2,344 results
All reviewsduck pondgroupon dealleisure facilitieslog firejacuzzi bathmanager waynefour poster bedquiz nightevening mealreception areadog friendly hotelvenisontwo nightsthree course mealbreakfast was buffet stylelake districtfamily room
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a 2 night break at this wonderful hotel, yes the outside of the building particulaly on the road side is quite dirty but who goes away to stare at a wall. We were put into the Annex Cottage 1 as we had a dog and the accomodation was excellent comprising 2 floors with a double and twin bed and an excellent bathroom, we had a dog with us and the fact we could just open the front door rather than navigate through the hotel was excellent. We had an inclusive meal on the first night and enjoyed it so much that we eat in the hotel the following night as well, the breakfast was by far the best I have experienced and I have stayed in plenty of 5* hotels. The location is great only a 10 minute drive from some lovely walks and the Town of Windemere. The staff are wonderful and serve you with a smile on their face, we used the spa facilities during our stay and can highly recommend these as well. All in all a wonderful stay and we will be back Soon!!! Thanks Wayne, Yvonne and staff for a wonderful short break. Carl & Natalie

Room Tip: If you are taking a dog it is worth e mailing the hotel to advise of this and request the annex rooms, we did this and they replied within half an hour to confirm.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CarlTravelagent
The_ManagerSLH, Public Relations Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

What a fantastic review, thank you very much. We are so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our lovely cottage rooms. We really appreciate your excellent feedback about the food and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed two nights at the weekend with husband and children (12 and 7). The room (family room) was sligthly dark and a bit of an odd shape but very comfortable. Breakfasts were good but almost the best bit was the view from the dining room of the sun breaking through the morning mist over the Lakeland countryside.The kids enjoyed the swimming pool.The staff were pleasant and helpful. I'd definitely stay there again.

2  Thank pistou65

Thank you for this great review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the stunning view from our restaurant in the morning. We are very lucky to have such a fab location. We look forward to your return visit, hopefully in the near future!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

What I really liked about this hotel: beautiful yard with pond, and full of birds; nice lounge area; small but functional exercise room; clean rooms; and very helpful staff, especially Tyler at the front desk who single-handedly raises my rating of the hotel by a full star.
The room I stayed in was a little on the small side and in need of updating, but the bathrooms appeared to have been recently re-done and were very nice. The breakfast is buffet style, so not as easy to have things cooked to order (although apparently the kitchen will accommodate special requests). The food was fine, although a fruit salad option would be a welcome addition.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms more distant from the lobby do not have wireless internet service.
2  Thank Alan D

Thank you very much for this great review, and in particular your lovely comments about Tyler. He will be very pleased to hear that he improved your stay by a star! Your feedback has all been noted, and we hope that you do come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

What a wonderful place to stay and take your dog when visiting the lakes. My wife and I, my 17 yr old Daughter and our 3 yr old dog have just enjoyed a 2 night w/end break in Cottage 2 at this wonderful hotel. Everything was just really fantastic, Our cottage, 1 of 3 was modern, nicely decorated and very clean,It was within the hotel grounds had 2 bedrooms both with large tv's and ideal for the dog. There was plenty of space for the dog to go in the grounds (to do his bits) and no problems for him being escorted within the hotel. We ate in the bar area (dog not allowed in restaurant or Leisure centre) and there were 3 other dogs there at the same time as us, all well behaved and letting their owners enjoy the hotel facilities.
The food and drink at the hotel ( we had a Travelzoo Package) was good value and reasonably priced and everyone we spoke to - said the same as us - What a Great place - we would certainly come back again.
Finally A BIG THANKS to Wayne the Manager - he was so helpful with suggesting places to take the dog and he made us all very welcome - This place is well worth a visit especially if you have a dog but I am sure you will enjoy it anyway and its only about 10 mins from Windermere.

Room Tip: Our 2 roomed cottage was Ideal for us with the daughter & dog but I understand other people with a dog stayed in the main hotel and were fine
2  Thank Best-of-Tel

Thank you very much for this fantastic review. We are delighted that you, your wife, your daughter and dog all very much enjoyed your stay with us at the Damson Dene Hotel. Wayne and his staff will be very pleased with your comments, and we hope that you return to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Don't get me wrong I like dogs just don't like living with them, eating with them, sitting with them and being constantly sniffed and licked by them. Also they tend to be smelly, shed a lot of hair and, to me, lean towards the wrong side of hygiene. And as for the owners....

On a serious note this hotel was not really for me although the majority of dogs and their owners were well behaved. Some however let the dogs roam free, off the leash, to do their own thing (and anything goes and frequently does all over the place!). If you are a dog owner/lover then I’m sure you will really like this place. Personally I don’t think it is fair for untrained dog owners to be let loose on their dogs. Having said my piece I’m not going to mention dogs anymore and will focus on aspects of the hotel itself.

I found the staff to be reasonable, neither particularly friendly or unfriendly but fairly neutral in their approach. I did find some staff not to have the requisite knowledge for their job; waiting staff should be knowledgeable about the food they serve. Check in was seamless but there was a question over whether our room was ready despite being there after the advertised time for check in.

Our room was OK, it was clean but with marks on the wall from previous guests and in need of a refresh. I did not like the bed. It was uncomfortable with no mattress protector. Bathroom/shower was OK. Tea and coffee making facilities were excellent, with no stinginess here.

In my opinion the evening meal was not worth the money, very average for what you got and we quickly found much better eateries in the vicinity, roughly the same prices but much better quality. The breakfast was not too bad but there was not much variety.

The hotel is in a good location in the Lyth Valley with beautiful surrounding country side and easy access to all the major Lake District attractions – a big plus.

The general décor of the hotel is a bit tired and needs updating

I was happy to use this hotel as a cheap option to explore the Lake District for a couple of days but it is nothing special. I would not like to have to spend a lot of time here and it would not be my ideal place for a romantic stay. Everything is a bit insipid and lukewarm, that is unless you are a dog owner of course!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your comments and are sorry that the Damson Dene is not the hotel for you. We do request that dog owners control and clean up after their dogs, and there are areas within the hotel that are kept dog free. We do not feel that your description of dogs being let loose all over the hotel is really accurate, but we are sorry that you felt that way.