“Colorado gerda”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Just got back home from our favorite place ,as always it was wonderful.
I had hurt my back one day before
our vacation started and I can not
say thank you enough to everyone
for being so helpful .
I never forget it and hope I can enjoy
many more years without a wheelchair in my home away from
home.
I can never understand some negative comments , must be different hotel they're talking about .
This has been our vacation place for over ten years and it's so great to see
some of the same staff every time.
Can't wait to return soon

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank westball2
Write a ReviewReviews (3,477)

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel was so awesome!! The entire place was open and there was constantly a warm breeze! Very nice feature The buffet area was all open which was real nice with the breeze. Lots of birds flying around which is way different than in Canada. However there was never a bird around the food and the staff did a wonderful job keeping the birds away from the dining area. Easy for us to tell they enjoyed their jobs and cared about everyone their. The staff was super friendly and very helpful! Made us feel very important! I really enjoyed the food, not the healthiest selection but we are on vacation to let loose. The entire area was beautiful, such an amazing experience!! The only thing I didn't like about the room was the water didn't get very cold in the shower. Really hard to cool down. In conclusion we turkey loved this place! Occidental Nuevo Vallarta is a must go!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I hope we never have the bad luck to meet some of the people who have written bad reviews at our favorite hotel in the world. I grade them as Ugly Americans.

My wife and I stayed in fine hotels in America, Europe, South America, and Asia in the last 40 years. We have been staying at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta since it opened in 1998. We stay there for two weeks, at U.S. Thanksgiving and again in Feb or March every year. The employees are above reproach and service is unequaled in most hotels in the U.S. The food is above average for all inclusive hotels anywhere.

We began taking our family of as many as 20 people there in 2004, through last Thanksgiving. They join us in agreeing with the above praise for this Occidental Grand

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank cjh31313
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This resort and our vacation time there was excellent. I just can't figure out some of the negative comments I see posted. The food was excellent, the service - everyone bent over backwards to serve. The waiters and bar tenders were superbe ( Erik, Carlos, Juan, Javier, Daniel, to name a few). Everyone that worked there was so friendly and courteous. Guest Services, Idaly, was fantastic. She worked extremely long hours every day to ensure everything went well - and it did ! I cannot think of anything negative at all.
Thank you, Gerry (the Bombero from Canada)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank GAR760
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel is very comfortable and has excellent staff. We enjoyed both the Mexican and Italian restaurants and especially liked the peaceful adults only pool. We were not bothered very much by sales people which was a relief! We would happily stay here again depending on getting a good price like we did this time. There is a public bus every 20 minutes that goes here from the airport for about a dollar per person instead of the $20 for a cab.......works fine if you don't have much luggage! Just cross over the pedestrian overpass at the airport and watch for a bus that says "Nuevo Vallarta" and flag it down!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank QuilterSheila
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Service was horrible, food horrible. Service didn't come close to what we received at other hotels. Expected much more from an all inclusive resort. The time share people were down right harassing us in a daily basis to book an excursion with them. They claimed poolside bar service. Laying out at the pool for a week, not once did a server ever come over to take our order. I could go on and on and on. But why bother?? The trip is over, money was wasted. Lesson learned

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank lorenc693
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Carolyn T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback concerning your experience at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the lack of service that you encountered during your stay with us. We are committed to providing our guests with an enjoyable vacation and it appears that we fell short of this during your stay.

Your comments have been addressed with our entire team, as your feedback helps us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our guests. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Sincerely

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I didnt took the time for looking at the reviews before I made the reservation, but I'm sure none of them will fit with the service I received. The minute I arrived started the worst customer service ever. I made the check-in and left all my stuff at my room, I came back to the reception desk asking where can I grab some food.. the only open service was the snack that was supposed to include "unlimited" hotdogs, pizza, wings, etc, we take a look, it was empty and they can't refill because food was over. Conclusion: I have to wait till 6pm for the next buffet to be open. I complained considering I was paying an "ALL inclusive" fee and asked for room service which NEVER arrived even though the manager in charge (Juan Carlos) confirmed the order & that it will arrived at the max 30min later. His solution was if you dont want to stay here, don't do it, we cancel the reservation, when I said ok, he told me: so where can I charge the penalty fee of one night? Really, do you think I will throw away 150 usd??
Later, I was told the food never arrived because I had no room service included, the problem was that they had give me a wrong room not for the fee I had paid. So how many "issues" since I got there??? and I can continue...
In order to have early dinner (ignoring the bad arrival), I tried to make reservations in one of the theme restaurants; the next problem: you must made reservations before 2pm (ups, we arrived almost 5pm so no more chance for a nice dinner till the next day) The issue doesn't stop here, that night I visited the restaurant and I confirmed it was almost empty!! So the only open option was the buffet dinner which is a mess, seems like leftovers from lunch.

Paying a 150usd night fee all inclusive, I must assume towels, water, food, alcohol was included... SURPRISE!!!! you have to pay for WIFI at Occidental Grand!!!!

For sure, it was the worst stay ever (& i'm a frequent traveller), my friends & family will get to know all the details for this terrible OG experience at Nuevo Vallarta. Too bad for the rest of the locations (Punta Cana, Cozumel, Aruba, Papayago) wont get to know them at this resorts.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Monica E

Dear Monica E,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay at. Excellent service is what we strive to be known; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. We are very sorry to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations.

Please accept our deepest apologies for the lack of service that you encountered during your stay. It does not reflect the outstanding service and attention to details we strive to be known for. We can assure you that we have immediately addressed the situation with our management in order to prevent any future occurrence.

We regret the annoyance you encountered with the specialty restaurants reservations. Our reservation procedure is designed to ensure that all of our guests are able to enjoy dinner at least once in each of our restaurants. This means that sometimes we cannot always accommodate all guests at a certain time, but we do try to work to find a time that works for them. We do have a waiting list and if there is a cancellation, we will inform the guest immediately. We will discuss with the customer service team so that they can be sure to make the reservation process a smooth one and ensure all guests their dinners.

We would be honored to welcome you back in the near future.

Sincerely