“Nice beach....no balconies!!”

Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Kelowna, Canada
“Nice beach....no balconies!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Spent 2 weeks at the Occidental Grand Feb 22-Mar 8th. It was a last minute second choice for our group of six so we weren't sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. Nice property in a great location. The beach was perfect for an afternoon walk. Loved that the pool was heated as so few in Mexico are. The staff was very helpful and the bartenders were a lot of fun. Many of the waiters went out of their way to spoil us cater to our love of churros etc! The food was consistently good but somewhat salty. The Italian Al a Carte was a nice change from the outdoor dining as the evenings tended to be quite chilly and windy. The rooms were small but nice and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. Loved the smaller size of the hotel. It was easy to get to and from your room, ample amount of beach/pool chairs and no lineups for anything. We had no problem booking the Al a carte restaurants for six for dinner. The lamb was very good (I had it twice!)

The downside was the time share sales people swooping down on you in the lobby. You have to be very clear to let them know to leave you alone, which unfortunately meant being rude. The lack of a balcony was a huge detractor. Big mistake to build without them. It seemed like a big part of the vacation was missing because there was no outdoor space to enjoy privately. The construction noise was all day everyday of the vacation but that is understandable. It was interesting to watch the progress. The new area will be very nice. The restocking of the fridges was pretty hit and miss. We had to call for water and finally went down to the front desk and convinced the concierge to get us some. He told us it wasn't the hotel's job to refill the fridges?? If not you then who is responsible Senor? We might come back to this hotel in future if we could get a room with a balcony/patio.

I recommend a local restaurant called Titi's. It's a 70 peso cab ride in a local working class neighbourhood aka "nothing fancy". The garlic shrimp were divine and the Coronas ice cold! I will definitely return there on my next trip to PV.

Room Tip: Try to get one with a balcony or patio.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JHanna21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Polish first
PHX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

What a wonderful trip. As always the staff were awesome, the food was excellent and the property is looking great! We can't wait to come back for our 12th time and enjoy the new adults only pool :).
Special thanks to Jesus, Gabby and Priscilla; you guys are the best!

We have been at this hotel with a group of 20+, family of 4 and just my wife and I. We have enjoyed it every time!!!

The beach has a perfect slop in front of the hotel, great for kids and boogie boarding..

My wife is a vegetarian and very picky with food.. Never an issue and several choices for her to enjoy her meals. If provided proper notice they can accommodate many special food needs.

The bar on the beach is perfect and is one of a kind. You won't find a bar on the beach like this on any other property.

Room Tip: The Royal club is worth the extra fee, not to mention the best rooms but it will allow great seating...
4 Thank Matt E
Orillia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were at the Occidental from Mar 1st to 8th, 2013. While this hotel was very nice, newly renovated and the beach was lovely, we were somewhat disappointed with some aspects of it. There are very few rooms with balconies. You may not think that this is much of an issue, I didn't either before I left, but, while there, it was definitely an issue. I realized that part of the joy of a vacation is being able to step outside, smell the fresh air and hear the sound of the ocean whenever I was in the room and this was sorely missed! Every other hotel on the beach had balconies for every room and I feel that this was a great mistake on the part of the Occidental to not provide these.

It is also, just a hotel on a beach. We have been spoiled for the last few years in Cozumel as it is very lush there with winding pathways through trees and gardens taking you through the grounds with wildlife showing up regularly and this was a great addition to our enjoyment of the place.

Staff was very helpful and polite, food was good and plentiful. The Mexican and Italian restaurants were okay but not great. My husband did rave about the Lamb at the Italian restaurant and it was delicious but my pasta was tasteless and the shrimp and calamari appetizer was tough and a bit dry. The Royal club dining was REALLY good. Best food on site for sure.

Weather was perfect, hot with a great breeze all the time but we will not likely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a balcony but had no luck.
3 Thank Rosemary C
Manitowoc, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Our family has been coming to this resort since 2006. It only gets better everytime! This Resort deserves a A+ for customer service. The entire staff treats you so wonderful-from the bellboys,maids, waiter staff, bartenders,to Jesus the General manager and Laura Nunez the rooms division manager. Our family consisted of my husband and I ( age 50 group) and my parents and my Aunt. We have no complaints and cannot wait to come for our next visit. Each year I plan, I am asked by friends why I always go the same place. Every time I plan our vacation I say that I may consider trying somewhere new. At the end of our week we are all so sad to leave we just know there is no place like this Resort. These wonderful people remember you. Some of the staff has changed since the renovation which is to be expected . It was awesome seeing some of the old Allegro staff and yes they remembered us also. The renovations look beautiful, all tastfully done. We really loved the Lobby Lounge as it seems like alot of others did also. I noticed alot of people playing cards, cribbage or just relaxing. Just a thought that maybe it would be nice to open the Lounge Bar a little earlier (? 3pm ) for those that may feel the need to get out of the sun or enjoy a hand of cards and enjoy a cocktail. The beach is awesome, goes for miles. We did the Pirate Cruise this year and had a blast! Food was great, especially the specialty restaurants. We did have the privledge of dining in the Royal Club also which was delicious. If I can add one thing, show these people that you appreciate the extra mile they go for you. A dollar or two tip means alot to them and brings such a huge smile and "gracias". We could learn alot from them. Take the time to meet Jesus if you see him-wonderful man is seen walking the grounds and cares about making his guests happy and bringing them back. He and his staff make the difference. Cannot wait to return!! We miss you all!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank buddylynn
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

There is not enough I can say about my stay, I am a hotel manager in Canada and likley pickier than most travllers, the resort is amazing, clean, safe, staff will blow you away. Laura, Italy and Sergio in the front office along with all the bar staff, wait staff and housekeepers. Nothing was too big or too little a request. Staff took the time to get to know their customers, by the time we left they knew I like tea in the morning and would keep the one I liked ready for me and have it on the table when I sat down. They are more than knowledgeable about activites, shopping and site seeing making sure outing was made just for their guests. Book this hotel and you will not be sorry you did. I can not wait to bring my family back again.

Room Tip: Book an ocean view, worth the extra
3 Thank Anna-Marie d
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

A little late to put this in,we stayed between Feb.23 to March 2 .Nothing but good things to say about the accommodation and the staff.
Special thanks to Carlos (front desk), Miguel (Lounge Bar), Raymundo (bell boy),
Alejandro(Waiter) and All Entertainment Staff. The group of you made our stay special .
The food was awesome ,never the same food everyday.The room and the hotel was very clean and well kept.
Would recommend this hotel and will return.

Room Tip: Upper level 4th floor and up (even number rooms)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake Country, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Our vacation at the Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta was absolutely Marvelous; we (my mother, sister and I) arrived February 12 and enjoyed 10 spectacular days of sunny and hot weather. After the first night we upgraded to the Royal Club on the 7th Floor for some additional space and privacy for the three of us. The amenities and the additional perks one receives far out weigh the upgrade fee. While the resort is incredibly lovely, it is the outstanding and amazing employees that truly are worth their weight in gold. Gabriella, Sol and Jasmine at the Reception on the 7th floor were extremely helpful, beautiful, caring young women with hearts of gold. They went above and beyond in accommodating our requests and helping us out with our Mother. Your kindness was genuine and will never be forgotten. Thank You ! Gracias ! Grazie !

Julien, Daniel and Riccardo at the Royal Club Restaurant were equally exceptional. The food exquisite and service impeccable, thank you so much Julien for all the wonderful variations of delicious Marqueritas you introduced to us. The special meals were terrific and of couse delightfully scrumptious. Benji, Heriberto and Michael at the Olas Bar were wonderful and we enjoyed the conversations and of course Heriberto's Spinning Bottle Show.

To our wonderful housekeeper Carmen, Gracias for the daily Towel Creations that we looked forward to and of course your warm heart and lovely gentle smile. You are a Gem.

The size of the resort was perfect for our needs, petite and cozy with exceptional service and amenities. Great beach, beautiful, colorful flower gardens and green space. The beach party on Wednesday nights was fabulous as were the shows on the outdoor stage.

I will definately be back to the Occidental Grand and have already recommended it to all of my freinds and my travel agent too ! Heartfelt Thanks to all of the amazing people that made our stay at the Occidental Grand a memorable one. It is just over 2 weeks since we returned home but you are all still thought of with great fondness. Mucho Gracias for a Wonderful Vacation.

Anna (Anita) Tina (Conchi) from British Columbia, CANADA

Room Tip: We stayed in a Junior suite which suited our needs perfectly.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Anna V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,692 reviews

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!