“Return to Sonoran Spa”

Sonoran Spa Resort Rocky Point
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Reviewed October 1, 2012

this was my second time staying here, it is right on the beach with a nice balcony with patio furniture. Nice furniture in the condo and it was clean. Need maintance, It was really hot and humid, lots of condensation from the air conditioner dripping from vents but it worked really well.
Nice and comfy king size bed. We went the week before Labor day weekend and it was empty and really nice and quiet. Flew into Phoenix and drove down to Puerto Penasco after going and doing a Costco shop, great road, no hassles beautiful scenery. We did get stopped by the mexican army looking for drugs and guns. They were polite and quick. I felt very safe through out the visit
Went to the fish market in town, bought fresh shrimp and fish for dinner. yummy

Very hot and humid .....swimming in the ocean was great and the pool was clean, Nice workout room too.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Victoria M
There are newer reviews for Sonoran Spa Resort Rocky Point

Reviewed September 24, 2012

It was our first trip together to Sandy Beach and we were quite pleased. The drive was easy and straightforward. A direct shot practically out of Phoenix. Within an hours arrival we were registered, unpacked and down to the water. This beach is sandy all right. It's a soft sand, kept really clean and you can wade out what feels forever into the water with continual soft footing beneath you. In the low tide events you can walk out very very far to explore the ocean floor and the small tide pools and wild life. It was excellent.

Oue resort included a pool and hot tub which we never went into but they looked inviting. The restaurant on the property was being renovated but down the road there were others to enjoy. Also with the condo, the kitchen was completely stocked with all the tools necessary to enable us to make our own meals with all the food we brought.

We needed a break and this provided it. Easy, last minute planning, a quick 4 day respite, we came back again in August and rented the same unit. I expect to be back several times each year now that we know how easy it is to get here and enjoy the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in N805, a one bedroom condo, center tower, top floor. It was quiet with a great view. A t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 603laurena
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Visited in June with my BF and was very, very, impressed with our suite! These are privately owned, so every one can be different, but the 2bed/2bath we were in was very spacious, way too big for the two of us to be using alone.

The weather was perfect, beach was gorgeous and the sonoran spa had a relaxed, casual atmosphere that was fun but friendly and not "too much" like the resort next door. That one...woah...pool was packed, music was way too loud and people were hammered.

Sonoran Spa is much more the place for me! Thanks for a nice stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank msu_gal
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have never write a review for any hotel because I always think that people have different opinion on what they are looking for in a resort. But this time I will write one. This weekend that we stay at this resort will be one that my entire family will never forget. My son bumb into sliding glass door not ran into it just bumb into it and that's all it took for our nightmare to begin. In one second glass chunks came falling down on him. I though that he was going to be gone. He ended almost loosing his leg and he is only 5 yrs old. According to staff at resort all rooms don't have tampered glass and could do the same if bumbed the wrong way. I write this to warn anyone thinking of coming to this resort. If you have children please becareful with them near that glass. If you drink becareful near that glass. If I could one family from going through the nightmare we went thru this review will be well worth it.

• Stayed: June 2012
8  Thank Racosta75
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Like the previous reviewer said most of these condo's are owned and rented out, we were lucky to find a great two bedroom on the third floor. We stayed for two weeks in early June 2012 love the views from the Sonoran Spa and Sea and Sun and they way they are set up makes for a beautiful ocean view from all rooms. We stayed at the Sea in March and much prefer that resort cause of the pool bar and it was a quieter resort then the Spa. The Spa seemed to many families of 10-15 mexicans cramed into one room the second weekend we were there. They were quite noisy and loud talking from balconies down to the pool or beach!!! And totally over run the pool which was fine with me as we much prefer the beach. Which there is no palapa's at the Spa so you better bring your own umbrella or purchase one from a vendor on the beach. We did eat one night at the little resturant there it is small with some inside tables and outside tables. We ate outside cause it was cooler outside then inside and the food (dinner) was really good! We also made our trip to the fish market a few times and ate at The Pointe for lunch and at The lighthouse on whale hill on night always wonderful to eat there and the views are to die for at sunset.
We have also stayed at Las Palomas many times but I really love the beach and totally think the views are far better at the Sonoran Sea, Spa and Sun so next visit in Oct. we're staying at the Sun.
The Sea is gated and has security 24hrs a day and I always feel safe in Rocky Point have never stopped going there and never will. Now they even have a brand new Sams Club to my surprise!!! How cool is that? Although I do enjoy our trips to the grocery store there in Rocky Point the super ley. Rocky Point is a great getaway for us in Arizona why go to Hawaii when you have such a beautiful beach within driving distance?!!!!

Room Tip: That's what I love about the Sonoran Spa, Sea, or Sun all rooms have great ocean views!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mrskeystone
Reviewed June 24, 2012

When we first arrive I was worried that I would have to carry all of our luggage up the stairs, but the staff greeted me and help me with my luggage ad make check-in really easy.

When I arrive to the condo, I was worried about the kitchen not having supplies, but there were plenty and in good condition to cook for me and my whole family.

Room Tip: The rooms on the bottom are best if you have kids!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TDB3825
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We have stayed at many resorts in Puerto Penasco, including the Sonoran Sea, Las Palomas and now the Sonoran Spa. Much of your experience will depend on the unit you rent, as they will be decorated by the owners. This was probably our least favorite of the three resorts, but by no means is it a bad place to stay. Las Palomas has both topped with their far superior pools and the food and bar service at the pool. The beach is perfect at all three locations, which are within walking distance from each other. We have travelled to many beaches around the world and this is actually one of our favorites, because of the huge difference in tides (many tidepools and creatures to find), the warm and clear water, and the abundance of sea life in the Sea of Cortez. It is beautiful. The pool at the Spa is decent - it had a bit of an yellow tinge - not sure why. There is a cheapy plastic slide which the kids liked. I don't like that there is no food service at the pool (there is a little restaurant which we didn't try). This resort is also a quick walk to the sports bar Changos which is nice to hang out (wouldn't recommend the food). It is also a quick drive to downtown (try the fish tacos at Mary's) and our favorite, The Reef, which has fantastic food. We actually took a banana boat from the restaurant back to the hotel - best taxi ride ever. LOL There are also no permanent umbrellas on the beach which is a pain because you have to bring down your own shade. The chairs and umbrellas by the pool are comforable, though. I might stay here again, as we got a GREAT deal ($75/night). I much prefer Las Palomas, however. We had no problems with safey, and we never have in our years driving down. A great escape from Phoenix and a quick drive down.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family