Meson del Alferez Xalapa
Hostel Catre de mi Corazon(Xalapa)(Great Value!)
$14
$11
  • Breakfast included
Hostal de la Niebla(Xalapa)(Great Value!)
$15
$14
  • Breakfast included
$49
HIExpress.com
Hotel Balcon Del Alferez(Xalapa)(Great Value!)
$25
$32
$23
All reviewsboutique hotelair conditionerlofttrafficcandelawifisuitedowntown
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We absolutely loved Mesón del Alférez. The rustic beauty was delightful and peaceful. The meal we had at the hotel's restaurant was superb. The atrium is lovely with plants and flowers. I am going back in November!

Room Tip: I would imagine all the rooms are nice. We were in room #1, right next to the reception area.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JodyDallas
Reviewed February 14, 2012

After 8 years, I found everything very much the same: superb central location, friendly and helpful staff, colonial charm, excellent restaurant. Be aware that walking Xalapa involves climbing, so being close can be important. Other highly-rated hotels are quite a distance from downtown - some too far for a comfortable walk. This hotel is convenient.

Again, as is often the case with converted buildings, room size varies considerably. I used a two-level suite this time, so I will post a photo showing the narrow, steep stairs that end in a sharp turn with no railing. Our beds were on the second level; our bathroom on the first. The stairs were so narrow that I never tried to carry my luggage upstairs.

I would stay at Meson de Alferez again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed seeing the courtyard from our suite (#1 or #101?). Although the lobby was only about 10 steps from our door, we never heard any noise from there. If you prefer one level/one room, I suggest the last room on the right as you leave the lobby, where I lived for three weeks a few years ago. It is large with two big windows. (As far as I know, all windows at this property open toward the center of the thick-walled building rather than to the outside. This reduces street noise and pollution.)
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lalo_de_Mexico
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We travel to Xalapa several times a year and have found our home-away-from-home in El Meson de Alferez. This charming, nicely renovated hotel still holds tremendous colonial charm. Our family of four fits very comfortably in the suites which consist of a comfortable main floor (queen bed, bathroom and small sitting area) and a large loft with a another queen bed. The staff is friendly and attentive, albeit it in a very relaxed manner. Neddy at the front desk is particularly helpful.

A very nice feature of the hotel is the excellent restaurant on-site and the fact that breakfast is included in the room rate. The space is beautifully done and immaculate. The food is authentic first-quality Mexican fare, but you can still get a nice order of pancakes or bacon and eggs if you prefer. My kids swear they have the best pancakes in the world. The restaurant does a steady trade with local politicians owing to it's location and, no doubt, fine reputation.

If you want to explore Xalapa, you can't beat the location of El Meson, which is situated immediately behind the state capital and one short block from the zocalo - the main square -, the cathedral and beautiful Parque Juarez. Everything, from restaurants to taxis, is right outside the front door.

I can't say enough nice things about this wonderful little gem.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank nyparadigm
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Xalapa does not boast a large stock of great hotels in the centre of the city. There may be good reasons for that. The centre of Jalapa is noisy with traffic and the real attractions are outside the historic district anyway. Nonetheless, the Meson del Alferez does a decent job of providing basic comforts. The hotel has retained kept the character of a traditional Mexican inn, with rooms grouped around a central courtyard.

The beds are reasonably comfortable, there is lots of hot water and blankets in case it gets cold. If you want to read, I would travel with a high wattage bulb - otherwise the rooms are dim.

There is free access to a computer in the reception area and the staff is amenable and helpful with parking and finding space for private stuff in the restaurant freezers. Inexplicably, the two questions I asked about getting directions to well-known local spots only blocks away drew blanks.

The high point here is the restaurant. It is well worth the detour even if you are not staying at the hotel (continental breakfast is included in the room rate). Excellent food and service is to be had (except at dinner - when the restaurant is closed).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chapul
Reviewed October 25, 2007

I did not "stay." I lived at Meson de Alferez for three weeks while guiding a student exchange with the University of Veracruz, which is associated with this hotel.

I had no problems with my room or the staff, although my first room assignment was too small to live in for three weeks. The hotel changed it in minutes. Be aware that some rooms are smaller than others.

The restaurant and the included breakfast are bonuses.

Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed: June 2003, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)