“Great time at Occidental” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Occidental Nuevo Vallarta

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Alberta
“Great time at Occidental”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had a wonderful time at this resort, two weeks vacation wasn't enough, starting with our check in, the staff was always good helping us and very quick, then we got a room by the 6floor, the view of the beach is awesome so you make sure to get one of this rooms.
The food was excellent all time, we never get bored with the activities team they do an amazing job we definitively enjoyed our exercises with Esla and have a lot of fun with Corey.
We had enjoyed every time at this resort we actually had a wonderful experience with an owl and a parrot and we even had our privet photo-shoot with Ivan, you must test his skills with the camera, the guy really knows what he do and at the end we decided to purchase his beautyfull artwork.
The thing that really paid my attention was the general manager, Jesus Aguirre was always looking around if everything is in order and he is very close to the people, same thing with the rest of the executive committee they are always ready for serving you all time, so the only thing left to say of this resort is a BIG THANK YOU for the wonderful moments you give us, we definitively will comming back

1 Thank Gary S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (883)
  • Polish first
Brimfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I would highly recommend this resort...the staff is wonderful, kind, helpful and caring. We belong to the First Club and the staff there were excellent from Tanya, Raul and Israel at the desk to the great bartenders Hector Ceasar and Juan...and Ricardo in the Grand restaurant....they could not do enough to help. The resort is set on a huge beach that is so much nicer than more expensive resorts further down....it was not crowded or noisy at all. While they were ther,e they opened a brand new adults only pool which was perfect for quiet reading and relaxation. I found the food to be excellent and varied...if you did not like it...YOU are the one with the problem!!! The wait staff very attentive. The place was clean and had a great friendly atmosphere....There were plenty of loungers around the pool but the age old problem of people reserving and then leaving them all day!!! In every resort now they are trying to sell vacation clubs....which is a nuisance...but we fell for it...so will see how that goes!!! Beware those salesmen and women are persuasive!
I do agree with the other review concerning the number of locals at the resort...which I have no issue with...but screaming children of any nationality is a HUGE issue to me.....my biggest complaint is that the staff do not or cannot police this...I had to tell a woman with a 5 year old that it was an adult only pool...she seemed not to understand...even though the very large sign was written in 3 languages...luckily my Spanish is good enough...she left! [I did not think it was my job....but I was irritated!]
The question of Grand level and First Club is still debatable....I have been to 6 of the Occidentals and they do vary quite a bit in quality...I would not say I have a favourite...some are nicer than others for sure....but the time you have there the way you are treated makes all the difference in the world. Research it yourself and see what works best for you.

Room Tip: Our room was First Club which is supposed to be an upgrdged...well the non upgraded have no balcony...
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We went as a couple to this hotel in march. Let's start with the lobby. It's safe, beautiful and you are serve quickly. As you go in your room, everything is clean, an employee explain to you all you have to know. In your room, the design is great, the view too, but there's no balcony. The room is clean, the bathroom too. The shower offer plenty of place! A mini-bar is available. We choose to upgrade to a jr suite. Situated at the 7th floor with an ocean view, it's worth it. You have more space, two tv's, two couchs, a bath and a multi-jet shower. The food is great but there's not a great choice Its the same food. Go to the snack by the pool, its good and the service is great! The à la carte restaurants are good. The italian is better, try the tenderloin! The beach is great even its on the pacific ocean. You can walk for hours. We didnt went to the night show. We prefered to go by bus to puerto vallarta. It's cheap and safe. In the same bus you can go to the walmart buy your wine for a small price. Try it, its very easy. You can go by taxi (18$ one way). The pool is very hot wich is good. They've just finish to build a adult pool but it was close. It will be good because the weekend, there's a lot of people and more kids so the pool is too small and it's not relaxing. The drinks are amazingly good. They serve you real alchool (smirnoff, tanquerey, captain morgan, appleton, etc). The staff is simply amazing. Polite, always smily, you can ask them anything. If it's possible, they will do it. But when you see the director in the place walking, talking to their employee, eating at the buffet, its normal to see the excellence of this hotel Please, give them some tips. A litlle negative point; they dont serve food between 11:00 et 12:00 and 16:00 et 18:00. So, for the price we pay, its sure we give 5 stars! But if we pay'ed 1100 or even more, we'd give 4 stars.

Room Tip: If you pay a good price like us, upgrade to a jr suite, the view is splendid and its 50$ a day. The...
3 Thank Sebastien B
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Very clean and well maintained. The gardens are nice and the pool and beach area are awesome. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. The new adults only pool is open and very nice. There's no swim up bar, but Vianca the pool server was always available. Too many excellent staff to mention, but Ricardo in the buffet, Carlos in the lobby bar (he makes the best drinks in the place), everyone on the 7th floor and Mau and his whole activities staff really stand out. Jesus, the general manager, walked around every day speaking to the guests and was always concerned everyone was having a good time. Our room was always clean and we had fun towel critters every day. Even a towel birthday cake and balloons on my husbands birthday. The food was good and we loved the Italian restaurant. One day I left my wallet in the cab on the way into town and when we returned to the resort 5 hours later the cab driver was there with my wallet, totally intact. Amazing! We like to try different places, so don't usually go back to the same resort, but we would definitely return here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Niagara, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Let me start off by saying that if I had booked my trip thru a travel agent and it was a base package deal I would rate this pretty high.

The food was good (lots of sea food), rooms were clean, shower was hot but low pressure, weather was awesome, most workers were great. Beds were hard. Now for the bad review

I am a Royal Club Member. I purchased my membership in 2010 at Punta Cana Grand Flaminco as a Platinum member. When I returned in 2011 I was not happy with my plan as I could not go to the private beach area and resturant. I then opted to redo my contract to a Royal Club Member. When I returned in 2012 (Xcarret) it was AWESOME!!. I could not wait for 2013's trip. My wife and I decided to try out the newly renovated and Occidental Nuevo Vallarta resort that they now consider a Grand (Bogus).

What I did not receive that was promised to me per my contract:
In room expresso machine (Wife must)
Balcany or terrace
Private Pool / Jacuzzi for Royal members
Private beach with service staff - There was a private beach but they allowed everyone to use it and no service staff (well only twice did they come by) - pathetic

They treated the Royal club members below everyone else once you were away from the 6th and 7th floor.

We went to the buffet and were sat next to the kitchen door (very tight section). As I looked I saw a nice sitting area that all the locals were using along with the staff members. When I got up and looked, the sign read Members only (which is me). My wife complained to the Royal concierge she was informed that this is an on going complaint and that people are seating themnselves in this area and the staff feels guilty to kick them out. This is why I paid more for the Royal Membership, this is what happened to me in Punta Cana, that is why I upgraded. Why pay more money here if the staff is not going to do their job and let anyone enjoy the special areas. The Royal beach area was over run by non members and we had no place to sit. When security finally tried to do their jobs they let the non members take the furniture out of the Royal member area. This is NOT a Grand Resort. If all other Grand level resorts follow thru with the contracts I would recommend this vacation club but if it is only the Xcarret then no.

The resort lets the locals stay at this resort on the weekends and is over run. I have read this before and was like cool. I like to talk to the locals and get to know them but boy was I wrong. They are arrogent and tip up their noses at you. One Mexican local that was staying there told me to get out of Mexico that this was his land and Tourists do not belong, so I had him kicked out of the Royal club area because he did not belong. (He should have just been nice he could have stayed)

On a positive I will say the Royal Resturant was very good and the staff also was excellant. I have read reviews on Ricardo and will have to agree he was AWESOME. Thanks Ricardo for the suppers that we have had their.

Dont get me wrong - Puerto Vallarta is a pretty nice place to see and the excursions we went on were pretty cool. The xtreme adventures was awesome, the superman zip line was wow. 60 miles per hour on that line and head first - wow! We also did the Rythoms of the night, bring a jacket for this one. It is the boat ride that gets cold at night. (lite jacket) A towel also would be fine. Once we got to the island and started to make our way to the stage was made interesting. The show was very good and food was ok but I was sick and not sure why.

So if you are Royal - do not go to this resort you will not get what you are used to. Unless if last year was out of the ordinary (better not be)

Room Tip: I had a room on the 6th floor (Royal Club) across from the elevators. I did not have an issue with...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Guy D
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was a great spot for us to rejuvenate as it was clean & safe & the staff we would give a 10 &
half out of 10. The staff continually smiled and did their jobs with such enthusiasm and gusto that
it made you feel so welcomed!!! New adult pool opening any day now...long beaches to walk on
and the weather was so perfect. We had a romantic dinner at their Italian Restaurant but you have to be quick to make a reservation at 10 am or all reservations will be taken. Also, get your
towels & chairs early before breakfast, around the pool.....so you can enjoy a great spot before
all the lounges are taken. If you want to just unwind from North America's crazy pace & cold
temperatures...this is the place...they will take care of you. D & J from Vancouver

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor with no particular view....because we put more of our money into the amoun...
1 Thank Jewel T
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was our first time in Peurto Vallarta and we had a great time at the Occidental Grand. The service was exceptional. Jesus & his friendly staff made sure that all our needs were being met. The food was great, especially in the Royal Club restuarant. The beach is beautiful. There were plenty of lounge chairs for everyone, beach towels provided, bar right by the beach. The weather was great. The pools are nice with a third one opening by the end of March. The nightly entertainment was very good. The entertainers were very talented. There will be a new theatre also opening by the end of the month. My family & I had a great time. We will be back.

1 Thank TonyScorpio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,362 reviews

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!