2,354 results
All reviews duck pond groupon deal leisure facilities log fire jacuzzi bath manager wayne four poster bed quiz night evening meal reception area dog friendly hotel venison two nights three course meal breakfast was buffet style lake district family room
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I am one 5 friends who worked together 45 yrs ago and meet up every year for a long weekend. This was our 3rd year at Damson Dene. Service, ambience, food and location all excellent. One or two corners of the hotel are a little tired but Wayne the manager (what a super guy) said they were being attended to. Would definitely rate this hotel as an excellent base for exploring the wonderful countryside and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Many of them are not British but their professionalism and care could not be faulted.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank florence041
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We originally booked our break via a Travelzoo offer back in early March. We had never heard of the Damson Dene but considering it's proximity to Lake Windermere, we decided to go for it. Imagine our surprise when we discovered a month later, that the hotel would be the subject of a CH4 documentary. This certainly didn't put us off as the saying goes "don't knock it until you've tried it".

Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted and afternoon tea was arranged by Lavinia. The foyer/reception area feels like a home which we feel is very important in making people feel comfortable during their stay.

Our room was superb. A four poster bed with a bathroom containing a jacuzzi. Fresh sheets and pillows and the usual complimentary soaps and shampoos in the bathroom with a rarely seen sewing kit, shoeshine and shower caps. Tea and coffee making facilities were excellent with a wide range to choose from.

The food served in the restaurant was first class (well done Kirk & co). The menu changed on a daily basis. Dinner and breakfast were of an exceptionally high standard especially the sausages, lamb and soup. The wine and spirits selection was comprehensive. We must add that it was such a joy in getting served by staff who smiled and never had any hesitation accommodating our requirements.

The surrounding gardens and scenery are very picturesque. During the summer, you could most definitely sit outside and enjoy the sunshine.

And the most important aspect of this review refers to the staff. Very helpful and attentive. We were treated with respect and courtesy at all times as well being treated more like friends than guests. We really did feel at home. A special thank you goes out to Wayne, Amos and Lavinia. You truly know how to look after your guests.

All in all, we had a fantastic time at the Damson Dene. I would be inclined to ignore the CH4 documentary as it only shows what the audience should see for the sake of boosting viewing figures although a bit of free advertising doesn't hurt. We are already looking to returning this coming September.

4  Thank BobsBobs
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Well, what can I say about his hotel, the location is beautiful but you definately need a car to explore. I dare say that the tv programme has helped in the number of visitors now booking to go to here. The food was good, service good, rooms could do with some updating and better cleaning, I don't have a dog but the hotel does advertise that it is a dog friendly place. The staff that we met were friendly and polite but some were hard to understand, wish I understood Polish or Romanian!

I think the owner of the place summed it up with the line 'we cater to mondeo man' and that is exactly what it does, no frills, the one thing I do object to which was also said in the programme that the British are lazy etc, do not judge all of us - the reason why eastern europeans are employed is because they will work unsocial hours for a pittance and will put up with a lot!! Lets hope the ones that work here will stay in Britain.

2  Thank pookie57
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Me,my friend and little daughter called into the hotel for a drink and to look around having watched the programme.The staff were very friendly,communal areas very clean and a big thankyou to Wayne for taking time out to spend some time chatting to us.Will definately be returning for stay.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank suemac15
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I planned a weekend away with my hubby for our wedding anniversary. I did watch a few episodes of the channel 4 programme but decided to form my own opinion. We were pleasantly surprised. I am so glad I didn't cancel. We had a great time. My advice - IGNORE the tv programme and go see for yourself. We didn't have great weather but that's the Lakes for you!
Keep up the good work Wayne, Kirk and Co, you're doing a brilliant job!
The Robbos from West yorkshire