us it was easy. We KNEW we were not in a position to walk away as owners. So we went to the presentation, listened, declined, and got our discounted adventures. But I have to tell you, once we were out on our own, we found that we could have gotten the same "discounted" prices through other vendors anyway. Oh well...
The buildings are beautiful. We asked for a double room with a marina view and got just that. The full kitchen was nice. The marina view peaceful and beautiful. The room did not seem run down at all.
We too were surprised to see the main pool closed. This is really something they should tell you in advance. But it opened after a few days and we used it. ONCE. I later laughed about what a big deal I had made when I saw it closed. But if we had kids with us I imagine it would have been a bigger issue. Yes, there are vendors on the beach. I ,personally, love to shop while I lay on the beach. Some of these guys are the same vendors that have been there for 17 years. I thought it was fun to see them again. They aren't stragglers who sneak in off the street. They are licensed vendors, approved to be there. And if you politely tell them that you're not interested, they go away. I am in disbelief at the tales of bad service that I've read in some of the other reviews. We both agree that absolutely every single employee we came in contact with (with the exception of the timeshare pushers) seemed genuinely interested in assisting us. The housekeepers, groundskeepers, desk staff, bell staff, bartenders, waiters, on and on...They were fantastic. I work in hospitality and came home hoping to share this enthusiasm with my staff. The food was delicious at each restaurant and we tried them all. El Pescatore was probably my favorite. The Mexican Seafood place in the mall was out other "off-site" favorite. As for activities- We did the outdoor adventure with the zipline, water slide, mule ride, etc. What a blast! Totally worth the money. Anything with Vallarta Adventures is top notch. But what we really enjoyed was fishing. Go down to the Paradise dock and charter a boat with Gus and Izzy! They gave us a great deal on a 6 hour fishing trip and then gave us a private boat ride to Yelapa the day we checked out of Paradise. We ended up renting a casa on the beach of Yelapa for our last few nights. What a trip! We had a great time. The resort was beautiful, the service unbeatable. Yes, it has it's bass ackwards moments, and I find them endearing. If you are uptight and impatient than Mexico is NOT the place for you.

Room Tip: Marina view is quiet and beautiful
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TripXpert1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Calgary AB. Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I have recently been reading several reviews on Paradise Village and do not see why some people are so negative about it. I am soon going for my 6th trip, others seem to have visited 8, 10 times so , obviously it can not be all that bad as in the peak travel seasons , this place is packed. Have been to other resorts in Mexico, all have their high and low points. All beds at Mexican hotels are rock hard, some have good food , some not so good. Security and service , clean beach and terrific gardens make this place very attractive . You do not have to go all inclusive , so you can eat at other places off the resort, explore a few cantinas and local restaurants . You do not have to go and listen to the time share deals , other than some of you discounts will not be offered. At least that's how it was before. Be aware that this resort is not a big party place that goes on into the wee hours of the night . Patio parties and pools are closed at 10 pm. So if you want to have a late night bash, off to downtown P.V.for some all nighters. Mall is very close by if you need anything ,liquor , smokes, groceries , T shirt and trinket stores , travel info,sales people are there if you need them. If you do not want a hasel, do not make eye contact. Taxi stand and local bus stops are located in front of the mall. Have used the bus several times and I find it a better way to go to downtown P.V. as it stops every where and you get to see life in the area as it is ,and not the groomed resort lifestyle. Yes the t shirt and trinket vendors on the beach can be annoying , don't let such a thing ruin your trip. There are lots of free and fun things to do. Kayaks, boogie boards , volley ball beach toys like frisbie and football to throw around , and daily events around the family pool areas. Fishing trips can be booked on or off the resort, I personally get 2 or 3 quotes ,then book my fishing , 4,6 and 8 hour trips and always caught fish . Vallarta Adventures is located close by and has several day trips that are quite fun. I have never had any problems with language or staff that ignore you. A positive and friendly attitude also goes along way with the staff. Am looking forward to my next visit and write about my experiences, as I consider myself a veteran traveler all over the world and do not expect the best always. Have learned to have a little more patients when traveling as things happen . Will write about my next visit with the good and bad sides Adios. .

Room Tip: Rooms on the marina side are quieter and still have nice view , from about the fourth floor up.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mark G
Emeryville, California
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Paradise Village is a must stay resort!!!! My family & I have been traveling back to Paradise Village for the past 10+ years. We feel in love the first visit and love it more and more each time. The spa is world class!!! The rooms have amazing views and are very spacious. Great location. You have everything you need within walking distance. The staff and management are exceptional!!!! The resort is run extremely well and the grounds and amenities are immaculate. There are several staff members who have been there for more than a decade. Everyone is very professional, warm welcoming and friendly.

A great location for families or singles. I cant say enough good things about Paradise Village. You wont be disappointed a true home away from home.

