“Great food, really bad housekeeping”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mision Colima

Mision Colima
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Colima
GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great food, really bad housekeeping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

First, here's the good part: the restaurant is excellent and the rooms are large and, if away from the pool, very quiet. However, here comes the bad part: When I went into the bathroom for the first time and lifted up the toilet cover, I discovered that the toilet was ... FULL !!! That's a first impression that one never forgets. To make matters worse, when a colleague returned to try to retrieve a forgotten cell phone charger several hours after he checked out, it was no longer there. Security checked and told him that the room "had not been touched". But, when my colleague was finally let into the room, he discovered that it truly had not been cleaned but both the charger and the housekeeping tip that he had left were gone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Vienna
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel looks very nice on the outside, and this chain "Mision" is well-known in Mexico. However, the quality of the service in Colima was really disappointing. My family and I stayed for 5 days in two double-rooms, which were more less clean, had enough space and good mattresses, but they didn't have enough storage space. They didn't have a hair-drier and when I requested one they said there were any left; that was very disappointing since it was New Year's Eve and I wanted to do my hair nicely. We only got bottled water the first day, so we had to keep going to the reception to ask for more water, as well soap and towels. The hotel was full, so clearly, they were not prepared. I didn't expect this kind of service from a "Mision" hotel.

I used a security box to keep my passports safe, and they couldn't open it later!!! I had to wait around 15 minutes to get my documents. It was a good thing that I asked for them the day before I left, otherwise, I wouldn't have made it to the airport on time!

The worst was when I was waiting for my taxi to go to the airport and leave. I had requested a taxi the day before, on the 31st, knowing that it would be difficult to get one early in the morning of Jan 1st. I made it clear that I needed the taxi at 7:30 am. That morning I was waiting for 5 min and went to the reception to ask about the taxi. They said that they couldn't contact any!!!!!! And they didn't call me to let me know!!!!! I was really angry, and only then did they start calling other taxi companies to try to find one. They did, but it was a "pick-up", so it was lucky that it didn't rain like the day before, because my suitcases were exposed in the back of the truck. This might sound believable in a small town in Mexico, but Colima is the state capital and I couldn't believe this kind of service (and I am Mexican). By the way, the taxi didn't even know how to get to the airport, we had to ask another taxi driver that we met on the way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Colima, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My partner and I stayed here on New Year´s Eve as it was close to the restaurant we were going to that night. We have been to other Mision chain hotels in Mexico in the past and had pleasant experiences. This place is really something else. I don´t recommend it at all.
The first room we went into had dead insects and I believe cockroach feces on the floor and the lighting along with the outdated furniture made it look so creepy!
We asked to change rooms. Ok, fine the second room ´smelled´cleaner, until I looked a bit closer and saw garbage ( I mean dental floss, bottle caps, etc) on the floor. The sheets looked like they were used and not changed and then to top it off I lifted the toilet lid to find it dirty and stained. I pulled a towel off the shelf and it was covered in brown stains.
To make a long story shorter, we ended up going back to reception and asking for a refund because we didn´t want to stay there. It was just too dirty.
The receptionist spoke to her supervisor and offered us a ¨Presidential Suite¨. We took one look at the room and reluctantly thanked her and took the room. It was New Years Eve and it was convenient. We both laughed because we couldn´t believe that we were in a luxury suite. Lamps and lights didn´t work, our remote didn´t work. Dead crickets in the room and furniture that was clearly dirty and stained.
The staff here are clearly untrained in hospitality, cleanliness, and service. It needs a major makeover to become an acceptable hotel for the price they are charging. I can live with old outdated furniture, as long as it´s clean. But this place is DIRTY!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ensenada, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel due to proximity to the Colima airport (although still a 15 minute taxi ride). It was a quant hotel with amenities available so you don't need to leave the property. We ate dinner at the restaurant - very clean and affordable. Since we had an early departure the following morning I wasn't able to try the morning breakfast.

Staff was very helpful. Since they don't have a business area with computer and printer to print boarding pass, they offered me a spot in a rear office. I thought that was nice of them to make this accommodation since having a printed boarding pass usually saves tons of time at the airport.

The room was clean and ample. I would suggest staying on the 2nd floor so you can enjoy the vaulted ceilings. The A/C worked great but was a little noisy at night. But I'd rather have cold room and a little noise than some box that just blows warm air. Colima can get muggy and having this aspect work well was a plus. The beds weren't uncomfortable ... but certainly not heavenly. The sheets were clean and restroom a little dated but clean.

The pool looked a little tired. A few tiles were missing and it looked like it could use a little more chlorine. And it wasn't like there were 50 people in the pool helping to cloud the water with their sunscreen. It looked like 3-4 families were on the grounds the same time we were. Now, please note, we still enjoyed the pool and it wasn't that dirty to keep us from enjoying out time. Sadly there was no jacuzzi.

Would I stay here again? You bet. I'd get the internet rate again and not look back.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs if you want vaulted ceilings. Stay on ground floor if you want sliding porch door with...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
direct0rH0tel, Gerente at Mision Colima, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here. We invite you to give us a chance to serve you again so you can enjoy the improvements in the hotel.

Verónica Morales Carrillo
Gerente General
Hotel Misión Colima
colima mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

i was looking for a place for my family to stay while visiting me in colima. i thought the outside and the lobby was nice, and the staff( but just to inform everyone they do not speak english)
Having worked at a hotel, i know better than to just judge by the lobby.
I asked to view a room.
wow gross.. the staff was so honest they even told me they had cockroaches throughout the property (but not in the rooms). Im sure!! LOL
the rooms seemed ok until you see the shower and flop on the cardboard beds.
thanks but no thanks! we decided to stay at the new fiesta inn, and for 20 bucks more per a night... WOW what a difference.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank achilipepper
Chapala, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

Booked & paid thru the internet. Went very smoothly upon check-in. Rooms were clean. Pool was clean. Mision also had an exercise room. Some equipment needed maintenance. Breakfast buffet was very good. Good quality for the price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
AZ, NM & Vallarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

This property is desperately in need of updating and maintenance (and perhaps new management). The exterior of the buildings look like they were recently painted and the lobby is bright and open, but that's about it. The land leading up to the hotel is overrun with weeds and trash even though it's in a good area of Colima, and Colima is a pretty clean city.
Cleanliness of the room was also marginal. The sheets and towels were worn out rags with rips/holes. The pillows were limp and dead, the mattress well past it's useful life. Most of the light bulbs in the room were either missing or burnt out, the electricity kept shorting out; the bathroom was so dark you couldn't see to brush your teeth or take a shower (no window), the shower doors were off track & wouldn't close so the floor got flooded.
But the air conditioner worked well!
The interior design of the room was dreadful--like a 1970's era Motel 6, except cheesier and more depressing with cheap furniture and outrageously bright, mismatched prints on the upholstery and drapes. The grounds were in sad need of care-- some basic trimming and WATER would work wonders. The ratty grass and plants were barely alive. Although good sized, the pool was cloudy and not very inviting.
And the room was grossly overpriced! After taxes and such, it was over $120 USD per night, although we did have a "king size suite with kitchenette".....well, not quite--the minuscule refrigerator was broken, there was NO sink or kitchen utensils--not even an extra towel. There was a small microwave and a 4 cup coffee maker. I guess that constitutes a "kitchenette" at this place.
This is part of the "Mision" chain, and they had a slick brochure in the room for their other properties in some pretty impressive locations--they looked nice, too. But after our experience here, we'd never consider another one of this chain.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple