See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel was dirty and owners were rude. We were going to stay four night but could only stay one. We were lead to believe that the beach community called Puerto Angel, 6 hour bus from Oaxaca City, was a "piece of heaven", according to the book. This might have been the case twenty years ago but upon our arrival it was a dirty fishing village with improper sewage system that emptied into the little bay in front of the hotel. Yes, raw sewage into the small bay for swimming and fishing. The smell lingered all over the town. Almost half the beach front properties were abandoned and crumbing too, filling with trash, rats, and stray dogs.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a nice time in the area go north to another town or south into Huatulco.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mike F
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We didn't stay here but came in the evening to eat. The restaurant is perched on top of the guest house and you get great views over the village and bay. In the evening there are just one or two dishes to choose from but every meal we had was excellent. Succulent tuna, then lobster ( we ordered that specially) The meal is served with home made bread and a great salad. If you want wine it's a good idea to order it ahead of time, especially if it's white and you like it cold. Service is a little erratic but very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I didn't stay here but went to eat here for dinner one night and were so impressed that we went back for banana crepes with nutella the next morning. Yum. Stellar views from the rooftop rating areas too!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed August 23, 2011

If you are not looking for a place too fancy, Gundi y Tomas may be right for you. My wife, 14 yr old son and I stayed there for 2 nights in July. The rooms were large and equipped with mosquito nets and fans. The bathrooms were colourful but rudimentary. Overall, it was a really funky place! The food was delicious! Our host, Bastion, spoke English very well. He was also very hospitable and helpful. While the stairs up might be onerous for some, the location gave us a nice view of the town and bay. The rooftop deck also provided us with a refreshing breeze.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Rob P
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I've been there in january 2011 with my dads.
The place is very charming, lots of colors, with various steps, terraces where you can see the sea.
The rooms are enough spacious. The comon sanitaries are normal. There is no hot water but it's not a problem because the weather is hot and tropical, day and night. It's 5mn far from the beach.
The food is really really excelent, there we've tasted the best fish of our lifes! And for me who lives in Mexico, the best traditional mexican breakfast ever.

The bad things of these place is...
- the noise at night (dogs barking, then roosters...),
- the service. The girls are only two, sometimes alone, so sometimes you wait for your breakfast during 45mn... After standing like 4 days there, speaking with all the employees of the hotel, I don't know if they are shy or unkind...

But in spite of all this, I think that I will come back to these hotel if I go back to Puerto Angél. It's a very relaxing place!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family