Room Tip: Marina view or ocean are both fantastic. Above the 4th floor has the best views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Cameronworldtraveler
abbotsford
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Firstly, I'm a time-share owner for 20 years and have travelled to five continents, so am somewhat familiar as to how all this works.
When we arrived, we were treated to a confusing maze of sales people calling for our attention - disorientating, but nothing big.
Resort was beautiful and beach with the huts were amazing. We loved the food throughout our stay and enjoyed the pools and the activities.
The problem with corruption is that is stains all the other positive events and left us feeling unsafe.
We went on the “90 minute” presentation which actually took 3 hours. The presentation itself was fine and informative.
At the end, I informed them that I was already a timeshare owner and not looking to get into a new property. This is where it started to turn. The closers came in and tried to convince us. But then they presented us with a piece of paper that looked very much like an invoice. “Just sign this and you can go.” I would not sign it because it looked like an invoice with $12,500 USD on the bottom for selling price. Three times they insisted that I sign this so that I could go. After a while, they confessed that this was an introductory price for an every other year time-share. I told them yet again that I was not interested in buying anything. They crossed a line through the document and started to deride us personally.
When I talked to the front desk about my experience, I got a call threatening that, if I wanted to complain, that they were informed that I did not complete my full 90 minute presentation and they would be forced to charge me full price for the week and not the discounted rate.
Needless to say, I stopped complaining, until now - 10 months later.
Great resort, but some of the time-share staff are corrupt.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank peteski3
Prescott
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We just got back from our trip to paradise 11/7/2013. First off I've been a huge supporter of this hotel. We just spent our 9th trip there, the first one was as guest and the rest on a time share ownership.
Things have really been slipping there the last few years. The hotel is starting to show it's age, starting with looking run down in several areas. They are trying to up grade the rooms but we had several doors hanging off hinges, tile looking old and cracked and furniture through out showing wear.

We have always paid for the all inclusive which has been going up in price with selections of food and beverages dwindling. Use to be able to order lobster and any type of alcohol desired. Now the new manager has removed lobster not only from menu but even the soups. On top of that they are told not to serve the drinks in the old standard plastic cup but smaller cups to the all inclusives to save money. We had to specifically ask for regular cups. The overall feel is one of a 2 Star Resort. It was really disappointing. I'm seriously thinking of selling my 7,600 points for almost any cost to get out.

I will say the usual waiters Gabby on the beach and Havier in side were great, they tried to do anything they could to make us feel special. However some of the other regulars servers are starting to adapt the attitude the resort is exhibiting, get in and out and don't ask for anything other then well drinks etc..... We spoke with 4 other couples all time share owners who felt the same. It's just not the same ole paradise we bought into.... It's just sad...

The beach and pool areas were still fantastic, the gardens and premises overall were great. It's just a feel that is not as it has been in the past.

As I said I have posted here several times after almost every visit with all 5 star ratings and great reviews. The failure as I see it now is the management decisions to cheapen the food and beverage. I just wish they would offer another selection for all inclusive with a higher rate if need be that would allow better selections.

We will visit again in April 2014, if things are as they are now or worse my points will surely be up for sale....

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must or your looking at the street
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Odie4az
DeLand, Florida, United States
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Fist off this is the 1st review i have EVER written on ANYTHING. It drives me crazy to see people putting down this hotel. I've stayed at other place on PVR before I even purchased this. I've owned a timeshare here and I go every other year. Some people are very unreasonable about their reviews. I've have owned this for almost 10 years now. Idk why people are saying its run down bc every time I go there there are renovating it and updating it. It's not a brand new hotel but they do there best to keep it updated. I also own a timeshare at the Mayan next door to the place. I have NEVER had a problem when I stay there. Everyone's friendly and I've NEVER felt pressured into leaving a tip. Most people leave tips so why people are say that felt like they were demanded to tip is crazy. The place is very clean and great food and restaurants. Prices are reasonable what else do people expect when you stay at a full service hotel. I travel all over the world and this place isn't any different the every other hotel I've stayed at. Yes some langue issues, but again that's anywhere in the world you go. If you can't get an answer from someone then ask someone else. They have always been very helpful to me. Great service and to me and my family we absolutely love it. They offer a lot of great excursions for reasonable prices as well as being very convent to get to. Hope this clears up some of what other people are saying. Already set to go back next year.

Room Tip: I've always stayed in the penthouses so those are the only rooms I know and love. Jacuzzis on th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Seana S
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We are having a very nice time and the accommodations are nice, not fantastic. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Beach is great and gently sloping. Oh, and so warm - probably close to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. 10 drink coupons for $30US is a steal, but don't forget cash to tip waitstaff that delivers to your lounge chair. I will say I found the waitstaff to be not particularly friendly.

Time share presentation recommendations to guests: we learned they offered different prices to different people, so our guess is to get the best prices indicate you are at the low end of the income range! Tour took well over 2 hours, not 90 minutes. Salesperson was very pleasant, but once we made it clear we were not buying AND we ask for written materials to review in our room we were handed off to the "bouncer" who coldly, and with out handing us a single piece of written material, escorted us to yet another delay before we had opportunity to get our discounted excursions. I learned later from a guest that they purchased on their 2nd trip here. If you are seriously considering buying, that's probably a good idea as you will have time to do research. My guess is there is LOTS of room to negotiate!

As for the rooms, a few notes for management: tv picture is fuzzy - no sense having an HD TV if you are going to show a low-def picture; and including a small bottle of dish soap would be most welcome; nicer, less hard pillows would be nice,

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple