“Damson Dene Hotel - Romantic Getwaway - hmmmmm”
Review of Damson Dene Hotel

Damson Dene Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crosthwaite
Loughborough
“Damson Dene Hotel - Romantic Getwaway - hmmmmm”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We booked into this hotel for our 10 year wedding anniversary, so we were happy to pay the extra for the Spa / Pool and we also upgraded our room to the 4 poster and jacuzzi bath - all good so far.

Right - the good points, the food there whilst a limited choice 3-4 main dishes each night, was 3-4 dishes cooked extremely well and was delicious. The pool was ok with a jacuzzi pool next to it, and was extremely pleasant to swim in. The surrounding scenary was stunning and the views exactly what you would want.

The bad points, well perhaps bad points is a little too strong, perhaps the "OK" points. I agree with another comment left in reference to the dinning room, it was just a conference centre with nothing more than tables and chairs installed. The staff were extremely efficient, this though was part of the problem. Whilst they were efficient it bordered on mechanical which led to the whole experience being impersonal and did nothing to add to the lack of atmosphere throughout the dining experiencing.

The bad points, yes this time the real bad points, we had wine in our room on day two and the wine glasses were not removed for the next two days by house keeping. The rooms were extremely dated, though this is not necessarily a bad things (What with it being in the Lakes blah blah blah). We just felt like they could have done with a bloody good clean, whilst not dirty, we got the impressions that only the bare minimum had been done to them to "turn" them over.

I can't really say that the hotel was thoroughly dissappointing, but I can say that we had expected more, expecially when spending over £550 (not including drinks) on a break to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. For a hotel of this cost we expected alot more.

• Liked — Not Much in the opverall picture of the entire experience - perhaps the views
  • Disliked — the cost
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
London
Reviewed August 28, 2008

We booked 3 nights in this hotel for a getaway break, not having spent much time together recently. I know that Lake District hotels in summer are expensive, but I felt really ripped off by this place. We paid £130 per night.

I was convinvced to book this hotel as it had a pool, but when we checked in we were told that it was closed that day as it had to be refilled. Fair enough, can't be helped. But when we went to the pool the following day, it was so cold I couldn't get in (it's an indoor pool). This place bills itself as having a spa/leisure centre, but getting into this pool was not at all relaxing!

Our room was tiny, so much so that there was nowhere to put our cases, and the room was filled with unnecessary funiture (which some guests had placed in the corridors). The bathroom was recently renovated but not finished and the whole place was shabby and tired. Blankets on the bed (can we not have duvets in this day and age?), chipboard furniture, etc. The bar was a disappointment, and we go back to reception and ask them to open it for us. The dining room was more like a conference room with no atmosphere, and it seemed impossible to find out anything about the menu in advance, despite having to book your table by 5pm. I actually stayed in a Travelodge the following week which was much nicer (and less than half the price).

I will NOT be going back.

• Liked — When we left
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KJLondonLondon
Northumberland
Reviewed August 23, 2008

My wife booked for us to stay here for two nights for my birthday after we'd looked through the hotel's website & read their reviews by previous customers. The reviews & photographs on the site showed the place in a really positive light & the promise of high quality food was a real draw.

On pulling into the car park and entering reception all still appeared to be fine and we were handed our room key by a pretty uninterested receptionist (sorry we don't have any proper keyrings!). Walking into the hotel room can only be described as a heart sinking experience. I travel a lot with work and have stayed in some 'interesting' hotels in the past but this really did take the biscuit. The room and bathroom were very small, to give it it's due, the bathroom appeared to have been recently refurbished but the room itself hadn't seen any attention for a long, long time. The decor & furnishings were straight out of the 70's, the room wasn't particularly clean - paintwork, dressing table tops were chipped etc. Still, the food would be good...right?

Wrong... I had meatballs & mashed potato (a strange choice from such a high quality menu? but choice was limited). In some kind of surreal Fawlty Towers moment I found a hair in my last fork-full of the meal. I mentioned this to the waiter, who's response was 'Ok'...good response, keep up the high levels of customer service guys. The food was average at best.

The place really does need a facelift. I've never written a review of anything before & would just usually write something like this down to experience but the hotel's own website is so misleading I need to rant somewhere.

One last gripe. The TV in our room was only tuned to three channels and reception was appalling (I know we should have been out enjoying the beauty of the lake district, but give me a break, it was my birthday!). I mentioned this to reception and was told that they didn't know how they could help. They agreed that I should just have a go at tuning it myself.

We checked out after the first night of our planned two night stay. The second night of our weekend break was spent in a Travel Inn at Lancaster. I didn't believe that I would ever say this but the travel inn beat our first choice hands down.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — The standard of the room
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank AdeF
Chorley, Lancashire
Reviewed August 22, 2008

I booked the Damson Dene as a girly walking get away with my friend. We chose it because it had leisure facilities and £49 per person including dinner seemed like great value.
I was a little aprehensive after reading mixed reviews but am pleased to say that we had a lovely time. Our room was small and slightly dated, but was clean and comfortable. The food was excellent and I could not fault the service at all. We both had 2 beauty treatments which were lovely and very proffessional and which we highly recommend. We didn't get the chance to use the swimming pool or gym but both looked to be in good order.
We had a really lovely, relaxing time and would recommend the Damson Dene as a good base for a walking or exploring break.

• Liked — The staff were lovely as was the food
  • Disliked — It was a little dated but clean and comfy
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed August 22, 2008

I attending a wedding at the hotel recently. I share some of the views about the rooms and the state of the hotel in general.

The biggest disappointment was the service or lack of it - there was no one in reception when we arrived, no apology when we finally got some service and a severe lack of management.

Breakfast was chaos and had to wait an age to get a brew and toast.

The biggest redeemiong feature was the ducks in the pond - poor things could do with some TLC though!

Seriously though, I'd half expect Basil Fawlty to appear! Or worse still, it appeared there was no management at all.

Shameful, it could be a great little spot. Was so bad, that I couldn't be bothered to complain as the queue was so big...

Message to owners "Spend a few quid on the place and fire the staff!!!"

• Liked — Checkout
  • Disliked — Where do I start?!
2 Thank theblackcat17
Manchester
Reviewed August 18, 2008

i booked 2 nights stay at the damson dene hotel in the lake district, me and my boyfriend booked it after looking at the pictures on their website, which appeared to be very well presented and the rooms looked really nice also. The pool and the beauty salon images looked very modern and up to date. The price to stay was £108.00 per night, so with the price in mind you would expect decent accomodation. However on arrival at the damson dene hotel, everything looked fine from outside, but as we entered the building we were disappointed as it looked very dated and didnt look as nice as it had appeared on the internet. we were given the key to our room which was down 2 flights of stairs, very dark and dingy! it was like being in a cellar as the window was at ground level to the outside pathway, there was no shower provided either, which in this day and age is very disapointing! we went to take a look at the "spa" and the pool was tiny, not a soul to be seen! the whole feel to the pool area was also dark and dismal, which explained why there wasn't anybody using the facilities. we immediately went to the reception desk and asked for a full refund. dissapointed we left this accomodation and headed into windermere where we went to the tourist information desk, they were extremely helpful and wasn't suprised that we weren't happy with the damson dene as they have had a lot of complaints. they said they would not send anyone there who were looking for somewhere to stay. don't be fooled by the outward appearance and pictures on their website as these must have been taken 20 or more years ago!!!! to save yourself dissapointment....dont go!

1 Thank MissChocolate1
cheshire
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Good hotel, peaceful location set in lovely grounds.
Friendly efficient staff, excellent food, ideal for a short break.

• Liked — Food & staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Lakeside Hotel
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge

Been to Damson Dene Hotel? Share your experiences!