“Awesome view!!! Wish we would have come for sunset.”
Review of Casa del Capitan

Casa del Capitan
Ranked #16 of 157 Restaurants in Puerto Penasco
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We got there around 7:30pm on a Saturday night. We waited about 15 minutes for a party of 5 on the patio. We had an awesome view of the bay. Service was quick and friendly, the margaritas were large and strong, and the food was good. We'll definitely go back.

The turn off the main road is on the left. Look for signs for El Capitan or the Lighthouse and head up the dirt road. You can make it in a car if you go really slow. There is parking at the top of the hill and there was an attendant directing traffic up there when we went.

1  Thank DesertblondAZ

Reviewed October 14, 2013

A group of 4 came here for dinner. While the view was exceptional the food wasn't. Maybe we caught them on an off night but here is our experience.

My sister and I ordered the French Onion soup. It was ice cold and the cheese wasn't even melted. We told the waiter and they brought us 2 new bowls which were just as cold? At this point I gave up on ordering any other food. My sister ordered and meal (can't remember what) but she wasn't impressed.

My husband ordered a fried fish dinner and he said the fish and the batter was bland, no flavor. My brother-in-law order the coconut shrimp which was to come with a sauce. After waiting 10 minutes for the waiter to come back, my sister got up and went to the bar to ask for the sauce that comes with it. By the time this all happened his meal was cold. The waiter didn't come back to check us for a long time.

We were there Monday, October 7, 2013. They were very busy and didn't seem to have enough waiters.

The sunset was incredible but I would only recommend this place for cocktails and the view, skip the food.

Location: This place is really hard to find. It is off of Benito Juarez street behind a Bud Light sign and another sign that says 3 Boys. You actually drive behind the Bud Light building up a dirt road. Then it is a steep drive up the hill where you see the Lighthouse and the bar with the same name. The restaurant is on top, the Lighthouse bar is below it.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Every time I dine at Casa del Capitan, I make new discoveries in the colorful, Puerto Vallarta-like entrance, the artwork & decor, the various tables, the incredible views and the decent food and drink, too. This place seems to have everything. Try to get a dining table on the refreshing outer terrace, directly overlooking the bustling waterfront and malecon 300 feet below.

The only drawbacks are the terrible, steep unpaved road up to the restaurant, off Blvd Benito Juarez as it enters the Old Port area and some food items could be upgraded a bit. The drinks are fine and there is a good mix of tourists, regular townies and Mexican families out for a treat.

Bottom line: I think Casa del Capitan never fails to impress and will be enjoyed by nearly all but the fussiest folks. Drive slowly up the hill to their decent parking lot and enjoy the view and the hospitality.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This restaurant is really hard to find but more on that later.

The view is incredible, so go for the sunset and skip the food. Get a cocktail and then eat somewhere else. The soup was cold (french onion) so the cheese didn't even melt. The fish dinner that my husband got was bland. My brother-in-law didn't get any sauce that was to go with the coconut shrimp and my sister had to go the bar to get it. The service was really slow. Our dinner and the whole experience took over 2 hours! No one liked their food!!!

I gave this place a 3 star just because of the view.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We come to this restaurant every time we are in Rocky Point and we haven't had a bad experience yet. Everything we have tried is amazing. The food, the drinks, the service, the view are all incredible.

1  Thank Loves-Mexico08