“Closer drive than San Diego, CA”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Las Palmas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Penasco
Las Palmas
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Chandler, Arizona
“Closer drive than San Diego, CA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

We love Las Palmas in Rocky Point. A friend of ours owns two condos there so we use to frequent there every 4th of July. Even though it is not the newest resort in Rocky Point, it is very nice and very kid friendly. Summer time means hotter water and more jelly fish however the beach is very relaxing and their pools and bar is a great change from the ocean. Only a 3 1/2 hour drive from Chandler, AZ. Bring your own food and drinks and you can save a lot of money. We have only ventured out to the restaurant once or twice. We enjoy just sticking around the condo, beach and pool and not venturing to far.

Room Tip: We prefer the Grande building, however the Baja building also has great views of the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cristi F

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Imperial, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Five hour drive to resort for my kids not being able to use the slide that was the reson we picked this resort my sons got stuck on the elevators never getting an explanation or a sorry from no one from management. try to talk to somebody from management no one was ever there. After we got home we e-mail management and resort never got a respond. they never gave us a notice when we booked the resort they did not have all the services they promise do to construction going on and still paid full price.

Room Tip: workers are friendly the cook is very good food too but management sorry never met no one!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank juan v

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Penasco hotels

El Mirage, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Staying here was okay beside the ocean was a dip/ not safe for lil ones like the other side of the beach(easy to drive to). But the room we stayed in had a big kitchen that had all the stuff you need also a washer and dryer beautiful view and wonderful swim up bar. I had a nice big bed that was soft and a big couch and flat screen TVs in the room my padio I was able to see the ocean :) they has everything you needed but the dip of the beach (what we went for)stayed in Baja 5th floor and we had wifi

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Victoria R
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed at Las Palmas 4 different times this year (June/July, August, October, November). The resort itself is beautiful and has anything you could ask for. Pools, spas, the beautiful beach, slides for the kids, a little store, a restaurant, a bar, etc. Very safe, never heard or saw of any problems. As for people mentioning roaches, I saw one outside in the hallway one day, nothing inside the condos. These are not roaches like you would get in a dirty apartment, these are outside roaches that come because of all the vegetation and water. Anybody living in Arizona would know this, and Rocky Point is still the desert. Everyone at the resort was helpful, friendly and kind, with the exception of the girl at the front desk. She needs an attitude adjustment. She acts like she's doing you the favor by being there. Otherwise, it was perfect. We enjoyed every day of each of our four trips. Sometimes with kids and sometimes without. The kids LOVE the slide at the main pool, and love walking along the beach during low tide checking out the tide pools and the little critters they find. We've stayed at all of the Sonoran Resorts and at Las Palomas and ALWAYS come back to Las Palmas. For the price and all the amenities, and the fact that it feels smaller and more personal, we probably won't be staying anywhere else again. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MelissaF2810
Chicago, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've stayed at Las Palmas 3 years in a row. I wish I could give a higher rating than poor - but honestly it has been declining.

Our first year we stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the 5th floor. Only saw one or two roaches (dude it IS Mexico!), And the unit was well equipped for all of our needs. We enjoyed our stay so much that we decided to get married on the beach there the following year!

2nd year - we stayed in a 1bdrm unit on the 7th floor - it was FANTASTIC! The owners of the unit obviously love coming to Puerto Penasco themselves, and we felt like we were staying in someone's home. It was lovely! This year, our friends and family stayed in two of the casas. They seemed nice - but I can't really speak to the overall quality as I only popped in and out of them.

This year - our 3rd year - we stayed in a 2bdrm 1st floor unit. It was lame. Everything was OLD. Bedding - was threadbare and a plastic covering on the mattress (does someone have incontinence issues? eww), kitchen was missing a lot of things. Very frustrating. We bought stuff along the way (hooray for Walmart!) as we needed, and then left it behind. Hopefully the next guest was able to use it! But it just seemed the unit hadn't been cared for like the previous ones. Maybe the issue is as the unit owners fall behind they stop coming to town and stop doing the things that are not part of the resort's responsibilities? Or maybe the units are for sale and no one is maintaining them. Our friends were staying in the same casa they had the previous year - talk about run down! The glass top stove was completely cracked in two! And again - just everything either missing, gross or neglected.

It makes me sad to see this place deteriorating so quickly.

Our next trip to Puerto Penasco will have us staying somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ShytownKelly
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My second time staying 1 year later same weekend same home it was disgusting! The first time was for a wedding at the location and the same house the second time around. We went back to celebrate the one year wedding vows of our friends.
House 11
1. 12 people stayed in this house upon entering the main bathroom is broken, I called 4 times befor they came to visit
2. Front door didn't open fron the inside we could only enter the house using the front door
3. The sheets in all 4 bedrooms were not washed, filled with sand on the inside
No excuse, Mexico is sandy but this was clearly due to not washing them for new guest to arrive
5. The to holders kept falling out of the wall
6. Master bathroom shower was filled with cigarette buds and ashes
7. Roaches in the fridge! I mean in the fridge! Needless to say we found roaches in our dipping sauces we made for our shrimp the next morning. Small ones big ones, roach infestation! It was so disgusting I have no words
8. Roaches in the cabinets, bathrooms and in our bags, they crept into everything. My husband and I slept covering out mouths we were so scared
9. Oven didn't work
10. Stove burners worked when they wanted to
11. Roaches in the dish washer
12. Dishwasher was also broken
13. The counter tops are dark granite , I was washing dishes and when I realized the counter top was moving it was more roaches!
14. If you left your beer out , food cups u found roaches in them within minutes
15. A couple of times the roaches crawled onto the couch while we tried to watch the avengers.
16. The security guard harassed the Hispanic people in our groups. We have Anglo and Hispanics all on the list but he only went after the Hispanics. Our friends had bracelets given by the hotel and still called into front lobby to make sure they were on the list. Our friends our respectable humans, business owners educated people and were singled out. It was very frustrating. This happened everytime they went to the pull.

I called the front desk multiple times and they told me it was out of there control. I have stayed on almost every resort on the beach. This is the first time it was a tru roach infestation. It's common to see one or two but never in my life have I seen so many.
also told them we didn't appreciate them harassing guest who paid to stay at this location. They said nothing. Btw- the pool was filled with many locals that didn't even have bracelets all weekend.mim at a lot at what happened. We will never ever everrrrrrrrrrrrr stay here. I do not recommend this place. I am still slapping my legs and body because I feel little roaches crawling on me. I went over Columbus weekend. Stayed in house 11.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank LaysaPG G
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

As summer surprise we took our teenage daughters July 22nd thru the 28th. We had a great time. We rented directly from an owner and not the resort. We rented a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit. The condo was beautifully decorated and on the 7th flr. This was our first time to Rocky Point. The owners were great, they gave great advice on what to bring. We didn't have problems at the resort well the elevator was out for one day but that was nothing. I saw the other posts about roaches but we never saw any in our room. The pool was warm and so was the ocean. The water in the ocean is super salty but was very relaxing. We had an awesome time and can't wait to plan our next trip.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family