“Great food, strong drinks, friendly service, quite and relaxing atmosphere. Well worth every penny for the All Inclusive”

Taheima Wellness Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2012

March 2012. We were very lucky that we went during a slow week and the place was less than half full. We found out that if the number of guests was over 100, they served breakfast and lunch buffet style. Being a la carte, the food was top quality in terms of freshness, presentation, taste and efficiency. The drinks were made to your liking and when you wanted a strong drink, it was "Strong Like Bull". Dinner was exceptionally good, even for an upscale pricey restaurant. For the level of service, quality of food & beverage, and service we were worried if everything was in fact All Inclusive.

As of now, they only have one restaurant openned at any one time plus the pool side food and beverage service. The breakfast and lunch restaurant is open for breakfast from 7 to 11:30 am and lunch from 11:30 am to 6 pm. Dinner is in the restaurant next to it and is open from 6 pm to10:30 pm. A bar is open from 6 pm till 1 am.

They are slightly understaffed as tourism is slow and the high season March break stretches their services thin but the try their best and stay very pleasant throughout. Tipping is not mandatory but they deserve to be tipped well since their salaries are low and very hard working. I suggest at least 20 pesos for the room cleaning lady per day, 5 - 10% for food and beverages. They have a system where they give you a bill of the food and beverages ordered to sign (if All inclusive) or pay. So you can use the bill to judge how much tip to pay. Most guests do leave a tip.

Taheima is a Timeshare, Full ownership and Hotel resort mix. As a hotel they offer the option of All inclusive which is well worth every penny. I haven't had so much good food and drinks ever.

So if anyone wants to go to a safe quiet place to lounge and pig out, this is it. Well worth every penny.

Final note on the safety of Puerto Vallarta. The place is safer than the place you are coming from for sure. I'm from Vancouver BC and for sure PV is safer and friendlier. All the negative news is hyped for the purpose of retaining tourist dollars within US. We went just about anywhere and everywhere. Safe and friendly rings throughout the place. We went to Walmart and shopped. Great place to get Tequila. It's about 1/3 the price compared to Canada. 750 ml Don Julio Anejo for about 38 cad.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank P C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed March 9, 2012

My family and I just got home from a five-night stay at Taheima. My entire family loved this place, including my three teenage daughters. The highlight of the trip was our morning yoga class and afternoon relaxation class with Mariano! A truly wonderful and inspirational teacher! The food was outstanding and we appreciated having such a wonderful wait staff, especially the ever-pleasant Carlos! Temazcal was an experience not to be missed, but not for the faint-hearted! Marciano was a wonderful Temazcal guide as well. And, of course, we can't forget the mascot of this resort, the grey cat named Taheima. Don't forget to offer him a little snack when you see him! The Beach Club was beautiful, the food there was great, and the shuttle was timely and took only a few short minutes to get there. Not a hassle at all. The rooms were clean, the pool was lovely, and the massages were heavenly. The only thing that we can really say could be improved would be to have a larger variety of classes, and faster service time for food at pool and at dinner... but we were in Mexico, and so we took it with a grain of salt, the same way we took our delicious margaritas!! The staff all worked very hard! I did not enjoy having to sign a receipt every time we ate, and it seemed to be unclear whether gratuities were included in the all-inclusive or not. I would prefer having gratuities included for certain and not have to worry about that at all. We tipped a bit extra just in case, as the staff was so helpful and friendly. It is indeed a very relaxing and healthy vacation... it is not a place to be if you want the loud, nightlife/party atmosphere. For us, it was different than the usual vacation -- It was real, wholesome, quality family time! It is a welcome change for a family to all do yoga, temazcal, massages, and relaxation class together rather than the same old vacation stuff. We met many interesting and friendly people there, and we would love to go back there someday.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Just writing in to tell you what a nice relaxing time we had at the resort. We were there the week of February 25-March 3. There were 6 of us travelling together and each couple had our own rooms with outdoor pools. We would have liked the pools to be a little warmer so we could utilize them more but other then that Taheima was a great spot to stay and just relax. Food was very good.. and coffee was the best that I had ever tried!! Service could have been a little quicker but that's expected when you're there to relax...not being rushed by any means. Elaina was very gracious and took care of our needs..keeping our group close together with our rooms. David our bartender in the bar was the best!! Carlos did a great job in the dinner restuarant and Francisco in the breakfast restuarant....we loved it. I'd really like to get some of that coffee sent back to me!! Missing that and all the great employees!! I would enjoy returning at some time! Marla L.(Fort Wayne, IN)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Rawdon, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Was at Taheima with my girlfriend between February 25 and March 3. We chose this hotel because it looked absolutely beautiful and luxurious, we figured the food would be of very good quality, and it seemed like a good place for a relaxing, peaceful vacation. Well, that's exactly what we got.

We had a suite on the ground floor facing the El Tigre golf course. The view was beautiful with the mountains in the background. We also had a plunge pool which we didn't end up using since it was a bit cold. Perhaps in the summer months the plunge pool could be an interesting option but I never saw anyone using theirs during our stay. The suite was spacious and comfortable with a very comfortable king size bed. We tipped the maid at the beginning of our stay and had very good service (not sure though if it would have been less if we hadn't tipped).

There were two restaurants open. Café Maria for breakfast and lunch, and Bistro Silhouette for dinner. All meals were à la carte and we were not disappointed with the food. Everything was delicious and the wine was decent for an all-inclusive (we've always been disappointed with the wine at other all-inclusives). The hotel offers room service, but for some reason it isn't included in the all-inclusive deal.

The Agave bar which overlooks the pool area was only open as of 6 pm. You can get drinks by the 2 pools as there is a waiter or two that go around asking if you would like something. It would have been nice to have a bar open all day at the pool since we were kind of at the mercy of waiting after a waiter to come around to get a drink and then when you leave you have to find the waiter to sign the tab (you have to sign for everything at Taheima, even if you're on the all-inclusive plan). This was a little annoying but not that big of a problem.

If you like resorts with entertainment and partying, don't go here. This place is quiet and has a zen kind of feeling to it.

We did a couple of yoga classes which are offered on most days. It was my first time and I actually enjoyed.

We hesitated about going to Taheima since it isn't located right on the beach. You can walk to their beach club, which is shared with the Bahia Del Sol condominiums. It's about a 15-20 minute walk. There is a lso a shuttle that takes 3-4 minutes to get to the beach. At the beach club there is a pool and also, of course, the beach. Towels, chairs and palapas are provided at the beach. There is a restaurant/snack bar that you can use and is part of the all-inclusive that was actually quite good. Alcoholic drinks however were not included at the beach club.

The beach in Riviera Nayarit is really beautiful. Perfect for walking long distances if you want. We loved it. There was also a small massage kiosk with 4 massage tables right on the beach. We had a one hour couples massage for 70$. It was amazing with the ocean breeze and the sound of the waves. Highly recommend it.

All in all, this was a great resort. We are beach people and we realized that it would have been a perfect resort if it had been located on the beach. It is also near the airport and Puerto Vallarta (18$ cab ride). We enjoyed our stay, recommend Taheima but would not go back. Too many places to see!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank micheld101
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Over the past ten years, my family and I have travelled extensively through Mexico and the Caribbean. We recently stayed at Taheima Wellness Resort and Spa, and can safely say that it is the best resort that we have ever visited.
First of all, to any who have concerns about security in Mexico, the resort is within a gated community, which feels very safe and secure.
Rooms were clean and spacious, and offer beautiful views of the golf course and Laguna.
Pools were beautiful; one had a warmer temperature and was very relaxing. The view from the bar balconies is spectacular at night, as the pools are lit up.
The food offered at the restaurant was phenomenal, definitely 5 star quality. I would definitely recommend purchasing the all-inclusive package, which is very affordable. With the all-inclusive package, food and non alcoholic drinks are complementary at the nearby Beach Club.
As a previous reviewer has commented, there were no bottles of water in the room. We inquired about this and understand it is part of an effort to reduce garbage in the interests of being “green.” The tap water is safe to drink but not very cold. However, there are water coolers in the gym and in the courtyard of one building, so you can refill your bottles. There are also assorted cold drinks in the lobby. My suggestion would be that the resort provide each visitor with a souvenir water bottle, fill it with water and have it waiting in the fridge for arrival. It would be a nice touch and consistent with the wellness concept and with being green. It would also be good to more water coolers spread around the resort.
I’m sure this hotel will become very popular, so I suggest booking soon before prices go up too much.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank poolside93
Seattle
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We recently purchased two LivingSocial deals for this property, aiming to take the extended family on a vacation there this summer.

We tried for days to call their reservation number, but only got a message saying their voicemail box was full. Finally, we got a reply to our second attempt at emailing, only to be told (after a couple of replies due to bad translations) that they were booked "by a big group" from April 15 to October 15. Who books an entire resort for six months? Better question, what resort ALLOWS itself to be booked full for six months when they just sold hundreds of vouchers (on Living Social) good for only a year?

I also spent days trying to sort out airfare, and not just for us, but for another family that was going to join us. Since we can only travel during summer months, we had to request a refund, and I wasted at least 3 or 4 nights of my time. Thankfully I didn't actually book anything yet, but it was a huge waste of time.

This was just a tremendous letdown: we were looking forward to having our first extended family vacation here. But allowing their reservation department to just toss all these potential customers aside is just terrible business. Given some of the other questionable reservation experiences we read about on this page, I think I would avoid this resort until they clean up their act.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Keith S
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Let me begin by stating that I have never written an online review, though I really appreciate reviews when making a hotel or restaurant choice. The fact that I am actually taking the time to write a review for Taheima shows how highly I recommend this wellness center and hotel.

Taheima is truly a haven for rest and relaxation. Their two pools, four jacuzzis and yoga center were amazing. One of the pools (my fav. feature of the hotel) was just a bit heated...just warm enough to comfort any chills on a breezy night! I took a couple of yoga classes and you could tell that the instructors really respect what they do as a living, one of them even gave all of us face reflexology massages to help loosen our muscles!

The rest of the hotel is equally as pleasant. From the sounds of waterfalls throughout the resort to the professional and helpful staff available at all hours.

Our rooms were cleaned almost every day, and the cleaning staff was prompt and friendly. The hotel is in a very safe location and very close to market areas. It's a walking distance to the beach club about a mile, though renting a car is recommended so that you may really take in the sites in the neighboring towns, including of course Puerto Vallarta. Parking was easily accessible from our suite and you can ask the events manager in the lobby about sites and tours that you would like to see! Our events staff member drew directions on our maps and guided us to a great little surfing village called Sayulita!

The food in the resort is healthy, clean and fresh. I loved their grilled veggie sandwich I had for lunch at the cafe! Since I usually prefer vegetarian food, it would have been nice to see some more veggie options on the menu, though the chefs are really friendly and will definitely cater to any requests!

I stayed here for about 6 nights and 7 days with my boyfriend and another couple in a two bedroom suite with a modern, beautiful kitchen, flat screen tvs, huge living room and lovely terrace. There really wasn't any complaints i had about the rooms. The beds were comfortable and the closet space was great. The bathrooms do not have tubs, but they were not missed by us, especially with such great jacuzzis only about 100 feet away and since the hotel is really private, we were able to enjoy without a crowd!

From the wind chimes, fresh juices and flowers at the lobby of the resort, up till the last night at the bar, and a late night dip in the pool, I felt nothing but relaxed, carefree and well taken care of at Taheima. It really is one of the more quiet, health oriented and stress free resorts in Nuevo V. I have stayed at others and they had the same old hotel feeling. Our suite and the staff made us feel like we were at home. This is a great choice for anybody looking for a well-deserved vacation!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple