“Great Stay”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I loved my stay at the Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta. The staff is excellent! Very friendly and accommodating.The activities staff is awesome! They are extremely friendly - they memorized my name from day one! My favourite part hands down was the activities. They organized beach volleyball, pool volleyball, water polo and interesting poolside games. The rooms at the hotel are pretty nice. The air conditioning was a nice respite from the heat. The food was also pretty good. It seemed to get better as the week went on. The Italian A La Carte was specifically noteworthy...very good food. The beach was amazing. Very clean and well kept. Everyone has the option to borrow boogie boards and other water accessories from the beach hut. This was a nice addition. There are only a few negative things I can say about the resort: Noise seems to travel very easily through the hallways and rooms, and it is easy to hear others outside your room, and vendors are constantly asking you to look at their wares. The noise thing was not a big issue for me, as I am a heavy sleeper, but the constant presence of vendors at the beach was a slight annoyance. Overall, I had a very pleasant stay. I would definitely consider returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael H

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Family Vacation turned nightmare!! This hotel sprays deadly pesticides in the rooms. Two of us became ill, we asked the front desk what the odour was, and were told it was not a smell, it was the humidty. I asked to be moved to a room with out pesticide and was refused. I am still not able to work since the incident. I then called Westjet to find out what pesticide was used as I wasnt recovering. Drs. ran all types of tests and concluded it was quite possibly the excessive amount of pesticide. Two months after our return home, Westjet guest relations sent me an email showing
the link the hotel provided, that would show me what pesticide the hotel used. The link was a picture of a spray can, and all information was in Spanish! I would not recommed, #Westjet, or the #Occidental Grand Nuevo Hotel!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank LayneW0ndga2014
JJesus, General Manager at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Layne W0ndga2014,

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments, we certainly appreciate them.

Regarding the fumigation we would like to let you know that this product is applied by a specialized and certified company, the product used is made in Mexico, reason why, we sent you the link in Spanish.

We apologize for any inconvenient you might have experienced during your stay.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We enjoyed the Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, as evidenced by the 3 star rating. The property was beautiful and was in a great location. The staff was excellent. The drinks were well-made, and we highly recommend the couples massage on the beach. Amazing. The only reasons we cannot give the property 5 stars are:
• The A/C in the rooms and in the exercise room was subpar. The exercise room was so hot that it was impossible to work out for any amount of time. The temperature in the rooms made it hard to sleep comfortably.
• The food options were limited. While there was always a buffet, as with many buffets, it is difficult to get your hot food "hot." An option to heat up the food that should be hot (microwave, live grill, etc.), would have been appreciated. There were only two specialty restaurants and both required reservations, with limits on the number of nights you can use them. We have stayed at other all-inclusives that did not require reservations for any restaurants, nor put restrictions on the number of times we could use them.
• Finally, not a deal killer but worth noting, the bed pillows were, ...... laughable. This is a lovely resort with great linens and amenities and the bed pillows looked and felt as if they were originally purchased at a second hand store over 20 years ago. This was a bigger issue for my wife than myself, but as mentioned, if the first two issues were addressed, this one would not stop us from returning.
We did have a great time, and would love to go back every year if the Occidental Grand Nuevo addresses these issues.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Julene P
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I booked through Costco & got a great deal, so it was what I expected. Staff is exceptional, Daniel in Royal Club & Carlos in Lobby bar. I'm used to a higher end resort & dining , but it was ok .
Liked :
The staff , The layout of the resort, the views while dining.
Did not like :
The flea markets proximity to chaise loungers , SOO sick of the peddling while trying to relax, felt very uncomfortable as a polite no thank you never seemed to quite do the trick ( literally about 30x a day ). Hard to feel relaxed with vendors approaching constantly. This was absolutely an annoyance all week. Never ONCE was there a waiter on beach or poolside, nor could you order food poolside, not an option! plastic flower arrangements in lobby, huge dusty non working water fountain in lobby. Simply not a high end resort, it's a budget resort for those looking for a great deal, not for those looking for pampering. Rooms are VERY small, laying in bed the closet door is 12- 15 inches from your nose. No clock in room, very few drawers to unpack, throw pillows on beds are so yucky, please thrown away. The lack of a balcony did make a difference to me. Wish I would have spent more & just stayed at Grand Velas or Four Seasons up the road. Once again , bang for your buck hotel, many love it, but I should have known it wasn't going to be for me.

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank apvc
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We had an overall great experience-. My Mom and I spent 5 nights and am looking forward to returning with my husband. I work in the airline industry and have had the opportunity to stay at several resorts in Puerto Vallarta. I enjoyed being in a smaller all-inclusive, as opposed to getting lost in a huge resort. The hotel is modern, clean, with an excellent staff and service. We stayed on the 6th floor overlooking the pool and loved our room.
The hosted BBQ and specialty restaurants were superb. The buffets had many choices-I have my own dietary restrictions, but was always able to find something good. The bars were stocked with name-brand alcohol and the bartenders would make anything you asked for. I had a debacle with Vallarta Adventures-which I made reservations on my own, and was overcharged. I was frustrated and one of the concierges offered to make a call to them and explain the situation for me. We got it resolved and I so appreciated the effort she made to ensure my entire experience was great.
We met the GM, Mr. Jesus Aguirre, and could tell he truly appreciated his staff and took great pride in this property. His assistant, Esmaralda was wonderful too. I will highly recommend this hotel to everyone!! Bonus: Starbucks across the street!! :)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Check-in was a little weird. We HAD to have our itinerary in order to check in. If you didn't have it, they made you access your e-mail & print it out. The room was just OK. Great view, no balcony which was disappointing (didn't look like anyone had balconies unless you were on the bottom floor). The first night I went up to go to bed and I turned down the blankets to find that the sheets were NOT clean. There was hair & even sand in the bed. Had to call the front desk twice to get someone to come & change the sheets. Bartenders were great. Buffet servers were very funny & friendly. Making reservations at the other restaurants proved hard, as you can only make reservations from 10am-1pm with the concierge, which doesn't work well if you're out doing activities. We ate at the Mexican restaurant twice and only got to eat at the Italian restaurant once because we could only get reservations once. Both were pretty good, but not exceptional. The pools were nice. I was glad there was an adult pool. Only issue was the bar was not near the adult pool and the waiters barely ever came by to take your order. I gave the sleep quality a 2 because you can definitely hear the club in the room all-night long. Check out was easy & quick. I would not go back to the resort, but I also never want to go to the same place twice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Livin_the_MC_Life
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We celebrated our 49th anniversary at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta and was very impress. Mary greeted us on our arrival and made us feel at home. She was also very helpful though out our stay. The resort is not too big nor too small.
The beach is great for walking/jogging and safe to swim. Our room was very nice with an oceanview on the 4th floor. Great service from Christina our maid and our mini fridge was replenished every day with beer , pop and water.
The buffet was in a great setting with views of the beach and ocean. Thanks to Eric, Daniel Gustavo. Outstanding service. The Italian restaurant was a great choice for our anniversary dinner (April 17th) Sorry but can't remember our waiter's name but he says "okey dokey " a lot. Charming man.
Eduardo the beach bartender always greeted me with " Hey Sunny , the usual? Louis, the pool activities coordinator always took the time to see if we are okay and made me practice my spanish.
Evening shows were very enjoyable. The dancers were very professional
Mexican nights, a Las Vegas revue and Disco nights were highlights.
A very pleasant and clean resort staffed with very friendly people.
Thank you for a most pleasant and relaxing holiday
One small gripe was that there was a fee for using a computer ( just to sent an email home ) This may be the "norm" now?? In any case we'll still come back !

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vintagedude
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!