“What an awesome experience!”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Houston, Texas
“What an awesome experience!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I are currently staying at the Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta. I am giving my review based upon what has happened to date:

1. Check in Service- very good. There were quite a few people checking in as we were, and 5 people working the front desk. We had to wait a mere 10 minutes to check in. I asked for an upgrade, and while we got a balcony room, the front desk told me honestly that the balcony was a little small and that we could get a ground floor room with a patio the next day if that was what we preferred. We agreed that was amenable to us. The next morning, the front desk was already working on a room for us to move. Great followup and concern from the front desk staff to make sure that each item we asked for (and was within their control) was accommodated. Kudos! Specifically, those that assisted with all of the details were Ana, Menehan and Miguel. Thank everyone for being patient with all of our demands.

2. Room(s)-We were originally in #354 (balcony) for the first night, which had an ok view of the ocean. Due to the humidity, the rooms do have a little musty smell when they are closed up for awhile. The same can be said for the room that they moved us to (ground floor, garden view but not ocean view). I had read that there were issues with the air conditioning, and so we were prepared for some warm nights. Not so.......when we first got to each room (so, this must be consistent), each room was a little warm and muggy. Once we turned the thermostat down and went down to the pool for awhile, the room was pretty cold when we got back. Everyone else that we have spoken with said that their rooms were cold enough that they had to adjust the thermostat because it got to cold. However, the rooms were clean and the shower water was hot. Overall, rooms were nice, although beds are a little hard. Hasn´t stopped us from sleeping soundly any of the nights so far.

3. Staff - I cannot say enough good things about the staff. I have seen everyone working very hard at keeping the grounds clean (and by the way-there is currently a significant amount of work being done on the building, both inside and out, but it has not disturbed us). The waiters have gone out of their way to provide anything that you ask for, and the lobby bar staff is absolutely wonderful. Daniel, who has been our server at the adult pool everyday is fabulous and has a wonderful sense of humor! Security has a constant presence, but I have found them to be very nice and willing to help in any way possible.

There is one person in particular that I would like to mention: Nubia. She is a concierge that has bent over backwards to accommodate us in every way. She has made reservations inside the hotel, outside the hotel and with all of our WOW excursions and let us know taxi fares (so helpful!). If you will ask for her at the beginning of your stay, she will help in assisting to set everything up. If you don´t see something offered to your liking, let her know...she is really creative.

4. Location/Excursions: The location is very close to the marina and the beach is very clean. We have not had any problems with the local vendors. They are trying to make a living, but are respectful of the word NO THANK YOU. The beach is beautiful, although the water is not the nice, aquamarine blue that I was thinking, but that is not the fault of the hotel. However, the day excursion to Las Caletas was breathtaking--the boat ride was nice and smooth (try the rum punch!) and the area was lush and the water was clear. Great to snorkel (comes free with the trip, along with paddleboarding, kayaking and lunch). We are going back at the end of the trip for another excursion that I keep hearing mentioned: Rhythms of the Night. No electricity, just hundreds of candles and lanterns. Dinner on the beach with candlelight and a great show (so we are told). I will update after it happens.

Overall, the trip so far has been beautiful and we have met some wonderful people from around the world. The atmosphere is laid back and allows you to enjoy yourself. My husband is already wanting to plan to come back in the near future. Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta is breath taking and a great place to enjoy the scenery and beaches, and a more laid back vacation.

Stay tuned for updates.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms with even numbers have the best ground floor views. As soon as you arrive, kick...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CPrinzel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (927)
  • Polish first
Abbotsford
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We were upgraded to Royal Club where to food and alcohol were superb! We were blessed with an amazing concierge, Lou Lou, we was organized, sweet and allowed us to have a stress free vacation. The other staff including adult pool waiter Daniel, were kind, funny, considerate, etc. a fantastic trip and we loved the intimate and small setting, compared to the bigger resorts.

• Stayed June 2014
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the Occidental from June 20-27th and we were very pleased with our stay. We paid for an ocean view room and, as others have written, the view was minimal; however, the staff immediately moved us to a room with a small balcony. Turned out we spent little time in our room viewing scenery anyway. Next time, I'd just forgo the ocean view. Our room was clean and the mini bar was stocked. The cleaning staff did an excellent job, and we enjoyed the extra of the towel animals each day.
We had a few issues that did not overshadow the wonderful time we had, but would be worthwhile for the resort to address. One issue was that someone nearby was a chain smoker and it seemed to permeate our room at certain times. It would be nice if the hotel designated certain blocks of rooms for smoking so that guests who are very sensitive to cigarette smoke don't have to deal with a constant stream. The second issue was the air-conditioning, which ran very inconsistently. Given the very high temperatures at the end of June, we were a bit uncomfortable at times. The final issue was dealing with drunken, loud guests at 3:00 in the morning. I'm all for a good time, but the halls echo and it is dis-jarring to be awakened by screeching drunks. That happened nearly every night. Since the resort does such a nice job with security during the day, it would be worth it to have them patrol the halls at night, especially when the bars close, so that guests are encouraged to keep it quiet.
Aside from those three annoyances, we had a fantastic time. The grounds are beautiful, the staff was wonderful, and the food was impressive. We did not have a bad meal. Even my fiancé, who is a gym fanatic, gained a few pounds on this trip. We did not upgrade to the Royal Club, and I did not feel like we missed out. The Buffet has such a great variety of choices each day that we never got tired of eating there. I am picky about buffets, but this was truly great food. I loved that there were plenty of healthy choices like fresh fruit, seafood, and steamed veggies at every meal. I'm not sure what kind of fish was served regularly- orange roughy perhaps?- but I never tired of it because the chefs served it in so many delicious ways. We really enjoyed the shrimp, shellfish, and sushi as well. We also liked that we were able to sample more local food. The chilaleques- sp? (corn tortillas cut in pieces, baked with cheese and delicious sauces) were my favorite for breakfast. We also loved the cactus salad. There were omelet, pasta and carving stations every day. The chips, guacamole and pico de gallo were fresh and delicious as well. We would have been happy eating at the Buffet for every meal of our stay. The restaurants were excellent as well. They really go out of their way to make your experience special. My only suggestion would be to serve smaller portions, because with so many courses it is impossible not to waste food.
We spent most of our time at the adult pool because the ocean was so warm. I liked that when we were there, we didn't hear any children. I'm a teacher and love kids, but this was a couples vacation and I liked that we were able to keep it that way while families enjoyed themselves at the family pool. The bar service at the pool was phenomenal. Daniel did a fantastic job getting to know our drink preferences and keeping our glasses full. I was also extremely embarrassed that fellow Wisconsinites were so incredibly rude to him. I watched a man who was being well-served with high maintenance requests put a coin peso on the patio to tip, rather than in Daniel's hand. Daniel, of course, was nothing but accommodating and polite. I wanted to say something to Daniel, but didn't want to insult his pride further. Really so demeaning and racist to do that to another human being.
I'd read on a post before we left that we could walk to Bucerias along the beach in 45 minutes, so we decided to take the trek. Not. A. Good. Idea. We are both in good shape, but it was way too hot for a TWO HOUR walk, and our ankles killed us due to the angle of the sand on the beach. When we finally got there, the locals laughed at us in disbelief. Needless to say, take the bus or a cab. We did take the bus into Puerto Vallarta successfully and thought it was worth seeing both. If we hadn't been so exhausted, we would have spent more time in Bucerias. We got better prices there, and I wished we had stayed for dinner.
All in all, the Occidental is fantastic and I would absolutely return there and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tanya K
West Kelowna, BC
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My 15 year old son and I just stayed for 1 week at this resort June 21-28. We got an excellent deal from Air Canada Vacations. I like to organize my reviews into subtopics as follows:

Check-in/Arrival: Not enough front desk staff to make this process smooth, there was a bus full of people waiting in line for too long. We were offered beer and soft drinks in line which made it less painful. I e-mailed the hotel directly for special room requests and they were accommodated.

Room/housekeeping: Room was large enough for two of us, I wouldn't want to be a family of 4 in the room though. Bathroom was spacious. No hair conditioner (I bring my own). Maid service was good, the only complaint would be the floor, not swept properly. My son left the safe open one day and when we came back to the room it had not been cleaned, for security purposes they left the room alone until we returned and lock the safe. I appreciated that.

Concierge/front desk: Friendly and somewhat helpful. They don't seem to know how the bus system works (but yet that is how they all get to work and back) I think they just wanted us to take taxis. They also wouldn't look anything up on the internet for us (I wasn't going to pay $10/day for wi-fi) That bothered me as I only wanted an address for crying out loud!

Restaurants: The buffet is good, the bacon is not! Good waiter service. The Mexican al-a-carte is good, the Italian is just ok. The snack bar is also good.

Bars: Lobby bar is excellent! Hector and Ricardo are wonderful and they make the best drinks at the resort. The beach bar is good, the bartenders do a good job and work hard.

Pool: Very difficult to find a shady lounge chair, full of kids, water was quite warm probably due to the temperature outside. I didn't use the adults pool but there were more chairs there in the shade and of course no kids, however my son is 15 and only 18 and over could be there. :(

Beach: Plenty of lounge chairs, no matter what time of day we could always find a palapa! I loved that I didn't have to go and reserve a palapa at 6am!!!! Drink service was ok, there was only 1 waiter that looked after the pool and the whole beach, they needed 2. Jorge did the best job he could given he was solo!

Nightly entertainment: Half were ok, half were not so great. Karaoke night is fun!

Daily entertainment: Was ok, they only came to tell us about an activity once on the beach, we missed out on pretty much everything.

Check-out: smooth, bellboy service was good.

Overall impression of resort: This is a good resort, 4 **** but not more. The location is not great if you like exploring like we do, especially since the staff don't share bus info. The beach is excellent and that is why I choose this resort, I love the beach and this one is superb! Waves were fun to play in but safe enough that you wouldn't get swamped. Sand was soft, clean.....I highly recommend this resort for it's beach. The food is good (not great) most everything tasted good and was cooked properly. The service is very good, I like the smaller resorts because it is more personal and the staff remembers you. Very easy to get around, very intimate place. There is some work to be done fixing up the grounds but that is not such a big deal. If you are looking for a clean, well priced resort on a great beach then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Ocean view had a nice view of the Bay of Banderas
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SunLovingGurl
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Last August my husband and i were engaged at Occidental he set up a private romantic dinner and proposed and this past June on the 20th we were married ( on las caletas) but stayed at the Occidental again with 42 of our closest friends and family! It was amazing again the staff is great the location on the beach is just amazing. Esmerelda is beyond accommodating. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. I love it I will continue to return there to vacation when visiting Mexico. The food is good the Italian restaurant is So tasty! We ended up changing hotels after the wedding to a hotel in puerto vallarta it was nice, but honestly if I could change it I would have stayed at the occidental not that the hotel wasnt nice that we moved to... it just didnt have that comfort feel that you get from Occidental it didnt have the beach or the friendly bar staff... I felt a little trapped at that hotel and at Occidental I didnt feel that way at all. It is a great hotel I would recommend it to anyone traveling to Nuevo/Puerto Vallarta! You will literally feel welcome and comfortable the second you arrive! Continued through your entire stay. It is a beautiful hotel, with an amazingly helpful staff!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer V
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2014

First time in Puerto Vallarta. The resort was meticulously kept and well manicured.
EVERY single on of the employees I encountered was wonderful and went out of their way to be helpful. I was amazed at how many of them actually remembered my name throughout my stay.
From the bartenders to the gentleman at the kayak shack.... they all greeted me by name.
The hotel is on the Nuevo Vallarta side but is a short cab ride to the Viejo Vallarta where more rustic (and crowded) venues are. I really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan G
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and our first time at an all inclusive, so I don't have anything else to compare it too, but I will say it is a really lovely resort and the beach is gorgeous with a great mountain view. The staff is very hardworking and friendly. We tipped Jorge the bartender near the pool and he brought us drinks constantly throughout the week, it was nice! Our other favorite bartender was Carlos, and the best waiters were Juan and Guillermo. This is a great place to stay if you are looking for rest and relaxation. We had our ten year old daughter with us, Unfortunately the kids club is more geared towards younger children so we didn't use that service. I'm a decent home cook, who rarely eats out and I found the food to be quite good, although the last night we were there the buffet did seem mediocre but it could have been that I was just tiring of the buffet.

Two Cons: 1. You can't even go up to the front desk without being hassled by the time share people. We learned this early on and mostly avoided the front desk at all costs. This was especially annoying at check in, we arrived tired and hungry after a long day of travelling and you think you are being greeted very friendly, they offer you a beer, etc. (while my Husband was checking in and I was sitting and waiting) only to find out they are trying to get you to come to their presentation.

2. Stocking the mini fridge with 4 bottles of water a day is not sufficient in my opinion. When you call to ask for more you are turned down. For the price we paid for this vacation, it's just not acceptable in my opinion. We had to buy extra bottles of water ourselves.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jkwillia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!