“Dreams Villamagna”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Dreams Villamagna”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had a great time at this resort. Service was excellent at every point. The food was excellent as well. We tried every restaurant and every meal we had was great. My wife is a finicky eater and she loved every meal as well. The World Cafe was great for breakfast and Luciano runs the place to perfection.. I told our waiter at the El Patio that every appetizer looked great on the menu and that I decided on the queso. He came back with a plate that had a sample of every appetizer. Awesome! The Portofino had great fish, Mahi Mahi and Grouper, grilled to perfection. The waiter there also brought me a sample of every appetizer one night as well. Amazing! The resort is very clean and the rooms are excellent. If you can afford it, spring for the upgrade with the ocean view. We were on the 6th floor and it was great. I highly recommend this resort. We went on a City Tour and Rhythm of the Night Tour and had a great time during both. Beach and pool service is excellent. I ordered 2 Bloody Mary's each morning and they were really good. I saw some of the previous complaints about stuffy elevators, vacation club pitch etc. You can always simply say no thank you too any pitch and they did not ask us again. The elevator is a bit stuffy but really, is that worth even bothering to complain about. It is only 9 floors total. You have to remember you are in Mexico and all the staff does is want for you to enjoy yourself

Room Tip: Go for the Ocean View if you can.
4 Thank greghurt
DreamsVM, Gerente at Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest review, we are more than happy to hear you and you wife enjoyed your vacation at Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta; and your experience was a pleasant one. I will let all the staff know about your kind thoughts, our main goal is to provide our guests with unforgettable memories of their vacation, and reading your comments gives us a great satisfaction.
We hope we can host you back in the near future and can enjoy more of our Unlimited-Luxury® experience.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,049)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 13, 2013

It is HOT and the humidity is HIGH. Everything felt damp and nothing dried. The heat had me down for the first day. BUT... it was great! The room is very comfortable and there is no bad view. We opted for the tropical view. The mountains were beautiful as were the lights from the city. We even had a partial ocean view. Our only problem with the room was they did not restock the fridge daily. Three out of seven days we did not have coffee or orange juice in the room. But they do have complimentary room service, so no worries!

The nightly entertainment was a bit cheesy, but the fire-show was fantastic! Since this is a kid friendly resort, so we somewhat expected this. The food was good at the buffet, but great at the specialty restaurants. There is no dance bar area at the resort, but we noticed they had a bus that did take folks clubbing a couple of times during our stay. They had a wonderful open roof-top sushi bar and restaurant on the top floor of the hotel that served great food, and had music with a beat. We went off to a corner and danced the night away there under the stars, with the lights of the city. The bartender and wait staff joined in. It was great.

The beach was very nice. Lots of waves and water that was too warm actually. We tried boogie boarding and had a great time. The beach is walkable for miles. The was a turtle sanctuary about a half mile up the beach. They collect and protect the turtle eggs that are laid on the beach by the sea turtles. We actually saw a turtle coming out of the sea on our morning walk the last day. Awesome!

Only complaint is the vendors walk the beach, and the hotel allows them to approach you as you lounge. They will not be ignored, and they make you say no - each time they pass. So no dozing is possible.

We took a city bus to downtown and had a great time at the flea market. Beware though. The timeshare people are everywhere, not just at the airport. We were mislead into seeing a "hotel" property for our next visit. The property was gorgeous, but it was not a hotel. What started as a "90 minute presentation" lasted over 4 hours, and the sales pressure was more intense by each of the 6 or 7 people they threw at us. Say no at the beginning and don;t go , or if you do insist that they GIVE you a couple of tours (not 2 for 1). I saw they are willing to pay big to get you through the door. And as we were leaving the last lady tried to give us 3000 pesos to visit another property!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the tropical view. There is a river across from the hotel, so it is all vegetation. We...
2 Thank Deb_H_815
DreamsVM, Manager at Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your review with this community. Our guests comments are very important for us and everything you say, help us to improve our services every single day.
Well done handling the heat of our lovely destination, we are very glad to know you had a great time with us and will be thrilled to host you back in the future.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I vacationed to Dreams Villamagna from Aug 24-31st. I traveled with my sister, and we had 2 rooms, numbers 1409 and 1410. These rooms had nice views, however they are very far away from the ocean. Room 1409 was in much better condition than room 1410. Room 1410 had the safe pulled out of the wall completely, making it worthless to use, the air conditioner was extremely noisy and the room smelt slightly moldy. Room 1409 seemed like it had been less used. The rooms have a very open concept, with a curtain dividing the washroom from the rest of the room. This was fine for a single person. I wouldn’t like this traveling with my husband myself. I cannot imagine it being suitable for a family setting.

There are a few things about this hotel that you do not understand till you vacation there. I will try to explain. First of all, they picture the hotel as being oceanfront! This is not the hotel. The buildings you see in the pictures that are close to the ocean are all condos. The hotel building is the one you see at the far back of the picture. It is facing the ocean, however, to put it into perspective you are about 3 long city blocks from the ocean. The other hotel building you cannot even see, as it is behind this tower and all rooms in this tower face inland. This facility has more condos than hotel. Most of the rules regarding use of the pool and the hotels bars and restaurants seem to cater to the condo owners. For example, you could not swim in the pool after 8pm. This is unusual, the sun was barely setting and people were being asked to vacate the pool. Another example, the latest any bar remained open was 11pm. For vacationers, 11pm is not altogether that late! They put a big emphasis on ‘quiet time’ and honestly, the place shut down to nothing by 10pm.

I am a beach person! I travel to enjoy spending time at the ocean! If you enjoy the beach too, here is what I found. There are lots of chairs, palapas for shade, all kept very clean! They have servers bringing drinks, but they do not serve any food or snacks. They only serve two types of beer, Corona and Modelo. Very limited. (For those of you who enjoy poolside fun, they do not allow food around the pool and you are not allowed to have your drink on the edge of the pool, they are very strict on this) Nearest place to eat is about a city block walk. There is a serious lack of washroom facilities! Seriously!!! The closest washroom to the beach is 2 city blocks away to put it into realistic perspective. Also, the 2 washrooms provided had one huge problem for me. They are located in the basements. I have a broken tailbone and had no choice but to walk down and up a long flight of stairs to reach the washrooms or walk all the way to the main building by check-in where they did have a ground level washroom.

Antiquated elevators! There are only 2 very small elevators in the ocean view hotel tower. They are extremely hot, as they are not air conditioned, nor are they even equipped with a fan to move the air. They are used to bring guest luggage up and down and if a luggage cart is inside only 3 people could also fit in. We waited on them everyday and often when they did arrive they were already over crowded, and we waited more.

Other things most people consider; Staff, extremely friendly, helpful and cheerful! Buffet, “World Café” food I would rate above average compared to other all-inclusive’s I’ve visited. Fine dining, “Portofino” was closed for renovations half the week, then open with a waiting list of over an hour as they only had 2 servers on we were told. “El Patio” served Mexican menu, bit disorganized, rushing to get out the food which was just average. “Oceana” the bread was always stale and food was tasteless. “Barefoot Grill” was excellent snack food. Coffee Bar, specialty coffees, excellent! Cleanliness was excellent! One other thing I noticed is none of the restaurants air conditioning really worked. Hotel Room, bedding was far above any other I have seen in my travel experience. Here they truly exceed. Otherwise I would say the room was average only. Internet service, excellent and free! Checking in and out, very professional and quick. You could always get change at the front desk. Security, around the resort I felt was excellent. Hotels location, excellent! Beach, excellent long sandy beach, safe and easy to swim in, kept very clean.

I enjoyed our vacation in spite of the things I’ve listed here! You have to be flexible when traveling and experience the culture! This is just some of my observations for anyone interested in visiting the Dreams Villamagna! I would rate this hotel, based on my experiences as a 3.5. There’s a lot they could do which would improve it, I think.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank ladywp
DreamsVM, Manager at Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very glad to know you had enjoyed your visit with us, found our staff friendly and helpful and we truly hope we can host you back in a near future.
We have taken notes of your observations and taken in consideration to act upon by our different Division Managers, to work on improvements.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was there earlier the summer but managed to write about it this late so I apologize if this doesn't help as much as other recent reviews.

This was my first visit to Mexico not alone Nuevo Vallarta.

First of all despite my fear and weakness to hot and humid temperature for mid May, the weather was just so perfectly warm and breezy for napping on the beach and relaxing at the bar. I loved the open and breezy reception area! I was probably there every night before sleep cooling down with a bottle of corona.

Nuevo Vallarta has chilling and relaxing vibe like Vancouver where I reside..than cancun or cabos from what I hear. My travel companion who works religiously took a great liking to it where I wish the resort had a place for night life. They only had one place closed at 1 am ..others closed at 10- 11pm!

The hotel room was well air conditioned and very clean and sanitized regularly. the water was refilled frequently with staff who walked around knocking doors with water bottles.

The restaurants especially ala carte ones were abit disappointing with quality and variety..I felt like they were just plated food from their buffet restaurant. they should try harder to distinguish themselves from buffet ...but I liked that I didn't have to make reservations since I hate to plan even a min ahead on vacation.
Since I cannot live without rice i had to try their sushi bar! Surprisingly the sushi and rolls were tasty at the roof top lounge( but I could not tempt myself to try ones with raw fish)!
Room service was very prompt and prepared well.
The buffet was just okay with rotating similar items but was acceptable considering its a buffet. But at some nights they have Caribbean, Mexican festival where you can enjoy the feast by the pool and enjoy live entertainment!

As for resort activity program, I give them thumbs up.
We took awesome ceviche cooking lesson with the chef himself one afternoon and since no one else signed up for it, it was a private class for us! I still make coconut lime ceviche at home time to time!
Loved pingpong tournaments, massage lesson, Spanish class, archery class..all was with great staffs and fun!
For the nightly event, fire show just blew my mind! Don't miss it as they have it once every week!
Other events were just okay since not a lot of people attended to make it enjoyable...such as karaoke night where I felt bad for the staff who preped so much for just a few people who wasn't too willing..but I bet if the karaoke was open later than 10, more people will be 'brave' to sing...?

The beach was so close like 5 steps from the beach bar, always there was beach chair available, vendors were not forceful and respecting.
The experience was greatly enhanced by friendly staffs( especially the bartender, Ricardo, who had worked in Calgary and had awesome English communication skill and first class mixing skills)
Even beer drinker such as myself could not afford to order his work!

It was overall very pleasant and very relaxing time. I especially loved the rooms, enthusiastic and friendly staff of Dreams. Only thing was abit of wildness i would like in my trip. As a brand royal person, I would like to try Dreams at other location next time.

One last important word, try to get ocean view room...it's seriously worth every single penny..no joke :)

Room Tip: Ocean view please
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dana H
Dear Guest,

It was certainly an honor to be your host on your very first trip to Mexico, and feel very proud to know you had a great experience. Thank you for your review, we have take notes of your comments and will take immediate actions to improve our services.

I will pass your comments to Ricardo and the rest of the staff, one of our main purposes is to make the guest feel at home, I am very glad you felt comfortable and relaxed.

Hope to see you very soon in this your home away from home.

Calgary, AB Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We have stayed at this resort a number of times and were expecting a lot more. Let me start by saying that the staff, Armando, Fransisco, Hector, it was good to see you again, and you made us feel right at home. the food was excellent as always. the rooms were kept clean, thank you. On another note I would like to mention that we were extremely upset with our concierge. We booked a dinner at dreams puerto vallarta and mentioned that we wanted to go to IL Patio for dinner. when we got there we found out that this restaurant was closed for the evening. we spent 650 pecos $65.00 US for the cab ride there and back and when we got back, all that the concierge said was that he was sorry. No refund for the cab, no nothing to compensate us for our touble. We could have stayed at the resort and had dinner there and saved our money All we got was a "Sorry about that"
In regards to drinks, they say that they have top shelf drinks, well you have to beg and plead for a Grand Marnier. they always say that they are out, or don't have any, One of the bar tenders friends dropped by, and guess what, all of a sudden they had Grand Marnier, make you wonder ??? Check out, we wanted to have a late check out 2:00 p.m. and the main desk said that we had to pay an additional $40.00 US for this service. when I mentioned that we were in the Preferred and we should't have to pay for this, again all she said was "sorry about that, your right"
Final note: It seems to me that this resort is going down hill fast, and we are very seriously considering other locations. All they care about is getting your money and not considering the individual. It is sad that this resort has dropped it's high standards for the person, and changed it to the high standards of money.
If this resort replies to this review, I would like it to be personal, not one of those generic responses, like they always send.

4 Thank Phil_Tammy
DreamsVM, Gerente at Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guests,

On behalf of all the employees of ” Dreams Villamagna “ I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feelings on your recent stay with us here in Mexico. I am more than surprised, and would really like to give you a sincere apology for the inconvenient that occurred during your stay. I really hope to have the chance to host you again in a near future and exceed all your expectations. We are at your entire dispositions for any further information or request. Sincerely yours,

Florian Monnier
Resident Manager
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The hotel has excelente service. We enjoyed the preferred floor with an exclusive bar, snacks and private concierge who makes your stay unforgettable. It was an enjoyable experience. The hotel is located very close from the airport and in an excelent area. You can pretty much arrange any type of activity within the hotel and make arrangements to be picked up. Also the activities organized by the hotel's staff are great, from Yoga in the mornings to pool games and Zumba at the afternoon. Every night there's a different activity or party.

Room Tip: The preferred floor was delightful for us.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OrestesBalderas
DreamsVM, Gerente at Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are so glad to know you have enjoyed the excellent service of Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta, we would like to thank you for your review, one of our main goals it to build unforgettable vacation memories for our guests, it was a pleasure to host you and we cannot wait to host you back soon.

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed September 9, 2013

4th time staying with Dreams in Puerto Vallarta including our Daughters wedding that was held at this resort. We were told by the management after our previous stays that we could expect an automatic upgrade and we were told that an upgrade would be an additional $200 US and this aparently was a deal. (This was a little dissapointing).
We arrived Aug. 30 - Sept. 7 and there were many families visiting from Mexico and all of the pools with the exception of the hot tub were filled with children. We asked which pool was adults only and aparently none were adults only. I would make a suggestion to appoint one of the pools be exclusive to adults as is the case with all other resorts.
We also observed that while around the affinity pool that guests staying at the condos came out with brown towels and no arm bands and accessed the free bar service and in the past also accessed the food services.
We were waiting in a long lineup to get into breakfast and the same people and you know who you are accessed the breakfast area through the bottom of the World Cafe and didn't wait for a seat and sat down and the manager of that breakfast place came over and let them continue to sit there.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are pretty similar with the exception of the 8th floor
1 Thank Tammywentwalking
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Marival Resort & Suites
Marival Resort & Suites
#14 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!