My husband and I are currently staying at the Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta. I am giving my review based upon what has happened to date:
1. Check in Service- very good. There were quite a few people checking in as we were, and 5 people working the front desk. We had to wait a mere 10 minutes to check in. I asked for an upgrade, and while we got a balcony room, the front desk told me honestly that the balcony was a little small and that we could get a ground floor room with a patio the next day if that was what we preferred. We agreed that was amenable to us. The next morning, the front desk was already working on a room for us to move. Great followup and concern from the front desk staff to make sure that each item we asked for (and was within their control) was accommodated. Kudos! Specifically, those that assisted with all of the details were Ana, Menehan and Miguel. Thank everyone for being patient with all of our demands.
2. Room(s)-We were originally in #354 (balcony) for the first night, which had an ok view of the ocean. Due to the humidity, the rooms do have a little musty smell when they are closed up for awhile. The same can be said for the room that they moved us to (ground floor, garden view but not ocean view). I had read that there were issues with the air conditioning, and so we were prepared for some warm nights. Not so.......when we first got to each room (so, this must be consistent), each room was a little warm and muggy. Once we turned the thermostat down and went down to the pool for awhile, the room was pretty cold when we got back. Everyone else that we have spoken with said that their rooms were cold enough that they had to adjust the thermostat because it got to cold. However, the rooms were clean and the shower water was hot. Overall, rooms were nice, although beds are a little hard. Hasn´t stopped us from sleeping soundly any of the nights so far.
3. Staff - I cannot say enough good things about the staff. I have seen everyone working very hard at keeping the grounds clean (and by the way-there is currently a significant amount of work being done on the building, both inside and out, but it has not disturbed us). The waiters have gone out of their way to provide anything that you ask for, and the lobby bar staff is absolutely wonderful. Daniel, who has been our server at the adult pool everyday is fabulous and has a wonderful sense of humor! Security has a constant presence, but I have found them to be very nice and willing to help in any way possible.
There is one person in particular that I would like to mention: Nubia. She is a concierge that has bent over backwards to accommodate us in every way. She has made reservations inside the hotel, outside the hotel and with all of our WOW excursions and let us know taxi fares (so helpful!). If you will ask for her at the beginning of your stay, she will help in assisting to set everything up. If you don´t see something offered to your liking, let her know...she is really creative.
4. Location/Excursions: The location is very close to the marina and the beach is very clean. We have not had any problems with the local vendors. They are trying to make a living, but are respectful of the word NO THANK YOU. The beach is beautiful, although the water is not the nice, aquamarine blue that I was thinking, but that is not the fault of the hotel. However, the day excursion to Las Caletas was breathtaking--the boat ride was nice and smooth (try the rum punch!) and the area was lush and the water was clear. Great to snorkel (comes free with the trip, along with paddleboarding, kayaking and lunch). We are going back at the end of the trip for another excursion that I keep hearing mentioned: Rhythms of the Night. No electricity, just hundreds of candles and lanterns. Dinner on the beach with candlelight and a great show (so we are told). I will update after it happens.
Overall, the trip so far has been beautiful and we have met some wonderful people from around the world. The atmosphere is laid back and allows you to enjoy yourself. My husband is already wanting to plan to come back in the near future. Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta is breath taking and a great place to enjoy the scenery and beaches, and a more laid back vacation.
Stay tuned for updates.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Hotwire and HRS so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel