Damson Dene Hotel
Travelodge Kendal(Kendal)(Great Value!)
$65
Travelodge
2,287 results
All reviewsduck pondgroupon deallog fireleisure facilitiesmanager waynejacuzzi bathevening mealfour posterquiz nightreception areadog friendly hoteltwo nightsthree course mealvenisonbreakfast was buffet stylefamily roomlake district
Reviewed September 16, 2008

the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. The only redeeemable feature was the food. Awful truely awful

• Stayed: April 2004, traveled with family
4  Thank TrevitTreels
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Be warned, hotel very tired in decor. Rooms not as posted on web site. Staff are very sparse, actually I'm sure it could have been a sketch out of a comedy program with the receptionist trebling up as a bar tender and then waitress, but wasn't that the girl who cleaned our room. Flat beer. Aldi beans at breakfast. Restaurant closes when it pleases. if you've booked that extra bit special room go that little bit further in price but miles apart in service and book the Old England in Bowness.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank scorpio005
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We booked into this hotel for our 10 year wedding anniversary, so we were happy to pay the extra for the Spa / Pool and we also upgraded our room to the 4 poster and jacuzzi bath - all good so far.

Right - the good points, the food there whilst a limited choice 3-4 main dishes each night, was 3-4 dishes cooked extremely well and was delicious. The pool was ok with a jacuzzi pool next to it, and was extremely pleasant to swim in. The surrounding scenary was stunning and the views exactly what you would want.

The bad points, well perhaps bad points is a little too strong, perhaps the "OK" points. I agree with another comment left in reference to the dinning room, it was just a conference centre with nothing more than tables and chairs installed. The staff were extremely efficient, this though was part of the problem. Whilst they were efficient it bordered on mechanical which led to the whole experience being impersonal and did nothing to add to the lack of atmosphere throughout the dining experiencing.

The bad points, yes this time the real bad points, we had wine in our room on day two and the wine glasses were not removed for the next two days by house keeping. The rooms were extremely dated, though this is not necessarily a bad things (What with it being in the Lakes blah blah blah). We just felt like they could have done with a bloody good clean, whilst not dirty, we got the impressions that only the bare minimum had been done to them to "turn" them over.

I can't really say that the hotel was thoroughly dissappointing, but I can say that we had expected more, expecially when spending over £550 (not including drinks) on a break to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. For a hotel of this cost we expected alot more.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2008

We booked 3 nights in this hotel for a getaway break, not having spent much time together recently. I know that Lake District hotels in summer are expensive, but I felt really ripped off by this place. We paid £130 per night.

I was convinvced to book this hotel as it had a pool, but when we checked in we were told that it was closed that day as it had to be refilled. Fair enough, can't be helped. But when we went to the pool the following day, it was so cold I couldn't get in (it's an indoor pool). This place bills itself as having a spa/leisure centre, but getting into this pool was not at all relaxing!

Our room was tiny, so much so that there was nowhere to put our cases, and the room was filled with unnecessary funiture (which some guests had placed in the corridors). The bathroom was recently renovated but not finished and the whole place was shabby and tired. Blankets on the bed (can we not have duvets in this day and age?), chipboard furniture, etc. The bar was a disappointment, and we go back to reception and ask them to open it for us. The dining room was more like a conference room with no atmosphere, and it seemed impossible to find out anything about the menu in advance, despite having to book your table by 5pm. I actually stayed in a Travelodge the following week which was much nicer (and less than half the price).

I will NOT be going back.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KJLondonLondon
Reviewed August 23, 2008

My wife booked for us to stay here for two nights for my birthday after we'd looked through the hotel's website & read their reviews by previous customers. The reviews & photographs on the site showed the place in a really positive light & the promise of high quality food was a real draw.

On pulling into the car park and entering reception all still appeared to be fine and we were handed our room key by a pretty uninterested receptionist (sorry we don't have any proper keyrings!). Walking into the hotel room can only be described as a heart sinking experience. I travel a lot with work and have stayed in some 'interesting' hotels in the past but this really did take the biscuit. The room and bathroom were very small, to give it it's due, the bathroom appeared to have been recently refurbished but the room itself hadn't seen any attention for a long, long time. The decor & furnishings were straight out of the 70's, the room wasn't particularly clean - paintwork, dressing table tops were chipped etc. Still, the food would be good...right?

Wrong... I had meatballs & mashed potato (a strange choice from such a high quality menu? but choice was limited). In some kind of surreal Fawlty Towers moment I found a hair in my last fork-full of the meal. I mentioned this to the waiter, who's response was 'Ok'...good response, keep up the high levels of customer service guys. The food was average at best.

The place really does need a facelift. I've never written a review of anything before & would just usually write something like this down to experience but the hotel's own website is so misleading I need to rant somewhere.

One last gripe. The TV in our room was only tuned to three channels and reception was appalling (I know we should have been out enjoying the beauty of the lake district, but give me a break, it was my birthday!). I mentioned this to reception and was told that they didn't know how they could help. They agreed that I should just have a go at tuning it myself.

We checked out after the first night of our planned two night stay. The second night of our weekend break was spent in a Travel Inn at Lancaster. I didn't believe that I would ever say this but the travel inn beat our first choice hands down.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank AdeF