“Great Stay”

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Surprise, Arizona
“Great Stay”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

The people were very friendly, it was our first time in Rocky Point. Great area. Beautiful views, good food and service. From the pool was only a few steps to the beach. Room was decent, came with a mini fridge, coffee maker and more. Overall really good service, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank 122jarek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 16, 2014

When we first arrived the reservations were not saved by the previous telephone operator. So I had to spend some time getting that to the original reservation, which they ended up doing. Which it started out nice in that way.

But then when i got in the room to relax and enjoy the comfortable bed, I layer down on it )(thinking it was really soft) and it was like laying down on a plastic box with a blanket on top.. VERY hard.. I called twice to see if they can do anything, and they didn't. That night we slept on the pull out couch...

The next day a nice worker changed the mattress, which helped, but it was an 8 year old matters,so it still left some back pain.

The ice machine was broken so ww could only get ice from the bar, and we were on the fourth floor.

The deal with the towels is that you get towel VOUCHERS and if you lose those or the towels that you borrow with the vouchers, you have to pay the hotel $50. So immediately going to the hotel, we had to be responsible, and not lose towels or little cards.. Not exactly something I wanted to worry about on my vacation.

The music outside at the pool from 12 noon to midnight was so loud and a lot of expletives, that I couldn't even hear the waves crashing, nor did I want to hear all the cussing.

I told them about all the frustrations at check out, and they "couldn't" do anything about it. I don't know why this hotel is rated as high as it is, ESPECIALLY on trip advisor, a source that I usually trust.

Room Tip: Beds are extremely hard.. Ask for a softer bed...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank David C
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We are New Yorkers who moved to Phoenix a year ago and we kept hearing about Rocky Point from our neighbors, and even complete strangers! We finally decided to try it, and we were not disappointed.

The drive from Phoenix is four hours. We met people who drove from San Diego and New Mexico as well. The town of Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) is touristy, poor, but small. It doesn't feel as corporate or commercial as, say, Cancun, and it is definitely a 180 from Las Vegas. We were SO happy there is NO gambling anywhere here. So we like that the drive there was quick and that driving through the town when we got there wasn't extensive. Once you get to the hotels it is LAID BACK and everything is very nice.

Sandy Beach is amazing. We collected many shells. There are sweet tide pools. Many local families enjoying the beach, as well as the tourists, many people selling things, but no one pesters you too badly. Once you say "no" they immediately leave. Everyone is polite. You can leave your bags on the beach and no one will take your things. There are drinks, fruits, crafts for sale, music, you name it. At night you can build a bon fire on the beach. It is perfect for a quick romantic getaway or a week long family vacation.

The exchange rate was just okay, but we felt things were fairly priced. We stayed on the fourth floor, overlooking the ocean (we requested a king bed and an ocean view well in advance, which they gave us). There is a snack bar down by the pool that is cheap, and it is very good. Plus, you get to add all of your extras for free (peppers, guacamole, onions, etc.). Children and families are having such a good time there, and everything stays so clean. There is security, as well, and they are very good about keeping things in order. You get a bracelet at check-in to let security know that you are allowed pool/beach access.

So our king room was a suite, which meant we had an actual bedroom (tight space, but had a closet, a vanity seat and mirror, a safe for valuables and a very firm king bed and lots of lighting and a good ceiling fan to keep us even cooler), no tub, but a shower, which was acceptable, albeit small, a kitchenette with two bar stools (mini fridge and microwave, plus some glasses for our use and an ice bucket and coffee maker/mugs/free coffee), a small round table and two chairs, plus a living room area with a pull-out couch. We were able to set the temperature in the room to where we like it, and it was very good air conditioning!. It is quite hot in Rocky Point, but the humidity is what makes it more difficult. The AC was great.

There is Max's, a small restaurant/bar across the street, kind of $/$$ but really good (owned by a man from Syracuse, NY--a great little place to eat and drink!), plus a pharmacy (totally over priced--so we avoided it). It is a short taxi drive, or take your own car around the cove to get to shopping and more restaurants. The parking is ample at the hotel and the shopping/market areas, and it is free. The pharmacies near the shopping across the cove are a bit cheaper. Prices change from place to place, so compare.

Don't recommend you getting any pesos for your trip--don't bother, as they prefer US dollars everywhere. Besides, you lose when you make the exchange, then lose again cashing them in for USD when you leave. We had one night free at the hotel for having purchased two nights. Total king suite cost was $475 for three nights. We got one night of room service (we DON'T recommend room service--it took an hour and a half and was pretty bad, unless you like mystery meat beef nachos with liquid orange queso sauce.) Just warning you--it isn't typical American fare. We think the pizza came from Max's, and it tasted like reheated frozen fare.

