“Not Resort-type facility-more like a motel”
Review of Playa Bonita Hotel

Playa Bonita Hotel
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Puerto Penasco
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Not Resort-type facility-more like a motel”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in Puerto Penasco and the hotel; however, the negatives were:
-no ice machines
-must buy ice from the front desk-$1.50 a bag
-no "services" book in the room - had no idea what type of services were offered - which I realized was none, after the first day
-no washclothes in the room; had to ask for them
-we went "off season", so most of the small restaurants in town were closed-not much choice on where to eat
-there were only about 10 people staying in the entire hotel - really quiet
-no coffee or extras in the room - only soap and shampoo; nothing else.
-I was expecting a little more amenities
-real old TV
-I know it is Mexico, but they would not make coffee in the lobby until 8:00, and no breakfast until 8:00 - we get up early and had to wait until 8:00 AM for services
-Super hot - the ocean is hot and the weather was unbearable - now I know why there were only about 10 people in the hotel - no one goes there during this time - I knew it would be hot, but I didn't know the ocean water would be hot; thought it would be cool, but the water was hot, too - so had to wait until evening to swim or real early in the morning. Best to go in November, we were told by the waiters.
-The beach has a lot of broken glass - the beach is not super dirty, but it is a somewhat dirty. the broken glass was kind of scary, so we wore our water shoes, just in case. I picked up a whole bag of broken glass, which didn't put a dent in the trash and glass on the beach
-We wanted to buy shrimp, and they quoted us a price of $15, which we found out later, that the shrimp was fozen and that price was rediculous - we know you negotiate in Mexico, but I guess the going rate is around $7 a pound, so we didn't buy any - shrimp season will start end of Septemeber, when you get fresh shrimp
-Don't ask too many questions, they don't know anything. We took grills to grill on the beach, but we didn't know if that was allowed, and no one knew - we asked about 10 people - in town and at the hotel (which we know they want you to eat in the restaruant, so we knew they wouldn't know, but no one in town knew, either)

The positives:

-Rooms were clean
-food at the restaurant (which is part of the hotel), was wonderful - delicious! Some items were good prices, others too high. We ordered plates around $8 - dinners were priced between $18-$25, which I thought was really high for Mexico. Breakfast was delicious - around $7
-Waiters are really great - so nice and excellent service
-Rooms were comfortable-I believe all rooms have an ocean view, which is really nice
-two swimming pools - really clean; but hot! Mostly we stayed in the pool during the day-was able to cool down a bit, but the water was really still a bit hot
-hot tub available, but it was broken (no problem---didn't need hot water), but the hot tub had obviously been broken for awhile.
-The beach sand is super hot - so had to wait until it cooled down to get the the ocean, but once there (in the evening) it was a whole lot of fun - tide pools, and really fun looking at all the critters in the tide pools
-the hotel overall, for Mexico is clean and lots of security guards around.
-they take US dollars everywhere

Overall:

-don't go in Sept - too hot to even go the the market place; too hot to do anything. We were told November is a good time, although I'm not sure how cool it gets
-loved the fact that we had the place to ourselves, basically no one was on the beach - a few people walking at night, and that was about it
-the hotel is over priced, I think, for Mexico. It was like staying in a cheap hotel; even though the grounds are really pretty and the swimming pool is nice; other than that, I believe a better price for this hotel would be around $59, considering there are no services to speak of - nothing in the room that was "resort" type rooms. I've stayed in hotels in the USA that were better than this for around $49-$59 dollars.
-You must walk to the beach - be sure and take water shoes, also, I would take a coffee maker, if you want coffee early in the morning - make your own coffee. Also, take snacks, etc. no vending machines or anything other than the restaurant next door. don't expect too much as far as services, other than nice people and good food. We bought some items in town, though - there are stores, etc.
-Gas is super expensive - about 40 cents per gallon over the US price.
Really nice people - the girl at the front desk had a bad attitude, but everyone else is super nice

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to have an ocean view - higher level would probably be better; we were on the first...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AlbuquerqueGary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time. Rooms are nice, service was average, food at the restaurant was ok. Very nice location so close to the beach. Open parking lot but felt safe. I wish they have wifi in the rooms as they only have it in the lobby. Not too much to watch on TV about 8 channels mostly in Spanish. Beds are a bit on the hard side but not too bad.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Chavarria85
richmond, VA
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was such a wonderful resort. The best bang for your buck in Rocky Point. It was very safe and comfortable and the front desk staff are bilingual and absolutely delightful! We ate the morning buffet 2 days and it was good but the same thing each day. There was a good variety of Mexican morning favorites which quite differ from the American breakfast. It was a little pricey I thought for Mexico ($10). I traveled with 6 of my friends, all Hispanic (I was the only Gringo) and they really enjoyed it. As I said it was good, just not quite my cup of tea for breakfast. There are plenty of other places to go to eat breakfast.

The beach and water were absolutely beautiful and wonderful! The beach venders can be a little annoying but usually go away with a "no thank you." However, if you do decide to buy something it will be like feeding the seagulls on the beach.

We had such a marvelous time and you won't find a nicer, safer place in Rocky Point for the money. If you want an inexpensive weekend to the beach, Playa Bonita is for you. I will definitely be back and THIS is MY resort.

Room Tip: I don't know if they had a fitness center or not but they do have a spa. We did not order room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank merimedicn
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed August 19, 2013

just got back from rocky point worst trip ever, been there many times always had a great time, but this time we caught the hotel security inside our room stealing money from my wallet he took 900 dollars I was only able to recover 300 I do not recommend anyone to stay there, if you cant trust security who can you.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Jose b

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Penasco hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our family of five in two rooms have just returned from a two night stay here. We arrived late at 8pm and still had to wait 30 mins for our rooms to be ready. The hold up aparantly was the doors were being fixed ????? at 8pm at night not good enough. The rooms are old,bathroom was terrible,bed uncomfortable, air conditioner very noisy. We had to have it on as cool as possible to block out all the noisey kids running up and down the hallway at all hrs of the day and night. Yes I had read all the other reviews so I knew what I was getting. For the hefty price we paid it was disappointing. On the upside you are only in the room to sleep. Position wise on the beach is fabulous and the restaurant next door was ok but handy if you don't want to drive into town. Next time we are in Rocky Point we'll try a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Payson, Arizona
Reviewed June 24, 2013

You'll consider it to be pretty rough if you're picky but I'm pretty tolerant. The location is really good. It's right on the beach (and the beach is absolutely wonderful) and town is just a few minutes away, with lots of shops, restaurants and friendly people. The hotel has a good restaurant too. The rooms are the problem. I had to coat the runner on the sliding glass door to the patio with soap before it would open and close without getting a hernia. The curtains were hanging down. The air conditioner is wall-mounted and very loud. Bathroom sink empties very slowly ... Beginning to see a pattern? But - it is Mexico and it's on the beach and life moves a little slower there. And my wife and I have stayed there every year for about the last 15 so it's obviously tolerable.

Room Tip: Always ask for a beach-front room, not just beach-view. And don't get a room on the far east end...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Merritt P
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Highly recommended for family trips. Clean hotel, nice and friendly staff, and premium beach access. You can't really beat the location of this place. It is right in the middle of Sandy Beach with the best view in the whole area in my opinion.
Pros: Nice views from every room, price, location, easy access to the next-door restaurant, safe with ample parking being monitored by security personnel 24/7, 5 mins drive to the town and all of its resources.
Cons: Lots of kids (lots!) playing around all the time (This is a con if you are planning a single or romantic vacation), a bit outdated rooms, restaurant is a little overpriced (maybe because of the great view it has)... and that's all I can think of for now.
Overall we had a blast during our recent vacation! Puerto Penasco is totally worth to be consider as vacation point for people living in AZ and CA.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family