Vina Del Mar Hotel
Penasco Del Sol Hotel(Puerto Penasco)(Great Value!)
$131
$89
Las Palomas Beach & Golf Resort(Puerto Penasco)
$267
  • Pool
$88
Hotwire.com
$31
Hotels.com
Playa Bonita Hotel(Puerto Penasco)
TripAdvisor
Casa Blanca Golf Villas(Puerto Penasco)
  • Beachfront
Laguna Shores Resort(Puerto Penasco)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewswalking distanceoceanseasideinternetcortez
FilterAll languages
Phoenix
Reviewed March 24, 2006

We were four nearly senior ladies off on a three-day, mid-week jaunt to Puerto Penasco for the first time. The Vina del Mar was about the only hotel available during the secondary spring break week, and it was one of the cheapest we could find through the internet or booking agencies. We expected it might be a dump, but were all pleasantly surprised.

Although not lavish and showing some signs of wear, it was scrupulously cleaned constantly and the staff all went out of their way to satisfy us: the happy hour bartender in the swim-up (or walk down) bar was pleasant, helpful, and efficient with the $2 margaritas or pina coladas and $1 beers; the afternoon desk clerk answered all our questions and made dining recommendations, and the evening one helped me through the intricacies of using a Mexican phone card on the pay phone since none of our four cell phones worked over the border; the chambermaid made several trips to fulfill our requests for soap and more towels and listened to our complaints of water on the floor (which was eventually tracked down to my leaky cooler).

For $75 a night for the four of us we had a view of the ocean and central seaside plaza and were within walking distance of the shopping, restaurant, and shrimp market action in the old town area. It was a drive to any of the local beaches since the coast it fronts on was rocky, but we preferred walking through the town and driving to beaches rather than vice versa.

• Stayed: March 2006
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
albuquerque, nm
Reviewed February 15, 2006

beautiful, colorful tile everywhere.
lots of charachter.
friendly staff.
perfectly clean.
excellent location.
be sure to get a pool-view room.
kid friendly.

Stayed: December 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
phoenix
Reviewed October 3, 2005

This place was so horrible, it was almost laughable. It is true you get what you pay for. Whatever you do pay the extra 30 bucks a night and stay somewhere else (like one of the new resorts on sandy beach). If you want to visualize it picture a jail cell with a tub. The ONLY good thing I can find to say is that the towels and sheets APPEARED to be clean, although we did bring our own bedding, and I did not venture into the shower.

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tucson AZ
Reviewed August 17, 2005

My family and I go to Rocky Point...2 times a year.... each time we stay at the Vina Del Mar.... this last June 2005...we took a chance and stayed at the "Penasco Del sol"( only to be on the beach) Used to be Plaze Las Glorias.... IT WAS BY FAR the WORST experience that we have ever had in Puerto Penasco..to the point that my kids never wanted to go back! Vina Del Mar is a great , clean place for vacationers to visit...I recommend them to anyone...especially families who have children!!!

• Stayed: September 2002
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 12, 2005

My wife and I took my younger sister to the beautiful town of Puerto Penasco, MX for the weekend. We decided to stay at the Vina Del Mar hotel since is was in town and close to the shopping and restaurants. I looked at the hotel's website and it quoted me a rate of $75 a night. I sent them an email inquiring about availability, and did not receive a response. Three days later I called the hotel and was told they had rooms left, and the guy took down my reservation. When we got there, the desk clerk could not find our reservation. She then said there was a room available so I said we would take it. Then, I find out the rate is $87, not the $75 on their website or the $77 the guy quoted me on the phone.

The room was ok for a Mexican tourist class hotel. The pool area was great and had a swim up bar. All of the bar staff was great and friendly. That was then only good thing about this hotel.

We woke up the next morning to find a scorpian in our bed down by our feet with his tail curled up ready to strike! I told the front desk about this, and they didn't seem too concerned. Well, we went to the pool and hung out for a few hours, then went up to the room to shower before we had to check out. My wife goes to get into the shower, and almost no water came out. We called the front desk, and they sent a guy up and still no water. I prosted at this point and they refused to give us our money back. They did give me $20 in cash. This is one of the worst hotels I've been in at any price! You will be sorry if you come to this hotel

29  Thank JeffInPHX