There is SO MUCH to do there! We rented ATVs, a jeep (took it into the desert--wow!), rode a banana boat ($5 a person, but only a ten minute ride--but still a blast!). They have many pina colada stands throughout the town ($6 in your own carved out pineapple!..and not much rum, but they pour the extra into a plastic cup and give it to you). Lots of street tacos. Fish tacos are especially good there--and especially at the hotel snack bar (yum!). Restaurants out on the street are cheaper if run by locals.

You can parasail, rent a ski-doo or kayak, charter a fishing boat, take a sunset booze cruise, rent bikes on the beach from Paul, ride horses, swim in the ocean and enjoy the sunset (wow!), collect seashells, check out the restaurants of the other resorts...

Rocky Point has a lot of unfinished construction due to the housing market crash. This makes the place still feel somewhat remote, a bit of a secret gem. We only saw Mexican families there, for the most part, and all seem to be relatively well-off financially. People are family oriented and very polite. Still can't get over how clean it all felt. Cholla Bay is a fun excursion on a jeep or ATV (a dirt road takes you to the point, and it is rough on a car), and there is a convenience store way out there, plus a secret little cove inlet (so lovely and blue!).

The whole place is magical and we cannot wait to return.

If you go by car:
Bring a cooler for sure, and bring your favorite beverages (although it is cheap to buy it there, too). Remember sun screen! (it cost $18 at the pharmacy, so we didn't pay that!) :(
Bring beach chairs/loungers, and/or beach blankets
Bring a shelter if you can--these are pitched all over the beach.

People are so nice, we were offered to sit under someone's shelter, we had our own chairs so we declined, but we shared our tequila. :)

It is a jean shorts and old t-shirts kind of place, but also a place to dress nice for dinner. Remember going to the lake or beach with your family as a kid? This whole place re-creates that same feeling. Don't dress to impress. Dress to relax. But also know this is a place to dress APPROPRIATELY.

Sleep quality was excellent, with the exception of other guests who like to passionately fight at 5am. You may want to consider that when you request where you want your room to be.

ALSO: Leave your diamonds at home. Just don't bother with jewelry if you can help it.

Room Tip: Sleep quality was excellent, with the exception of other guests who like to passionately fight at 5a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Susan M
Phoenix
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I wouldn't say this is a 5 star resort so if that's what you're looking for, this is not the place for you. But if you're coming down to Rocky point with a family this is the place to stay. The price was very good compared to the other big resorts without compromising service and cleanliness. The pools are great and I'm sure they are heated because the temperature was always perfectly warm which is really important if you're traveling with babies/children. The hotel has it's own "fake beach sand" area right over the real beach! You only need to walk down a few steps and you are on the sandy beach. The ocean water when we went was warm and calm, again perfect for the children. The tide goes very low during the mornings and evenings which makes it perfect for exploring tide pools. Our hotel room was pretty clean. My only complaint is that the sewer system smelled really strong at night. Having lived in Mexico before, I don't think it's isolated to this resort only, I think this is a normal problem all around. My headboard had a funny smell, so all night I just tried to keep my head away from it. The towels are very thin and the shower is too close to the toilet In my opinion. So I would say, if you have a lot of money to spend then you can probably stay somewhere fancier. But, if you are an average couple or family like us who are looking for a clean, fun place on the beach, On A Budget, stay in Peñasco del Sol! Don't expect the best service at the front desk. There's a little restaurant across the lot that serves delicious food. We never had a need to venture outside this area. So, great pools, family friendly, nice rooms,great price on the best beach. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank OxlFamily
Victorville, California
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Had a wonderful time,love this hotel 2nd time here!! very clean,comfy beds,quiet &peace thru/out,Restaurant hostess was very courteous & very attentive thank you so much!!! beautiful pool areas the kids loved it...beach area is nice & they have rentals with reasonable pricing very affordable,you won't regret the stay here!! we will defenitely be back... =)

Room Tip: Higher floors have a nicer view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husaband and I had previously stayed at the hotel and we had been planning a short family vacation I wanted to upgrade my stay before making my reservation to include the breakfeast buffet I spoke with Francisca and after emailing the hotel twice I never heard back from anyone so I decided to call not only did se act as if she was not intrested in what I was telling her and the questions that I had for her but she put me on hold in the middle of our conversation I lost the opportunity to get a discount for 90 day prior reservation and asked her if they would validate the offer and she told me that I should feel free to reserve on line I never got the answer to the questions that I had and I will be looking into another hotel for our future vacation
N. Lopez.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Norma L
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

On June 12th, 2014 to the 16th, my family and I stayed at this hotel. It was the worst experience we've had at a hotel do to the rude, unprofessional n harassing security. We had other members of the family staying at a different hotel and they came to visit us but they were stopped be one of the security and he asked them where they were going. When my sister said they were there to visit us the security told her she couldn't be there so they escorted her n her family all the way to the lobby to make sure that they left. They felt sooo humiliated cause they treated them like delinquents. So do to their unprofessional employees and security we're NEVER staying there!!!! Don't waist your money at this hotel, so much for a fun and relaxing vacation......

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family