We returned to the Playa Inn this weekend. It has changed hands in the past 4 months and is now the Grand Hacienda. Granted, 4 months isn't much time to make radical changes, but it appears as if the new ownership really isn't attempting to fix anything and isn't able to maintain the status quo. The property is run down and severely lacking.
1. Our room, upon inspection was clean as a maid could make it, but well-worn with no amenities.
2. The front desk didn't know how or have $$ to make change.
3. No electricity = no airconditioner or lights or well, anything. We were told that there were "issues with the electricity." After the desk clerk, who spoke no english, ran around for 30+ min, the power was switched on by the gentleman who was valiantly trying to deal with a pool issue.
4. The pool was green. No amount of chemicals that they were madly pouring into it would have helped the situation. (The had a group of young soccer players that expected to swim. To do so, would have put them in peril. By the next morning, the pool was still green and chemicals were floating on the surface.) Draining, scrubbing, refilling and proper chemical maintenance were the only hope.
5. There was no hot water to shower with. There was no hot water. period.
6. The security men that formerly watched the parking lot at night were absent.
On the plus side:
1. The desk clerk actually thought about where he placed people, so no one was above or next door which resulted in the rooms being very quiet. (Although he mistakenly entered our room in the wee hours - mistaking it for the room next door to check if it had power before renting it. Good for a scare.)
2. The hand-painted murals in the restaurant and lobby are very good.
3. The bar, is well-tended and offers good specials.
4. The interior courtyard is well-swept and ant-free.
It is sad to see this nice, friendly, budget hotel in this condition. If you just want a cheap room and clean sheets, cold showers and spotty electricity, this property will work for you One can only hope it improves in time. but I doubt that we will be returning any time soon.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Hotel Puerto Penasco
- Playa Hotel Puerto Peñasco
- Hotel Playa Inn
- Playa Inn Puerto Penasco
- Playa Inn Hotel Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico