“Fantastic Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
“Fantastic Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

It is a smaller resort (aprox 300 rooms) but that doesn't matter to me. It only seems small if you are used to staying in resorts where there are thousands of people. I looked over many reviews before deciding on this resort. Most were positive and I took some of the negatives with a grain of salt. People had complained of kids in the pool, crowded,but then you have to consider the time of year you are travelling. I saw the pictures and was hopeful those where our rooms but thought maybe they were just showing the royal club rooms. I had a very easy check in and said I was hopeful to be higher up. The clerk said they were full but he would be more than happy to help me the next day. When we got to our room, I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were very modern, spacious and clean. Nice bathroom with glass shower. Why would I want to upgrade with rooms like this. There are no balconies but it didn't bother me as I don't spend much time in the room anyway. I would drink my coffee sitting by the ocean. I thought the food was really good, there was a great selection which should suit anyones needs, even for those who like plain bland food. The fruit was amazing. The service from all the staff was excellent. I was having trouble trying to figure something out to buy wifi, when a man came up to me to help. He was very kind. When I asked him his name, he told me he was the assistant manager of the hotel. He never hesitated to help me. I would observe the people and could see how hard they would be working. The beach was beautiful, nice and clean, big sandy beach, plenty of chairs. I was so impressed with this resort and would go back again. You weren't harassed too much by the vendors but of course they will walk by. I loved the tattoo man, he was very kind. This is his living so I thought, why not, what's a henna tattoo to me, where it can feed his family. My only complaints, but maybe a blessing in disguise (as it kept my 13 yr daughter active instead) was the lack of internet. We got 15 min per day thru westjet, and on the last day I purchased 24 hrs for $12.00. It would be nice if they stocked water everyday as that is the only thing I had a problem with. I stayed in a 5 star there 2 years ago and this resort was far better. I travel a few times per year and would highly recommend this resort. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you want outside access, you need a ground floor but you would probably have more noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandy K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Polish first
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Excellent service and friendly, helpful staff. The buffet was over the top from someone who does not usually a fan. Selection and variety of food was so good and the veranda dining overlooking the beach and pools was especially great.Thanks to Eric and the other fine waiters who made our trip so enjoyable.
Rooms were comfortable and clean. Hats off to the maids for a great job.
Easier access to wifi would have been helpful.

Skippack, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

First time to Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta. Although it started off on the wrong foot, we ended with a fabulous vacation. We are 1st Club members of the Occidental Vacation Club and there were several items we were disappointed with in the 1st club reception as well as the response for some of our requests. After taking our concerns directly to the Director of the Club, we saw MANY of these concerns diminish and taken care of in a timely manner. We want thank the Director and all the staff for their hard work and efforts for making our vacation and 12th Anniversary a memorable one. The 1st club room we had was fabulous (King bed with lots of space), and would stay there again. Loved the view from our balcony too. The food was excellent except we were disappointed with the Mexican restaurant. We loved the activities personnel and especially Gabby who kept us active in the pool. The only true complaint I would have is that there wasn't an ADULT only pool as stated. Hopefully they will be working on that for our next visit. We look forward to returning in the near future to see the continued improvements.

Room Tip: If you want a ocean view with a balcony, be sure to ask for it...otherwise you may get ocean view an...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lucetta R
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Not quite a 4 star
Food was good
Hospitality fantastic
Wi fi 56.00 a week or if your close enought to the hotel next door it's free
Beach is exceptional but the water is not clear like the Carribian
Outstanding service by Erik, Ricardo and Saira at the Buffet
Outstanding to Gabrial at the Activity Centre
Exceptional GM Havier who runs a close, tight knit staff
Only 2 ala cartes
Real disappoint although it's their country but th Nationals would come in on the weekends in droves and were very loud, leT theIr kids scream in the pool and adults were no better yelling up and down the halls of the hotel instead of talking on the phone on in theIr own rooms.
I hope this helps.

Room Tip: Stay on the main level if you want access to outside
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank Doug D
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We just came back from the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta, and were not disappointed. The resort was beautiful, the food was fabulous and the people were great! The people bent over backwards to help us out, or go out of their way to make sure everything was going great. Even the sand in front of the resort was groomed, and they had people cleaning up constantly. I can't help but wonder what else could we have asked for??? Great job people of the Occidental!!!

Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have returned to this hotel numerous times through the years because of the staff, the food and the overall comfort. The beach is excellent, the staff very courteous and they have always treated me as if I were part of their family. I have watched the improvements through the years and they have really made an effort to accomodate the guests. The all-inclusive is the best price around for all the options you have. The recent remodel in 2011 turned out very nice. They are currently building an adults only pool (should be done by Mar. 2013) and a new theater for their evening shows put on by the activities staff.
I highly recommend giving this property a try.

Room Tip: North side rooms tend to be a little noiser. Recent remodel in 2011.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Greg M
nanaimo bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My spouse and I recently spent a week at the Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta with 8 other family members . We had a great time ! The hotel has had a recent reno/upgrade and the rooms were awesome!
Our room had a king size bed and it was very comfortable.
The food was only OK which is typical of most all inclusives. The real standout was the staff! Miguel and Elisabeth at the front desk were very courteous and efficient, Gaby at the pool was super as were Benji,Eduardo and Oscar at the bar. Eric in the buffet dinning room was also a real standout. I have been to lots of all inclusives over the years and the staff here were top notch. Thanks guys!
We did notice that some days the pool was overloaded.

Room Tip: The rooms above the ground floor dont have balconies so if you like access to the outside get a grou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family