Spent 2 weeks at the Occidental Grand Feb 22-Mar 8th. It was a last minute second choice for our group of six so we weren't sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. Nice property in a great location. The beach was perfect for an afternoon walk. Loved that the pool was heated as so few in Mexico are. The staff was very helpful and the bartenders were a lot of fun. Many of the waiters went out of their way to spoil us cater to our love of churros etc! The food was consistently good but somewhat salty. The Italian Al a Carte was a nice change from the outdoor dining as the evenings tended to be quite chilly and windy. The rooms were small but nice and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. Loved the smaller size of the hotel. It was easy to get to and from your room, ample amount of beach/pool chairs and no lineups for anything. We had no problem booking the Al a carte restaurants for six for dinner. The lamb was very good (I had it twice!)
The downside was the time share sales people swooping down on you in the lobby. You have to be very clear to let them know to leave you alone, which unfortunately meant being rude. The lack of a balcony was a huge detractor. Big mistake to build without them. It seemed like a big part of the vacation was missing because there was no outdoor space to enjoy privately. The construction noise was all day everyday of the vacation but that is understandable. It was interesting to watch the progress. The new area will be very nice. The restocking of the fridges was pretty hit and miss. We had to call for water and finally went down to the front desk and convinced the concierge to get us some. He told us it wasn't the hotel's job to refill the fridges?? If not you then who is responsible Senor? We might come back to this hotel in future if we could get a room with a balcony/patio.
I recommend a local restaurant called Titi's. It's a 70 peso cab ride in a local working class neighbourhood aka "nothing fancy". The garlic shrimp were divine and the Coronas ice cold! I will definitely return there on my next trip to PV.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotwire, Barcelo, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel