“Not for the light sleeper”
Review of Real Inn Mexicali

Real Inn Mexicali
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Mexicali
“Not for the light sleeper”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

In all fairness to the staff, they were regular. However, no matter how spectacular they may become, the property will never be desirable because of the train tracks about 500 ft away. A train would pass on the clock at 1:30 and 5:00 (both AM). There is no way I would return to this hotel. The rooms could be probably made sound proof if the investment was made. From speaking with the locals, I think this will not happen soon since it has always been like this. Originally I was going to be there 3 weeks. It did get to the point I had to switch to a different hotel. My total 5 days at the hotel were just miserable. The breakfast and housekeeping was ok. The gym was a notch below pitiful.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Chillinathtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Wow!! I had just finished a 3 week sojourn into Scandinavia, having found a great property or two, a good one or two, a mediocre one or two and a really disappointing one.....and right here snuggled up against the US border with Mexico is a really pleasant surprise. I hadn't been in Mexicali for 50 years so I didn't know what to expect. I arrived for an overnight business meeting, and selected the Crowne Plaza based on a recommendation from a local potential Mexican client. I parked my rental car in Calexico and cabbed it over the border ($90 cab ride - a little much - but the cabs have to price in their horrendous waits crossing back into the USA). The cabbie delivered me to the front door......my first impression was "Uh Oh".....there was a lot of construction going on in the lobby....but from the moment I encountered the reception it was uphill from there. A very proficient and friendly (in English and Spanish (obviously)) checkin process......I asked for a late checkout the next day and the checkin in clerk asked me in 2:30PM was OK.....I I quickly assented. I was efficiently processed into an executive level room (very nicely laid out and appointed) room in a quiet area......bottled water in the room......ethernet internet included.....works well......it was 112 degrees F outside and the room was a cool 70....and has remained so throughout the stay.........a very good first and enduring impression. Good price. No street noise discernible from the room........on the main level there is a Sports Bar, which doesn't suit me, but for those who like sports' Bars, I'm guessing they'll like it. I went to the Colorado Room, a really nice restaurant on the premises.....had a couple of Margaritas......a platter of Guacamole (like it's supposed to be), a Caesar with Beef Fajitas, a cup of hot Black Tea, and we were done. The service was very very kind and correct. This hotel would do well anywhere in the world, just the way it is; If it were placed in many places in Scandinavia, or many other places, it would just murder the competition. Isn't it interesting what a difference people make? In Mexicali, of all places, where business is probably off due to Mexico's current problems and the general economic retraction, and it's not on anyone's tourist destination list......that's where people with jobs in the leisure or business tourist trade actually DO TRY HARDER.....here it doesn't just seem to be a slogan. It's good to hit a stop like this once in a while to remind oneself about what constitutes a really successful hospitality business. I've been to a few hotel properties in the past six months or so that should send some of their staff to this hotel in Mexicali just to observe what success can look like. I'm guessing that not many tripadvisor members have Mexicali on their list......but in case they would find themselves here for some reason......i'd suggest that they give this one a try.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Roy P
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I spent two nights at the Crown Plaza in Mexicali. The hotel was clean and comfortable and i felt safe being a woman travelling with a female colleague. The staff really did their very best and it showed. The breakfast buffet was very good. See if you can get the buffet included in your stay, its worth it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AmesFL
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed September 21, 2009

This was my second time at this hotel. This time I was alone without the benefit of a Spanish speaker, but it almost did not mater. The 3 different people I spoke to behind the counter spoke good English. The only problem I had was having breakfast in that the waitress spoke just a little English. Getting to the table was easy, I had to guess on her Spanish when she asked if I wanted coffee and/or Orange juice. It was as awkward moment when she asked me to fill out a customer review card and waited ‘til I complete it – strange but cost me nothing and must have benefited her somehow.

I was told this is one of the best hotels in Mexicali from one of my cousins who works in the city. I believe him as this was the second place I’ve stayed in when visiting Mexicali. Marble or travertine flooring was in the large lobby.

The internet was not free like I like it to be when I travel. But, they were accommodating when it was after 10 pm when I came in and wanted to use the Internet, but it was closed & read so on a sign on the door. They opened the internet room after hours and I had to pay per minute, but was not expensive and was fast – about 1.5 mb/s download.

I was surprised by the price of hotel. Happy!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank calfencer
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed July 7, 2007

This was my second or third stay at the Crowne Plaza in Mexicali and to be honest despite the problems I encountered there this trip whenever I'm in that part of the world on business I'll always stay there.

The rooms are very nice but a little dated. I was actually in a room in which I had to request a change. The room smelled of smoke and the room wasn't nicely kept. The front desk personnel are more than accomodating.

I have to say that I love the breakfast buffet at this hotel. The prices may be a little expensive for some, but, for me it is worth the price. There is a pool and a small gym in the basement which is decent. enough.

I did have some problems this time which I have not had in the past, but over all the experience is still worth coming back again.

Don't make a phone call to the States from there or you'll pay an arm and leg. Also there is no hotel gift shop on the premises. But it's a very lovely hotel and the staff is wonderful.

• Liked — Breakfast Buffet
  • Disliked — There were a few problems
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Nesher
Forest, Ohio
Reviewed December 17, 2006

This is a very nice hotel with a staff that goes out of its way to make your stay comfortable. They also make you feel welcome.

Their breakfast buffet is very good.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank OHi0Traveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 12, 2005

This hotel is the best in mexicali, i like the rooms and the service. The staff was very helpfull and profesional.

• Stayed November 2005