“Your All-Inclusive Home In Puerto Vallarta”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Disclaimer: What you are about to read is regarding my personal experience....which may help in your decision.

Officially in "Nuevo Vallarta," it takes about 20 min to get from the airport "Arrivals" sidewalk to the lobby of Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta. If you are taking a cab, it's more expensive to ride from the airport to the hotel than from the hotel to the airport. When you step out of your cab or your rental car, your are greeted with a grandiose lobby. The lobby is very open and makes the hotel seem grand. Everything looks very new. Most of the staff will know English more or less.

After checking in, a "guide" will explain the ins' and outs' of the hotel, and then he or she will become a "salesman/women" and attempt to get you to go on tours. Ours was a very nice guy named Ramiro: very approachable and helpful. He/she will also ask you to attend a presentation that basically introduces you to their "First Club" program and will give you discounts on stuff if you attend. Thankfully, it's not about time share. I recommend checking out good tours and activities on tripadvisor or another website and then making that appointment for the presentation in order to get discounts on the those tours. Vallarta Adventures is a good company to choose an event from because Occidental offers discounts on them and because the "headquarters" is only about 5 min from the hotel.

The room we received was nice, but a little smaller than I would expect for a 4-person-family. Previous reviews that advised getting a room close to the Hard Rock hotel next door for free Wifi are no longer relevant because Hard Rock now protects their Wifi. After paying for the wifi, I found it extremely slow in the room, however, it was faster in the lobby and around the pool. There are a few, very minor annoyances regarding the room: Our shower door would not close properly and so every time someone took a shower, there would be a giant puddle in on the floor (we solved that problem by jamming a bottle between the door and the wall to act as a "door stop"). The toilet paper holder faces outward and is only attached to the wall at one end so whenever you grab some toilet paper, the whole roll would just come off and fall onto the ground. Our housekeeper would always give us three bath towels instead of four, so we would always have to make a call to get a fourth towel. There were two beds, but for each bed, there was one long pillow. But the room was in very accommodating and comfy in general. I especially like how the mini-bar was complimentary.

For our first dinner, we went to the buffet. What I like about the dining area of the buffet is that it is very nice and open to the fresh air. Unlike the Italian restaurant which is indoors, the buffet doesn't get stuffy or hot in the nice Puerto Vallarta weather. The service is very nice and there is a wide variety of food. The food was better than I had expected, but I found it sad that there was ice cream only available during dinner.

The two restaurants, one Mexican-food-based and the other Italian-food-based, require one-day-ahead reservations which can be made at concierge in the lobby. The Italian restaurant asks for formal clothing with long pants and closed toed shoes; i think wearing somewhat "formal" attire will be acceptable because I do not believe the staff will ask you to go back to your room to change. The Mexican restaurant is more lax on attire. The Mexican restaurant "La Hacienda" is also open to the fresh air and serves exceptional Mexican cuisine (try the tortilla soup). The Italian restaurant (whose name eludes me at the moment) is also tasty as well, but of course the country is Mexico and not Italy. When the restaurants and the buffet are not open, you can get a snack, like a hamburger or a sandwich, at the snack bar, or choose from their wide variety of their drinks; being all-inclusive, drink and eat as much as you can. In fact i found that when i wasn't sleeping, i was eating, and when i wasn't eating, i was on the beach.

The beach is very nice. If you want a good beach, head for Nuevo Vallarta because hotels near downtown Puerto Vallarta have beaches that are very rocky and have minimal sand. There are not many beach vendors (from what i experienced) and the ones that are there on the beach don't shove their merchandise into your face; if you say no, they will kindly go onto the next tourists. There are also many water sports activities on the beach: jet ski, para sailing, boogie board, kayaking(complimentary from the hotel), volleyball, soccer ("football"), american football, etc. On the grounds, you can also find badminton, ping-pong, tennis, and basketball. You can also borrow bicycles to ride for free, but i advise you not to ride on a hot day because your tire may pop at any given moment (not a fun experience riding a bicycle with a popped tire back to the hotel) and be careful as cars don't yield for pedestrians nor bikers.

There are daily night shows at their newly built theater. They are generally interesting, but might be a bit on the boring side to some people's tastes. If you want a really cool night show experience, I suggest you book Vallarta Adventures' "Rhythms of the Night."

The pools there are what you might expect. No waterslides. There is a kid pool, a shallower kiddie pool, and an 18+ adult pool that is quiet.

Our stay at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta was a great one. You do have to take a taxi or ride the bus to downtown and old town Puerto Vallarta, but there is a Walmart and a shopping mall close by if you need to buy anything. The old/dowtown is just for if you want a souvenir or want to eat something authentic. If you are traveling to Puerto Vallarta, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta should be one of your choices as a temporary home.

-Bumble B.

Room Tip: Half the rooms in the hotel is ocean view. The other half is garden view. Rooms near the elevator ar...
3  Thank Bumble B
Write a ReviewReviews (3,391)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Occidental Grand. All the staff were very helpful. We plan to go again very soon, we took our 8yr. old daughter everyone was very safe there. The Buffet got a little old except for breakfast. Los Olivos was "EXCELLENT" the Mexican restaurant was not very good, however they had a snack bar and you could order lots of different stuff if you were sick of the buffet. If you travel to this hotel it is a must to meet "VICTOR" ask for him he is #1 at the hotel and will help accommodate you in anyway. The beach vender were a bit annoying but walk away if you say "NO". Cab fare was very reasonable and if you do leave the resort have them call Nacho the taxi driver he was wonderful. Also next time we go we will upgrade to either the first club or Royal for a little more of a luxury experience. We went July 1- July 6, 2013. So excited to return. It is a must to track down "VICTOR" find him at conceriage he is the go to man. This would be a great place to buy into the timeshare, very affordable

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and was fine, we had a Ocean view room. It will be worth it next time to...
1  Thank Courtney R
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I went to the Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta for our Honeymoon the first week of July, and to be honest we had our reservations. We knew that there was to be the typical all-inclusive vibe with the food and drinks, but we truly just wanted a week to relax in the sun after a long season of wedding planning. When we got there we were sent straight to the concierge where I explained that it was our Honeymoon (gotta work with what you got am I right?) and they told me that they were running a special on the Royal Club where we would get access to a private bar, restaurant, beach area, better rooms and unlimited access to the a la carte restaurant's. At first we were hesitant and the concierge offerred to take us on a quick tour of that area and we opted to go. 15 minutes later we were served champagne and were taken to our room along with the chips and guacamole we ordered from room service and settled in.

I am never picky when it comes to resorts and vacations but I honestly felt like the upgrade took me to a whole new level for service, they would bend over backwards to make sure our stay was perfect. The wait staff in the Royal Club bar and restaurant was incredible, Eric, Ricardo (Morning) and Ricardo (Night) made sure that everything we were served was with a smile or a joke. The food in the royal club was incredible and we only opted out of eating there three times, once for the mexican and twice for the italian restaurant's. I cannot stress enough the level of service that the Occidental provided, it was easily the thing that stood out to both of us the most.

The beach area had two loungers and a beach bed (about ten of these sets for the Royal Club) and those were wonderful, a waiter would come around and ask for drink orders and be swift in returning with them! The adult pool was perfect for us, and the other pool accommodated families well.

I would recommend this resort to a boss, colleague and family member, especially with the suggestion to upgrade, and since you are on vacation why not just live a little.

Also, a suggestion that I got before I went on this trip was to bring some cash to tip with, I had my reservations because it was an "all-inclusive" but I brought some anyways and I will never not tip again. It's like going to a restaurant that has a appetizer included and not tipping the waiter, it validates the service given and what better way to keep anyone in the service industry motivated than a little extra cash. It was not earth shaking money but it did enough to make my stay at Occidental go from an A to an A+.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Aaron S
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I took most of our children and grandchildren to the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta in July. We travelled with a total of 7 adults and 3 grandchildren. The Occidental Grand was the perfect place for our group. We were looking for an intimate, relaxing resort and this was it ! The adult kids took a couple of excursions into Bucerias and downtown Puerto Vallarta to find a little night life while the resort itself was nice and peaceful. The entire staff was warm and friendly and provided us with great service.

We enjoyed the buffet and the great service provided by Erik and his brother Samuel. They knew and recognized us after the first day and took great care of our entire family. The food at the buffet was very good and there was a good variety. The snack bar was also great and convenient for lunches since it was near the pools and beach. The service there was also excellent. The wait staff there recognized us after the first day as well and took great care of us. We also enjoyed the La Hacienda restaurant and thought the food and service there was excellent.

The beach bar was awesome as was the lounge bar. The bartenders were terrific and served us quickly with great drinks and lots of good tequila, of course.

The grandchildren had a great time playing on the beach and at the pools. The beach was fabulous and the water was nice and warm in July. There were some nice activities at the pool for the kids. We also enjoyed the free water sports like boogie boarding. We were amazed by the sting rays surfing in on the waves looking for fish and watched that one morning for quite some time. We took a yacht day trip and saw dolphins, snorkeled at Los Arcos and the grandchildren got to reel in a few small fish. We took the group to swim with the dolphins and they highly recommend that excursion.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was our first trip to the Vallarta area and will not be our last. The Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta was the perfect place for you if you are looking for relaxation. There were a ton of families with kids but if you don't have kids or didn't bring them for a reason (like us!) the adult only pool was the perfect place to be! My husband and I enjoyed the pool with the backdrop of the ocean sounds and mojitos served on a loop. One of the cocktail servers, Josie was the absolute best!! The entire staff of the Occidental Grand was exceptional and very accommodating to our every request. We were offered one day of the Royal Club which offers beach cabanas, a la carte dining and free Internet access. The food was phenomenal and the free Internet was great considering it costs a small fortune if you buy their wi fi access. The only downfall on the beach were the constant influx of merchants trying to sell things to you. My husband and I couldn't even enjoy the beach over the constant harassment. We retreated to the pool after 20 minutes. The merchants aren't allowed on the resort premises but that doesn't stop the hounding of the timeshare people. It's nice if you want some free things and you have 4 hours to spare. Not 90 minutes like they tell you. My husband and I were there for 8 days and he got a free round of golf and we got a couples massage out of it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie P
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed here in late April and really enjoyed it! It is a small, cozy resort with friendly staff. You can find free WiFi at the mall just across the street in the foodcourt. There is also a little grocery store there which is convenient.

Since we were not travelling with kids, we really liked the new Adult Only pool! Great addition. The bar in the lobby area was wonderful for relaxing and having a drink in the evening. Great bartender.

You can walk down the beach for hours.. all the way to Bucerias (takes about 3hr total) and take a taxi back. There is some good little restaurants there and a market priced for tourists (kind of a rip-off, in my opinion) but fun for looking.

A taxi to PV is about $20 or there are buses.

One night they had setup the dinner buffet on the beach which was a nice change.

The downsides -

* Fridge is only restocked every 2-3 days
* Resort is VERY small. If you like that, well this is the place for you! I would have preferred a bit more to do though.
* Not a lot of variety in the food buffet

But overall a nice resort. The italian restaurant was excellent! Yes the timeshare people are very annoying, but just tell them to go away and they should leave you alone :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Let me preface this review with the fact that my girlfriend and I are members of the Occidental Vacation Club (hence the no less than we expected), so some may view this as a bias towards their property, but I like to think we are still fairly objective. We have been to five of their resorts and have loved each one. This was our first visit to Nuevo Vallarta (but not our last), and we couldn't have been more pleased with every aspect of our visit, except for the jellyfish on one of our excursions, but what can the hotel do about that? One suggestion that again is outside of the hotel's hands, don't book any transportation from the airport unless you have used that specific company before and can trust them. We used Discover Vallarta and were stood up. Just take a taxi. It was only $26.00 from the airport to the hotel and even less going back. And please, please, please, don't get caught in the first lobby you come to after clearing customs and baggage claim. These people are not there to help you, they are there to sell to you, look straight ahead and don't stop until you are outside. One last tip before I get to the Occidental Grand itself. I would suggest if you want a taste of shopping the local products, don't go to the Puerto Vallarta flea market, try the Bucerias flea market, it is much closer though smaller, so you don't have to fight all the Puerto Vallarta traffic.
Okay, for the hotel itself:
Pros:
-Wonderful rooms, newly updated, very clean
-Great beach, but bring sand socks or footwear in the summer, very hot
-Service was outstanding, especially in the First Club (thanks Melissa and Israel)
-La Hacienda was just a little bit better for us than Los Olivos (personal preference)
-Le Buffet was very good, varied menu and plenty of choices
-Activities centered around the pool, but some beach stuff (soccer and volleyball)
-NIghtly entertainment is good, but not my thing
-Drinks are good and bars are very convenient
-The mall across the street is close and what you would find in the U.S.
-Smaller, intimate hotel
Cons:
-All the dining is outside except for the Royal Club
-No wifi except if you pay
-Limited access to the ala carte restaurants
-Quite a few day passes for the locals on the weekends

Overall, if you are looking for a relaxing, quiet, intimate vacation with enough activities to take breaks from just sitting at the pool or on the beach, than I don't think you will find a better spot. But if you are a serious party animal, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Rex A