“A great vacation!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Calgary, Canada
“A great vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a group of 15 twenty something's. This resort is very family friendly but we still had a great time partying at night. The beach was amazing, and it was nice to have the option of adult pool or no. The buffet was really good, but the a la cartes were less of a crowd pleaser. Carlos at the Lounge Bar made the BEST drinks and cappuccinos. Loved the staff!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank AndreaKKKK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (887)
  • Polish first
Galena, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just got back from a wonderful, relaxing vacation at this resort! Did not want to leave... Relaxing beach & pool, staff was awesome, especially Ophelia with Aqua Exercise in the pool area and staff at the First Club. Hector & Juan at the First Club make an awesome cocktail!! Food was good at the main restaurants & Grand restaurant, and the beach party was a definite highlight!! One of our favorite Occidentals so far!! We will definitely be coming back here again!

Room Tip: Many ocean view rooms!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lynnienest
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

First let me start out saying we are are a club member. We had two rooms. One with a balcony and one without. The balcony is great. It has two chase lounges, two chairs and a table. It was great to have. I have to agree with some other writers that the beds are hard. They are hard. They have 3 pools. One adult pool, one regular pool and a pool for kids that is about a foot deep. I spent a lot of time in the shallow pool just reading. The entire staff at the hotel was extremely nice and couldn't have done enough for us. They have a very small work out room with two treadmills, two elipticals and some free weights. The beach is amazing. There are always plenty of chairs around the pools. No matter what time we went down we found chairs. It was the first Spring Break I didn't have to get out there at 5:00 to get chairs. The buffet was great (and I'm pretty picky). Lots of choices. The specialty Mexican restaurant was excellent. The Italian restaurant wasn't really Italian. It had a few italian items on the menu but not what you think of when you think Italian. I personally didn't really like the Italian restaurant and never went back. I arranged transportation to the hotel with the hotel and that didn't happen so I would recommend just taking a taxi yourself. I'm still waiting for the refund. We did the swim with the dolphins at the waterpark. The swim with the dolphins was great. The waterpark needs help. We also did the zip lining which was amazing. We did the extreme. I would probably do it early am next time because it got really hot but it was so much fun. We travel annually and I would definitely come back. It is a smaller hotel but very nice.

Room Tip: upgrade to club level to get the balcony and top shelf liquor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

2 weeks with my gf
First let me start with the airport, we were past checkout and looking for our shuttle , when someone at the end asked us , what flight we were on, we said air Canada , he says oh right this way and lead us to this big desk with lots of people behind it ( still inside the airport) friendly person and all ,offered bottle of water, but before we knew it we were in the middle of a sales pitch to go to a timeshare presentation, they had nothing to do with the flights , they offer a free taxi ride to the resort with small deposit that we'd get back for going to this presentation that they said would take no more then 90 mins, anyways in the end we got our money back with 2 atv tour tickets and a bottle tequila , but it took like 4 hrs and it was a high pressure sales pitch , not with one person but like 5 , every time we though it was over we just got passed to another person lol , very frustrating and boring if your not interested from the start, so if your patient and want free stuff go for it lol

Resort was nice , food was great ,staff was nice
day time for me there's nothing to complain about, my problem was the night life , there wasn't any,
they need a bar for the adults to go dancing and to party it up a bit, what they do have is from 11-1 the area beside the snack bar set up as a dance floor but its in the open and kids come and go for snacks if there still up,you could go to puerto Vallarta to party it up but it's a long taxi ride, if I'm gonna get my buzz on and have one to many it would be nice to not have to take a 20-25 min cab ride to get to my bed, plus the free drinks I paid for at at the resorts not a bar elsewhere lol

So if your a family or just wanting to lay around and tan and play in the pool it's a good place to relax.
my gf loved it but all she likes to do is read and tan
for me there was missing a fun factor , I can only relax for so long before it gets boring

compared to an adults only resort I went to last time It wasn't as fun, for me all that was lacking was some area to finish of the day

4 walls a bar and some good tunes and i would have been a happy camper

Great job catering to the kids but its us adults that have money to pay for these trips

But all in all it's a nice place to go and relax , awesome beach and good food and drinks, just boring after dark

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank Sevyyves78
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We heard About the Occidental Grand from our travel agent, The rooms were nice but noisy, there was a big family staying in the other 3 rooms around us. They left their doors open so that the young kids could run back and forth. The kids would slam the doors even after 10 pm, we could here the family talking throughout the night. After we put in a complaint the next night was quite. But then the following night was slamming of doors all night long. We took our concerns to the management but it fell on deaf ears. We asked for a late check out and was told it cost $45 per person. There was 9 of us in our party we were on different floors. When I got a little ticked off, they dropped to $20 per person and told me I had to sit through the First Club Presentation for 1.5 hours. I had to walk away from the concierge who was trying to sell me. Every time we left the resort we were asked " where are you going" the taxi's from the resort were between $30 $35 to Puerta Vallarta and if you crossed the street the same taxi's were between $15 and $18. The a la cart restaurants were great! A little more of a selection would of been nice on different nights in the buffet. The waiting staff were excellent! Plus the bartenders. The resort was very beautiful. We will not be returning to any Occidental Grands because of this experience with management.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank timbit_13
Laval, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Occidental grand nueva Vallarta.
I gave 4stars to this hotel because rooms are very small. We were family of 4( two adults and two boys 6 and 12) and stayed from 28 march till 4 April 2013. We had a room with two double beds. In the room we had a small table with two chairs, armoire,tv and that is it. We were in the room 432 witch is on 4th floor with some ocean view. I felt too tight in these room, no space to move. Bathroom and room itself have some modern design. But when you are 4 people,you also need a space to move and to put your personal clothes ....
Be ready that you have only soap and shampoo in the shower. No conditioner , no shower hat.
The food was limited but very well prepared. Just one buffet! Always available red and white wine ( good flavors). Ones I asked for a champagne and I was told we don't have ...
Two restaurants a la carte. I would mostly recommend Mexican. Italian wasn't impressive!
One pool for adults, one pool for everybody and one for kids.
Nice evening entertaining.
Beautiful beach but hard to swim in the ocean, cause of vague.
We took 3 additional tours (swim with dolphins, extreme adventure and rhythms of the night) All 3 tours were amazing!!! Very recommend ! It's worst every dollar! Fun! Fun!fun!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Ilantsova
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Fantastic area, great beaches, hotel rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and always helpful. The food was the best we have had of the many all-inclusive resorts we have stayed at. We liked the resort and staff so much that our original vacation was 2/1/2013-2/8/2013 prompted us to book another trip in early March and we were not disappointed. This is a smaller resort than most we have stayed at, but we like this place best.

Room Tip: Royal Club was a nice upgrade if affordable, you can't go wrong at the Occidental
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,261 reviews

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!