My family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids ages 6 and 4) ended up at this resort for only 3 nights after a horrendous experience at a different resort. We have nothing but great things to say about the food, staff, cleanliness, location or entertainment.
The food was wonderful and the staff at the buffet and snack bar were always so accommodating and friendly. The buffet had great, tasty and fresh food every time we went there. We didn't do any of the a la carte restaurants but we were told they were wonderful too. I found that there was a lot of selection at the buffet, it was very fresh and my whole family (picky toddler included) always found something to eat. I did find however that their seafood was a bit on the overcooked side, very minor con in my opinion. The staff were so fast to help us with drink orders, getting special requests for our kids etc. Very hard working and so helpful.
The snack bar is very simple with a small buffet and a small menu. Expect items like beef or chicken hamburgers, hotdogs, onion rings, quesadillas etc. The nice thing about the snack bar is that the items off the small menu are made to order so you aren't eating french fries or onion rings that have been sitting out all afternoon.
The kids loved the Kids Club and the Mini Disco. The kids club room is very small right because of the renovations going on but Natali and Mariel are fantastic. They did crafts, games and all sorts of activities with the kids. My 4 yr old is usually glued to my side but she had so much fun playing with the staff and other kids that she went for an hour or so everyday. Vincente was a great host for the mini disco each night. The kids had a great time doing the house dance and participating in the contest/activity each night. Can't say enough positive things about these 3 staff members. They are hard workers and made a huge effort to remember my kids and ask how they were feeling (they'd gotten sick at the previous resort). They were so welcoming.
The activities staff were so much fun. I felt like at the pool they created nice balance between a peaceful atmosphere and boisterous activities. They organized things like water polo, volleyball, aqua aerobics, bingo, frisbee contests, blackjack, dance lessons, beach volleyball etc. I can't remember the young mans name but he has dark brown curly hair...he kept the atmosphere around the pool very upbeat with his sunny personality.
Our room was a bit small for the 4 of us and it didn't have a balcony. We didn't have much choice on the room options since we were coming from a different resort at the last minute so I'm not sure that this is something I'd fault the resort on. I prefer a bit more space and love having a balcony so that is something I would have looked into had I been booking ahead of time. The room was VERY well appointed though and very modern. The beds were very comfortable too (but I think this will vary from person to person based on personal taste). They room (and hotel in general) was very clean and the cleaning staff did an excellent job tidying our room each day. THey even left an elephant made of towels for our kids...it was a huge hit.
We will definitely be returning to this hotel in the future. Our 3 day stay was just enough time for us to see the pros that this resort offers. We did find that the average age of people staying at the resort was probably in the 50's or 60's but we didn't feel out of place at all. It is a quiet hotel which is on the small side but we loved it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Barcelo, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel