“Cheese” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Cheese”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Okay place.Weather was great.I hate cheese and even when I searched all the a la carte menus for items with no cheese, they snuck it in. Cheese, Cheese ,Cheese.The rooms were clean and the staff friendly.

Room Tip: Room 1808 ocean view beauty.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (991)
Prince George, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was a very nice all inclusive resort, the staff took very good care of you and there is a big effort to keep things clean. I have been to inclusive locations on the east coast of Mexico where staff had to stand at your table fanning bugs away from your food while you attempted to eat, none of this here even for our group dinner on the beach. I found the food & drinks good, not your 5 star dining event but still good. They have multiple signs saying that it is to be quiet after 10pm, and I had no sleep disruptions so this rule must be taken seriously, no small feat for an all inclusive resort, Kudos to Dreams Villamagna!

A few little improvements could be made, it is not just a walk into town or anywhere for that fact, so a shuttle service to Puerto Vallarta or Bucerias would be nice, some cab drivers are insane. Also its very hard to get cash changed so you can leave tips, there is an american bank machine onsite but it dispenses in $20's, which you are not going to tip a $20 each time you get a drink or something to eat, some people probably think you don't need to tip, I disagree. Also I would like to have seen a washroom facility located a little closer to the beach, the closest one is almost to the main hotel.

My trip was a work conference that fortunately for me was paid on my behalf so I can't comment on the value of my package.

Room Tip: I paid $350/wk for an upgraded room "preferred club" and I did not really find that this w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We have just returned from our vacation to Dreams Villamagna. I agree with many of the points the other reviews have already described so I won't go into too much detail - here are our highlights of the resort/trip.

1. It doesn't feel like a typical Mexican all-inclusive because you are never over-run with people, noise, and a huge party scene
2. The entertainment staff know how to balance the perfect mix of offering fun activities and leaving you to relax on your own which is rare for all-inclusives I have found
3. The beach and sand are amazing - clean, warm water, not turquoise water and white sand but because there were no rocks or sea urchins or anything to hurt your feet this was just fine with us!
4. The food was good - better than most all-inclusives but I agree that the variety is lacking just that little bit. If they could increase variety by about 25% it would make a huge difference
5. A la carte restaurants - you don't have to sign up for your 3 nights - go when you want with no reservations ~ sweet! (the Mexican restaurant was not very good though…)
6. The rooms are nice and CLEAN, comfy beds, nice ocean view
7. General area - it was safe - we never felt worried - the hotel had a security presence without an overbearing amount of security. Again, a perfect balance.
8. The package we bought was discounted - had we paid full price (over $2,500 incl. tax per person) I think I would have felt differently because my expectations would have been elevated
9. Considering Air Transat vs Sun Wing or Air Canada or West Jet?? Go with Air Transat! Their new planes are comfortable, they have great movies, they feed you…a very nice experience
10. Mario really took good care of my friends with gluten allergies - if you need a gluten-free resort this is an option for you :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank TravelMamas
Harrisburg, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

My family and I visited Dreams Villamagna for 6 nights in the beginning of January. The resort is only a 20 minute drive from the airport so we enjoyed the short bus ride after a very long flight. I will break my review up into sections of the resort rather than a day by day account, as I think that will make for easier reading.
Initial Check In Experience:
The staff was very welcoming and accommodating. We were able to walk right up to a check in agent as well as get keys to our rooms right away and a refreshing, cool beverage.
The Rooms:
This resort was a different layout than other all inclusives that I have been to in Mexico. Instead of being a sprawling resort with many different buildings for dining, entertainment and guest rooms, it has 2 high rise buildings (one 8 floors and one 9) where all of the all inclusive guest rooms, eating, drinking and entertainment options are and then several other buildings where time shares are located. I do not prefer the high rise lay out. It made the resort very small and compact. It wasn't very crowded when my family and I were there but if you would go at the peak of tourist season, I could see it being very crowded and noisy. Even though it was not crowded it was still noisy at night time. On the bottom level there is an open air lobby bar. Our room was on the 8th floor and there were late nights when my husband and I were awakened by noise coming from the lobby bar. We were also located in the building directly across from the rooftop bar. So if there wasn't noise coming from the lobby bar at night, there was noise usually coming from the rooftop bar. This being said, other parts of our stay in the resort were very enjoyable. It was very clean. Our room, a junior suite with a hot tub on the balcony, was absolutely spotless and the view from our room was gorgeous. I have never been to this part of Mexico before, so seeing the Sierra Madres and the sunset on the bay made for some unforgettable vistas.
The Dining:
Overall it was pretty standard all inclusive dining. There is a buffet that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, a Mexican restaurant, and Italian restaurant, a Mediterranean style restaurant and the Seaside Grill that had grilled steaks and hamburgers. Overall, the favorite of the group was the Italian restaurant. My oldest daughter is a vegetarian and there was always a vegetarian option on the menu.
The Grounds:
There are several pools at Villamagna, including an infinity pool that overlooks the beach. It is a very pretty resort that is kept immaculately clean. I don’t know if it was because of the time of the year that we went or because the pools seem to be in the shadow of the high rise resort buildings most of the day, whatever the reason, the pool water was always freezing. The ocean water was much warmer than the pool water. The beach was clean and we could always find chairs at the beach or at the pools. The only complaint that I have about the grounds is the positioning of the volleyball court. It is right next to beach chairs. Our first day there, we made the mistake of sitting in those chairs. At first it was fine because no one was playing volleyball, but as soon as someone would start playing and the ball would go out of bounds, someone would get hit by the ball while they were trying to relax or sun themselves. The resort should have positioned this court away from the beach chairs.
The Staff:
Everyone at the resort was polite, friendly and welcoming. I have no complaints about any of the staff. They were all wonderful and very good at their jobs. Thank you for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CrowDH
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We arrived January 17 for a 1 week with a party of 4. Flight went very well with Sunwing, arrival at the airport also and in no time we were on our way. Check in was quick and efficient and we were in our rooms within minutes with baggages as it was 11pm we were very happy. Nice not to have are those pesky bracelets. Our room was very nice and spacious, no complaints it was very clean ,the beds were a bit on the hard side for me, but as always my husband was more than comfortable. The fridge was restocked everyday. The pools were awesome there are 3 each different temperature, service at the pools and on the beach, what a way to relax you didn't even have to get your own drink, and oh yes the BEACH was awesome great waves to play in and the sand nice and soft. The restaurants were all very tasty but our favorite was Portofino the Adult only there it was really very good and a great choice. Now if anyone complains about the food I don't get it everything was very good and tasty we didn't want for anything.Oh and most importantly everyone at the resort were so nice and helpful, and no not one person bothered us for time sharing I guess that problem has been solved. Now go and enjoy this is a great place to relax but not a party place which is why we loved it so much, have fun..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lise D
Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

The resort staff goes above and beyond to make sure their guests are comfortable and entertained. It did not take them long to know our preferences and recognize us as if we'd been there all winter. We stayed for a week over Christmas and were offered everything we could have hoped for. The gala on Christmas Eve was wonderful. There were so many buffet stations set up around the main pool area, it was impossible to try everything. Santa arrived by the pool on Christmas day and all of the kids received gifts and had photos taken. The dining options were spectacular and provided plenty of child friendly options. If something was not listed on the menu at any of the on site restaurants, the staff did everything in their power to 'make it happen'. We enjoyed all of the on site restaurants, Oceana and Sea Side in particular. Service was impeccable; housekeeping, room service, cocktail, spa, front desk, entertainment and restaurant staff were friendly, and went out of their way to make sure our children (ages 6 and 4) felt comfortable and at ease. There were plenty of activities and entertainment options available and we did not feel the need to look outside of the resort for things to do. There were daily activity boards posting everything from scuba lessons and fire shows to poolside blackjack and pottery painting. The grounds, pools and beach were well maintained and did not feel 'crowded'. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The balcony was a wonderful way to enjoy the serenity of the location after the kids were in bed. The only consideration would be the size of the queen beds; they are more like double beds than queens.
We will definitely be back to this resort!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank DMR14
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Great place to relax with the family. Been to other Dreams and Secrets resorts and this one seemed to have the most family & kids presents. Our room was nice with a hot tub on our balcony. My husband and I traveled here with friends and had a great time. The night life is a little dead here but we walked down the street to another hotel with a roof top bar. Also went into town one time to have some fun. For the price of this resort I feel I got a great deal. This Dreams was cheaper than the other ones but provided the same quality of food and service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ashley V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,362 reviews

Been to Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!