“Musical water”
Review of Bahia de la Luna

Bahia de la Luna
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Puerto Angel
Reviewed April 16, 2010

The people who run the place make it perfect. They care that you have a comfortable experience there. They could not be more congenial and lovely. The place is beautiful, outstandingly so. I was very very comfortable and happy, and the place was just what I wanted.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank loissandusky

Reviewed April 11, 2010

I was part of a group of 15 people for a stay of one week. The cabanas are rustic, overlooking what is without doubt one of the most beautiful beaches along that area of the coast. Gentle waves, warm water perfect for swimming, kayaks are available, protected and shady areas for resting between swims. It is quite amazing to listen to the breaking surf as you fall asleep at night after gazing into a star-filled sky. The staff was always gracious and accommodating to requests. The included breakfast is continental with the possiblity of ordering and paying for something specially ordered. The lunch menu was good, and dinners were outstanding- not to mention a great bar! One of the advantages of Bahia de la Luna is that it is unspoiled by tourism and is quiet. Although isolated, it is easy with the help of Ana the manager to call for a taxi and take some touristic trips to villages, visit a coffee plantation, the National Mexican Turtle Center or the Ventanillia Laguna Crocodile and Wildlife conservancy in the area or take a water taxi and even go whale-watching. We loved seeing beautiful sea turtles. The charm of this "resort" in part is that it is rustic and not commercially slick.

• Stayed: March 2010
2  Thank Francine0
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Admittedly I'm not a beach guy. I'm not even a vacation person. I am a photographer who found myself on the Oaxacan coast after some time in the hills. I'd heard about Bahia de la Luna and found my way there for a little down-time that included internet efforts, brain-storming, and photo organization complemented with good food and conversation.

There's nothing quite like sitting quietly working on a laptop with your feet in the sand and a local mescal in hand. Birds, waves, palm fronds, and a fair amount of seclusion conspired to make Bahia de la Luna an ideal place for days of restful recharging.

Next time, I'm coming with a girlfriend!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank clayenos
Reviewed March 23, 2010

The rooms are “rustic.” That means filled with bugs, smelling of raw sewage, and too hot at night.

The restaurant is overpriced, and while the food is way over-hyped, it is barely passable. I remember the manager trying to sell me on a “delectable peanut pasta with an onion, pineapple, and olive sauce topped with sashimi.” Uckkkk! I went to Mexico and expected Mexican food. Not idiot hotel staff trying to show me how much culture they have.

The beach is o.k. but they do not have enough covered beach chairs. As a result, there is a race in the morning to claim space. So you have to get up as early as possible so as to get a spot. Otherwise you roast when sun gets strong. I thought part of the price included not having to struggle for a covered beach chair.

The beach is by no means secluded. Tourists pull up in smelly/polluting motor boats and crowd the beach all day long. The only thing secluded about the place is that it is difficult for the guests to get there, but day tourists have no problem enjoying the atmosphere subsidized by our overpriced and uninhabitable rooms.

Skip this place.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank beachbum356
Reviewed March 17, 2010

We wondered if 5 nights in a secluded spot would be too many, but it was just right. Bahia de la Luna and Playa la Boquilla made for a great spot to chill out. The sun was intense, the beach sand was soft and fine and the water and waves were comfortably swimmable. The kayaks, although aging, made a nice break from lounging about. Snorkelling gear was also provided for each room. Our guidebook made the road to Bahia de la Luna sound almost impassable and recommended a water taxi, but we chatted with a taxi driver in Pochutla who drove us with no problems (it was cheaper than the water taxi). We very much appreciated the patience and encouragement of the staff, especially Ana, as we practiced our Spanish. She had reminded us when we reserved that only cash is accepted when paying our bill, but we promptly forgot... We were lucky to borrow a fellow guest's computer and pay the remainder of our bill on PayPal, otherwise we would have had to make a trip into town just to go to a bank - an unnecessary cab cost. Given that we had to pay for 5 days of food and drink as well as half the accommodations, that's a lot of cash that the management expects everyone to bring. We understand that credit card charges are expensive for the business, but with this particular b&b it would be helpful. The food was very tasty and provided a reasonable degree of variety for myself as a vegetarian. My husband eats everything and said the seafood was fantastic. The included breakfasts (the homemade jams are very good!) are a bit limited in variety. There are extra breakfast items that you could pay for, but even something like granola and yougurt would have been a nice addition to the included breakfast. However when I asked for some yougurt to help an ailing tummy from a previous town, the cooks were accommodating.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChicaLL
gofonyc, Operating Partner at Bahia de la Luna, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2010

