“We had a great time”

Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We stayed 1/31/10 through 2/7/10, just my wife and I. We are in our mid 30s and have been to many all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean so I think I can fairly compare this resort to the "norm".

The resort looks exactly as it does in the pictures on its website. I mean exactly, no exaggerated or fake stuff like some other resorts do for advertising. What you see is what you get. Same with the rooms, just like the pictures.

Rooms: Nice size, very well appointed and modern. Nice marble floors, etc. Great shower, tub, and the hot tub on the balcony is a very nice touch. Minibar stocked daily with beer, pop, water, and juice. Coffee maker in room. A/C and all appliances worked perfect. They had very good quality shampoo, soaps, etc. Even supplied spf 15 sunblock at no charge, and they were not tiny little 1-ounce bottles either, rather decent size bottles. I even brought a few home.

We enjoyed excellent service at all the bars including being waited on regularly by servers while sitting at the beach. We thought the very best service could be had at the Marlin bar though. Lobby bar seemed to get a bit busy at times. The bars did offer can beer also, and even included US brands like Bud, Bud light, etc. Canned beer came in very handy for leaving the property for excursions, bringing several up to the room, etc. Liquors were premium as advertised. Plenty of Absolute, Bailey's, etc. We even enjoyed Grand Mariner for nightcaps on numerous occasions. They made many good blender drinks also, it was not just a few premixed colada/daiquiri dispensers like cheaper all-inclusives.

Food/dining: We were very pleased overall. El Patio was our favorite, the fillet mignon there is excellent and the service is top notch and fast. They do an awesome Mexican coffee also. We only did the buffet for dinner once, and that was when it was the Mexican show night when it was set up by the pools for the show, it was very good overall. The Italian place was nothing special but good overall. Seaside grill was good for a more casual dinner (great for lunch also). Oceana is the best for seafood dinner. (Read the final paragraph of this review for the problem with Oceana/Seaside grill) Buffet breakfast was very good, about as would be expected at an AI resort. Room service was a nice touch. They were prompt and the portions were huge, very nice and elaborate spreads. We only indulged a couple times, but it is a great food option to have 24/7.

I won't get into the beach and pools as that has already been done to death here. All were very nice...

There were some children but it was not a problem at all. The kids club seemed to keep them busy and out of the way for the most part. I think it would be a good hotel to bring a kid who is about 5 or older. There were several couples with infants which we thought was irresponsible. They were not bother but we can't understand why people would want to bring newborn babies to a place like this...

The location is great. it is out of the downtown noisy area. It is very cheap and easy to get into town though, the bus stops right near the resort and it is 13 pesos to get all the way to the cruise ship pier in PV (Walmart stop). To continue to downtown old PV, the Malecon, etc it is only 6.5 pesos for the next bus. Real easy to figure out, they are marked well. Beats a $40USD cab ride any day! We were quite impressed with the public transportation system overall. We did rent a car for 2 days though and that was even better. Then you can go to Punta Mita and beyond, the PV Zoo, Misomyola, PV Botanical Garden, most of the canopy and other tours (where you pay next to nothing if you are not coming by a tour outfit and bus) lots of cool mountain waterfalls and secret beaches, etc. There are lots of whales with their babies and tons of dolphins in the bay. It's a must to take a boat trip out to see them and/or swim and snorkel with the numerous wild dolphins. Very cool! You can even take a jetski out to the pods of dolphins and to where the whales are hanging out. Just look for the clusters of two to 3 whale watching tour boats, you see them you know they are sitting on whale(s).

One observation we made was something we are not extremely disappointed in, but it still irks us some. It seemed like late in the week, about Friday or Saturday, a lot of younger guests showed up. Lots of 20-somethings who seemed ready to "party hard". It seemed to change from the couples and family type place to party it up, tatoos, piercings, hooting and hollering types. We also noticed a change in some of the restaurant's menus about that time. Some of the higher-end things disappeared suddenly. No NY strip on the lunch menu at Seaside for lunch, the shrimp cocktail's portion size shrunk by 1/2, no more ribeye, and a few other things. We still managed to get a nice fillet mignon for our last dinner Saturday evening though. I'm not sure what happened but there sure was a change. Maybe a lot more people just getting there got it for pretty cheap like we did? Spring break already? It almost seems that the atmosphere of the resort cheapened at the end of the week. Maybe it's a seasonal thing? More of a crowd you would expect to see at a 3-star AI in Cancun or something...

A few final thoughts. Suggestion: At the airport when arriving, get a bunch of 5 peso coins at the cambio there. The rate there was good (13MX-$1USD). The 5 peso coins are perfect for tipping, and tipping more frequently than you would with dollar bills. The staff is very happy to even get a tip at all, so a 5 or two is not an insult. This resort is not a Sandals level place by any means, but for less than 1/4 the price they come pretty close in service and food.

The Storm: We had pretty good weather with one exception. Late Tuesday evening 2/2/10 a nasty tropical storm blew through. I found it to be cool and exciting but my wife was scared pretty bad. It started with just evening rain but later in then night we could hear loud smashing, breaking glass, thumps, and loud howling on the sea side. I opened the door to look and it was definitely hurricane-strength winds which lasted for about an hour. The ceiling blew up in our room and a big vent and air filters came out into the tub and all over our bathroom. The power went out twice and by the time it was on again long enough for me to connect to the internet I found the wind was still clocking 74mph in PV. It was well over 100mph at the worst of it in my opinion. We didn't lost power for that long though which was lucky. 200+ deck chairs and lawnchairs and umbrellas were completely cleared from the poolsides and in the pools. Not one was still on deck! Some broken windows, the roof was ripped off the Seaside grill, spanish tile roofing on top of the towers was torn up and some were falling 10 stories to the pool area. Many of the rooms sustained ceiling damage, holes blown out, etc. Worst of it on the sea side. The kids trampoline/bungie thing disappeared. Most of the cabana-like shades around the pool area were damaged or totally ripped off. All the couches and furniture in the hotel lobby and bar area were blown out and were blown down the driveway, some 100s of feet away. Pictures and paintings blown off all the walls, the front desk/check in area was totally gutted. All the computers, desks, everything was totally wiped out of there. We did find a computer printer down by the tennis courts... Concierge desk and all that stuff blew away also. The Avis rental car desk got trashed and his computers blew away too. It was quite a sight! We had a rental car for the morning following the storm and through the following evening. Many of the roads were impassable in the morning, trees and power lines down everywhere. Even huge old trees uprooted. Driving around the area it was like the aftermath you would expect to see following a CAT 1 or 2 hurricane. The rain had continued into Wednesday as the system moved out so we headed north of Punta Mita that morning seeking dry weather for the day (and were successful). When we returned in the evening we learned it had poured rain all day at the resort. Nearly 8 inches of rain total came with the storm I was told! Dreams staff did a good job of cleaning up and trying to get things back together. We lost the Seaside grill though and that was a real bummer. They are now trying to blend Oceana and Seaside grill and it was not working out too well in our opinion. Half the seating for lunch, incorrect menus, dinner all messed up, etc. I hope they get it fixed soon because the system they had before the storm was great.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KoryTwinCities
There are newer reviews for Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta

Reviewed February 8, 2010

We were there from Jan 23 to Feb 5th. Our room was awesome, the food was great, the service was great. Met a ton of people from all over who were having a super time. The staff were always concerned that all was well and we were happy. I wish I could remember all of their names, they all work very hard. The recreation staff - Belinda, Carona and all the others did a fantastic job coordinating activities day & night! Captains Antonio (Patio Rest.) , Fernando (Buffet Rest.) and all the other Captains always came to our table to make sure everthing was ok with meal & service - they are all professionals.
The serving staff all have great personalities and a great sense of humour. I had a few conversations with Leonardo (Guest Services Mgr.) and expressed my appreciation for the effort his staff put in every day. Lorenzo, Ivan, Ceasar, Ismael, Axel, David, Elizabeth, Oscar and all the rest - thanks for great memories. You can walk the beach for hours. You can go into Bucerias or Vallarta for shopping etc. Have fun.

2  Thank DONJUANWinnipeg
DreamsVM, Quality Control Manager at Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2010

We would like to express our most sincere gratitude for your positive comments about our Resort. At Dreams Villamagna Resort & Spa, it is our compromise to fulfill our guest’s expectations. We are glad everything worked out as expected, the safety of our guests is a priority for our company.
It will be a real honor to be able to host you in the near future, we will be waiting for you and your family in this your home away from home.

Reviewed February 8, 2010

We stayed at Dreams Villamagna Nueva Vallarta the end of January. We have stayed at many different resorts in numerous countries. This was our first Dreams and we will be going back. As soon as you step into the lobby you are treated like royalty, and it never stops. We were upgraded to a ocean front, top floor. The view was magnificent to say the least. The rooms are large, roomy, and very clean. The restaurants were good except for the seafood place, it was great, we ate there (3) times.
The local busses were convenient so we used them instead of taxis, they can dent your pocketbook after a while.
The only issue I had was the "adult only" pool. There are signs posted stating adults only, it's a shame a number a of parents can't read. I thought it was very rude for them to infringe on my adult time. There were other pools on the property but for some reason they neglected to use them. I would like Dreams to review this policy.
Other than this, I would recommend this resort in a heart beat.....especially the lobby bar. I was in heaven, they had every liquor available and the renders were great.

3  Thank jacshe

First of all, thank you very much for sharing your comments; all of them are seriously taken in consideration in order to improve our services. We are really glad you enjoyed our services and facilities. Our main purpose is to have all of our guests satisfied, so thank you very much for all your compliments. Be sure we will share your opinions with all of our staff regarding the adult pool area. The growth we’ve experienced in the hospitality industry over the years is because of customers like you, who faithfully trust in our resort, we’ll do our best to continue to give you the kind of service you deserve.
We sincerely hope to be able to host you in the near future.

Reviewed February 6, 2010

ok....well let me start off by saying that my boyfriend and I arrived and we were greeted with warm wash clothes and mimosas and everything was soooo pretty.
We get to our room on the 7th floor and it was dirty, it seemed like they had not cleaned it. The tolitries were missing and a bottle of opened shampoo was on the shower shelve and they also had a murphy bed just lying there.
I didn't want to get too pissed off right away but i definetly had to tell the maid cleaning on our floor. I, then explained the situation and she called the supervisior which did nothing about it and gave the most lame excuse EVER! We requested a room change and they said they would follow up and no one ever did.
We ate at portofino restuarant and the table was dirty and then requested to get moved and then that table was dirty as well.
El patio has great food but the capitan is a total jerk, we showed up and wanted to join others that were already eating there at a 4 seat table and we were trying pull and join another table and he would not let us. He couldn't explain WHY???? he just stated that we could not do that?
I do have to say that the bartenders that work the 3-11pm shift at the bar facing the pool are excellent and friendly. They make the best drinks.............. (Oscar and Victor)
Make sure that when they place you in a room, its not the one next to the janitor room. It's super noisy in the mornings and the carts being rolled down the hallways wake you up EARLY!!!! You don't even get to sleep in.
The jacuzzi by the pool is suppose to be warm or hot for the most part especially on a cold, cloudy day. My boyfriend and I decided we should try it and maybe that way we would be warm and cozy but as soon as we got in, it was freezing(BRRRRR) and several times we asked the manager to increase the temp. and they didn't do much about it.
I'm not really one to complain but I guess you get what you pay for, even though it wasn't that cheap.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

In behalf of Dreams Villamagna Resort & Spa receive our most sincere apologies for not fulfilling your expectations, we take our client´s comments seriously and as a leader in the hospitality industry, we are constantly using them to improve our resort to exceed their expectations. We would like to express that the reason why we do not allow tables for big groups is to honor the personalized service we offer and guarantee the excellence in our restaurant services.
Regarding our pools, we have 3 different ones; one is heated at 84 degrees, another one at 76 degrees, and the last one at 68 degrees; our Jacuzzi is heated at 86 degrees. All of these are in order to please all of our guests by having different pools with different temperatures.
As a new hotel, training seminars are being held in order to provide better services to all of our guests. Please be assured that your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration and acted upon in order for us to improve our facilities and services.
We kindly and humbly invite you to experience the true, Dreams Villamagna. Your world of dreams, romance and luxury will begin the moment we welcome your arrival. We hope to count you as one of our cherished guest in a near future.

Reviewed February 6, 2010

If I had to summarize exactly why I liked Dreams NV, I would have to say that it is the overall level of service that sets this resort apart. My wife and I are thirty-something professionals from Winnipeg who regularly leave our frozen home for somewhere tropical at least once every Winter. I have to say, I will usually preview the pro's and con's of every destination prior to arriving just to have the inside story on what is good/bad about a given destination. In my research, it was evident that this place was defined by its level of service. We stayed a week and had the advantage of having a local friend who was going to show us the area beyond the walls of the resort. We paid the extra for an Ocean View (First time) and were pleased with the view of the pools and the beach. We also paid $60.00 extra for preferred service, and in hindsight this was not worth the extra cash. I just felt that it would be extra leverage to complain if anything was disapointing. The food was excellent for such a resort, PortoFino was an excellent choice as well as the Seaside grill where they had numerous fish entrees and a delicious Ceviche. I was addicted to the stuff. The beach was gorgeous and long. You could walk either way for hours and the sunsets were breathtaking at 6:30-6:45 pm. Another place that was good for viewing the sunsets was the Skybar. The sushi was good, but you are encouraged to only order a few plates and have dinner elsewhere. Karla was a great waitress and the martini's were better than average. Great place to meet prior to dinner. Oceana was good but always bring some tip money to elevate the service to another level. I felt that if we tipped $10 post dinner the service on a return visit was even better the next time. I am a big eater and no one complained when I ordered most of the menu. The waiters who really stood out were Carlos, Igor and all the boys at Portofino. Lorenzo at the beach bar is very attentive and reliable at delivering stiff, endless magaritas. On the beach you will deal with Cheapo Filipo and his band of salespeople. They don't overdo things but are omnipresent to sell their wares. Being from a sales background myself, these guys would make a killing in North American sales settings. Cheapo and my wife had quite a thing going, and he sold her a lot (too much) silver jewellery. Negotiate hard, good deals will only be had if you divide their initial quote by 2 or 3. The other people who contributed to our fantastic stay were Claudia the omelette lady, Jesus Vargas, the concierge (Don't mess with him), Jesus, Thor and Daniel (front desk) and Roderigo (Bell boy). These were the people who elevated the enjoyment of my stay, seek them out and they will deliver. In conclusion, we have stayed at many 5* hotels (Sandals Ocho Rios, Eldorado Royale, Melia chain) and this one would rank among the best of them. Bring some tip money and enjoy your stay.

My wife wants me to add that the bank machine in the lobby charges far too much for a withdrawl, you are better off taking out cash prior to leaving PV at any plus bankmachine.

1  Thank Fastjimmy

In behalf of all the staff at Dreams Villamagna Resort & Spa; it was a real pleasure hosting you during your vacation. We sincerely appreciate your compliments about our resort. The growth we’ve experienced in the hospitality industry over the years is because of customers like you, who faithfully trust in our resort, we’ll do our best to continue to give you the kind of service you deserve.
Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing us as your vacation destination, we will be honored to have the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 5, 2010

We were truly disappointed with Dreams Villamagna.
The food was awful...the best food came from the buffet at breakfast. There was limited selection even at the a la carte restaurants. It was fast food pretending to be 5-star dining (including powdered mashed potatoes)
The concierge was useless, he could not tell us what busses to catch into town, nor could he recommend anything for us to do in the area. We were BORED. The entertainment in the evenings was weak at best...as if the entire resort shut down at 9:00pm.
The hotel itself was beautiful. The rooms were great.
Overall, I would only recommend this hotel to people who enjoy consumption and laziness.

1  Thank bimbimEdmonton

Our main compromise at Dreams Villamagna Resort & Spa is to create memories that will last a lifetime in all of our guests.
As Dreams Villamagna’s Quality Control Manager, I am concerned and very interested about our customer’s observations. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments and experience about your stay with us. Of course, it is never pleasant to hear that we have disappointed one of our guests.
In behalf of all Dreams Villamagna Resort & Spa, we are truly sorry for not fulfilling your expectations. As a new hotel, training seminars are being held in order to provide better services to all of our guests, we are sure that our staff is capable of giving the best service and adequate information according to our guest’s need’s.

Reviewed February 3, 2010

This was our fourth trip to Mexico, but our first to Puerto Vallarta and to a Dreams property. The Dreams Villamagna exceeded our expectations in most ways especially when one considers the price paid. It ranks high on the list of value for money.

The hotel property is situated beach side approximately 30 minutes from the airport. Our Westjet transfer was by private taxi which meant we were at the resort in a timely manner. We were greeted in the open air lobby with sparkling wine and cool towels. They quickly provided a fruit smoothie for our 10 year old. The check in process was efficient yet very personable. Our room was a surprise, considering some reviews noting privacy issues. The room was large, clean and well appointed. The toiletries were among the best we have seen in Mexico. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were more than serviceable. The jacuzzi tub on the balcony was well used by us and cleaned on a daily basis. The maid service was impeccable.

Our favourite restaurant was the Seaside Grill. The mahi mahi was very good and the service we received from Ivan was outstanding. He made the meal a very pleasant dining experience. We ate breakfast at the World Cafe and never encountered any issues with food quality or quality of service. While some people have commented on a lack of variety there was enough of a change daily to provide a different breakfast on each of our seven days. The fruit selection is the only area that we found lacking as one is at the source of many different types of fruit. The cook to order waffle station was a nice touch, along with the made to order smoothie station. Yes, we often found that the restaurant opened a few minutes late (especially in the evening), but try to remember that it is a vacation and your watch should be thrown out anyway.

We tried room service on two occasions and had our order delivered within the promised time, and hot items were hot and cold items were cold. The portions were more than adequate (in fact, often too much to eat).

The service by Hugo in the lobby bar and Antonio at the pool side bar was outstanding. Both of them took the time to not only mix a perfect drink (be it a mojito or a toasted almond) but they also took the time to chat about how things were going, and if we were having a good time and finding everything satisfactory.

Staff generally treated us very well. The management should be commended for working with their team to craft a positive guest experience.

Our 10 year old spent some time at the Kid's Club and enjoyed her time there. She also made good use of the boogie boards, the Euro Bungee trampoline and the ceramics painting.

The beach was wonderful. We never had problems locating prime chairs at the beach, although we were out enjoying the surf by 9:00 a.m. most mornings. Poolside seating was readily available throughout the day.

The evening entertainment ranged from kitsch to sublime (we'll let you decide which are which). The Caribbean and Mexican Buffets around the pool were very good and provided many opportunities to experiment with different foods. However, get there early as the trays were empty later in the meal.

The bellboys were very helpful in arranging taxis aournd the Puerto Vallarta area and ensuring that reasonable prices were quoted (180 pesos to the Malecon). As our flight home was schedule for late afternoon we extended our check out time for $25.00 which we found to be reasonable.

Having stayed on the Mayan Riviera previously (Bahia Principe and Azul Sensatori) we were somewhat hesitant to try to Pacific side, but we will definitely return and would give this Dreams property our business when we return to Puerto Vallarta.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank nickannetteandem
DreamsVM, Quality Control Manager at Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2010

It is a great pleasure to read we have accomplished one more time the goal of having our guests leave their home away from home completely satisfied. It was a real honor for Dreams Villamagna Resort & Spa to be able to host you during your past vacations.
We are glad you enjoyed our rooms, restaurants, entertainment and services. Be sure we will share your compliments with all of our staff. All of our guest’s comments and suggestions are seriously taken in consideration to improve the quality in our services.
Thank you very much for sharing our Dream; we will be waiting for you and your family in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#38 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vall...
#14 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#14 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#15 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!