Thank you for your thoughtful and complimentary review. We are considering, as we have before, of beginning broader credit card acceptance. I'd be interested in other's opinions as well.
We will be enhancing the breakfast offerings...more fruit, more bread, ect. same good organic coffee from Finca del Pacifico.
Thanks again for you patronage and evaluation.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

We recently returned from our second visit to Bahia de la Luna, and as with our first visit, everything was perfect. We live in Maine, and it takes a fair amount of time to get to Huatulco, so before our visit this year we had decided that next Feb. we would go to the Caribbean instead. It only took us one day back at Bahia de la Luna to change our minds, and we have already made our reservations for next year. The beach is gorgeous, and essentially private. A few snorkel boats came in during the week we were there, but most had only 5 or 6 people, and they didn't stay more than an hour. The accommodations are rustic (you will not find plush carpets, t.v.s, phones or air conditioners) but comfortable and clean, and you can hear the ocean all night long. Each afternoon one of the managers, Ana or Pablo, talks to each guest about the evening meal. There is one special, usually fresh (as in caught that day) seafood, but if that doesn't appeal there is always a choice of another kind of fish, chicken, steak or pasta. The food is delicious, and very reasonably priced. We considered taking a boat ride into Puerto Angel for dinner one night, and decided we didn't want to miss a single night of eating at the hotel. There are also several nice choices for lunch, and all are inexpensive. A simple but wonderful breakfast of coffee, toast and fruit is included in the price, and you cannot beat the view from the patio restaurant.
The other guests also make the experience at Bahia de la Luna fantastic. During our visit there were guests from Germany, France, England and Italy, as well as the United States (including, if you can believe it, someone who babysat me as a child some 50 years ago!) Conversations were interesting and a lot of fun.
The only slight complaint I have is that coffee is not available in the morning until breakfast begins at 8:30. For most people on vacation that is not a problem, but I like to get up to watch the sunrise (go to the rocks at the very end of the beach and you can watch it come up over the ocean!) and always was ready for a cup before then. When I mentioned this toward the end of the week I was told it could be worked on. So I am hopeful for next year.
All in all, I don't think there is a more perfect place for a relaxing break from winter.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jandmPortland_Maine
Reviewed January 29, 2010

What more do I need to say. You will not be safe at Bahia de la Luna. When the poor couple next to us were robbed, the management just sruggeed thier shoulders. I asked them what they were going to do to protect us and they told us to be careful. It sounded like a threat from the mob. That was all they could do because the place has no security. What a great idea, a secluded beach with tourists and no security. Think twice about going here if you have something to loose.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TRVLR11215
gofonyc, Operating Partner at Bahia de la Luna, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2010

Dear Trvlr,
As the operating partner of Hotel Bahia de La Luna I read your review carefully, and then made inquiries both of our managers and our staff. Regarding security; yes, We ARE secluded; no, we don't have guards nor dogs, nor bars nor windows. Nor have we needed them, In over 4,000 guest nights we've never had a theft. It occurred on a day when there was a junta ( community meeting) next to our beach. A backpack was left by the front screened window. Someone punched thru the window and took it. ..a "smash-and-grab".The police were called, though they did not come until the next day; six of them including an 'investigator' did come They returned later that day with a suspect, who was later released. Our employees were questioned and they. in turn. have asked about in our small community in an effort to retrieve the stolen items; principally a camera, some medicines and the backpack itself. To date, nothing has been recovered. Management offered to pay for the missing items and were told that "its 'ok' we have insurance".
I'm sorry this incident occurred and that it contributed to your having a bad stay at our hotel. I do feel the rest of your review would seem unfair to our staff and inaccurate to prospective travelers taken within the context of other reviews immediately preceding and following your stay, including our own.
After careful consideration and reflection, we do not feel we presently have a security problem, though we will begin offering beach lockers near our reception area suitable for laptops and ID's while guests are on the beach. We are not a high security hotel nor have we needed to be, but I don't feel this incident warrants your "Traveler Beware" review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Angel
#2 of 6 in Zipolite
La Cabana de Puerto Angel
La Cabana de Puerto Angel
#2 of 7 in Puerto Angel

Been to Bahia de la Luna? Share your experiences!