“'There's lovely'”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crosthwaite
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“'There's lovely'”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Stayed the week before Channel4s programme went live. First episode was a true reflection of the hotel. Lovely staff, and Wayne every bit as funny as the programme potrayed. We had a very comfortable stay. Afternoon tea on arrival - scones, cake etc. Food good value for the price paid. Menu could be a little more imaginative. Pool and spa facilities a real asset

2 Thank buscomsys
newbybridge, Public Relations Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Lovely review. We appreciate your comments and are happy to hear you are watching and enjoying the programme.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Calne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2011

A mixed bag really. On arrival our initial thoughts were that the frontage and entrances were a bit untidy and in need of some TLC. Our room was very clean but for the price I feel it was lacking in many areas. Plenty of hot water but the shower was only luke warm. One of the cupboards in the bedroom had a piece of trim missing from the door exposing several sharp nails. A couple of holes in the panelling in the bathroom and badly stained curtains in the bedroom, I could go on. Most dissapointing was the fact that we had chosen the hotel partly because it offered the chance for my wife to have some pampering treatments in the hotel Spa and discovered on arrival that the therapist had left and no treatments were available. Apart from a couple of errors by the waiting staff we were very impressed with the breakfast service but the standard of food at dinner was less than average. The staff were very friendly and helpful and despite some difficulties with communication I have to say that the foreign staff were keen and efficient.

2 Thank jimclarejcb
We are sorry to receive a mixed review. We take all feedback from guests on board and are continuously working to improve our standards around the hotel. Maintenance issues will be addressed. Our therapist has relocated out of the area and we are in the process of seeking an appropriate replacement.
north yorkshire
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Me and my partner stayed here on the Travelzoo offer from Wednesday to Friday, We were allocated a four poster room with jacuzzi bath. When we arrived the reception staff were very nice and polite, told us where everything was. When we arrived in the room our first impressions were "OK". The room(3) was a little on the small size however quite quaint nevertheless. There was plenty wardrobe and draw space for all of our belongings and there was even a flat screen TV on the wall, although the signal wasnt that good. While we were here we were lucky enough to have really nice weather so I don't know what the signal would be like when it was raining etc. We then went downstairs for afternoon tea which was set up in a lounge area for all the guests to help themselves. It was very nice and the scones were lovely. We went to try out the pool. It was nice and an ok size (10m). We were always the only ones in there most of the time. The sauna, steamroom, and jacuzzi were all very nice aswell. When we had our 3 course evening meal this impressed me the most. The service was more than 3 star, we were given bread and water on the table, seats pulled out for us etc. and it was extremely fast service. For starters there was none I liked so I asked if they had a melon starter which they prepared especially for me! I had the sirloin steak for main with a peppercorn sauce and it was really really nice! There was only one rose wine on the menu but it was the best I have ever tasted! I want to buy some! (Sandhill Crane) The staff and waiters were all VERY good. When we went back to the room I got in bed and was greeted by the BIGGEST spider ever! I was scared to go to bed all of my trip! The hotel is about a 5/10 minute drive from Boweness which I recommend. It is a really nice town and has a gorgeous restaurant at the top of the hill. On both nights we had a drink in the bar, it was really nice and quiet and sort of looked like a pub! One afternoon we had a wander around the grounds. Some areas looked like they needed touching up and when you get close to their lake/pond it looks like a swap! It wasnt very well kept. At first I thought our room was very clean but then I found lots of cobwebs in the bathroom. I was put off a bit by the decor but I don't think it needs refurbishing as it is all in good condition i.e. carpets. I would recommend this hotel to probably older couples and I am really pleased for what I got for the price but would probably not come again, just down to the fact that I didnt like the decor.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
newbybridge, Front Office Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
What an amazing review, thank you! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and exploring the area. I will ensure all your comments are passed on to all our staff and we will continue working to meet and hopefully exceed our guests expectations. We hope you will visit again and that the spider will have moved on to another area of interest.
wigan
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Recently stayed at the Damson Dene Hotel and really enjoyed ourselves. The reception staff were very courtious and when we arrived we were given Tea and Scones with cream and jam which were delicious.The food in the restaurant was very well presented and cooked to perfection. We had breakfast on two days and evening meal on one night.
The second night we ate at a pub just down the road from Damson Dene hotel which I can highly recommend It was called the Hare and Hounds and the food there was fantastic.All in all a very enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely view. We are happy you enjoyed the hotel and surrounding areas. We hope you will visit again!
Cheshire
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I stayed at the Damson Dene with my husband for two nights.I can only say what a pleasure it was the staff were nice we were greeted with afternoon tea.The pool was good the spa also.When we arrived the room was not as good as I had expected but a quick word with a very nice receptionist sorted this, after this everything was perfect.The evening meal I had tuna fish cake for starters followed by the Pork then for desert the Raspberry one. Breakfast was just as good, I cannot fault this hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jugime
newbybridge, Public Relations Manager at Damson Dene Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
What a fantastic review you have written for us, I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Hotel. We hope that you decide to stay with us again on your next visit to the Lake District.
Reviewed April 9, 2011

We booked two nights in april 2011 for a family room online. As a 'dog friendly hotel' we had our dog along too. On arrival we were told that we couldn't have the room we booked as we had the dog although there was no mention of this when booking online, so we had to take a smaller room.
Some of the guest were still waiting for there rooms to be ready when we arrived at 1530, although normal check in is supposed to be 1500.
The staff were generally nice and friendly although as none of them were locals we couldn't ask about walks etc as they didn't know, and their English was poor.
The bar is expensive at £5.65 for a large glass of White wine.
The restaurant was nice with big windows and views over the countryside. The food was superb, they have got this bit right!
The hotel is very dated and in need of a makeover.

• Stayed April 2011
We are pleased to hear the food was superb and will ensure the kitchen staff are aware of the great comment. With regard to your other comments, we take these on board and will be looking into the various areas of service mentioned to improve future experiences.
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Like a lot of others we booked a special rate 2 night stay through Travelzoo. I had been very apprehensive after reading some of the reviews, but need not have been! We arrived in the late afternoon to a friendly greeting and efficient check in. Afternoon tea was set out in the very cosy lounge and, after dropping off our cases in our room we relaxed with scones, lemon drizzle cake and an excellent cup of coffee.

Our room (No. 9) was pleasantly decorated, spotlessly clean, and a good size with a lovely bathroom and walk-in wardrobe. It overlooked a flat roof, which was a bit of an eye sore with cigarette stumps and some rolls of wire netting left lying about. However, looking past that we had a nice outlook onto fields of sheep!

The four poster bed, although of a good size, was extremely uncomfortable! The mattress had springs sticking up and made a lot of noise when turning over. The next morning I asked reception if we could have an extra duvet so that we could use one to pad the mattress. I think something was lost in translation as we were given an extra duvet cover only! Although the next night's sleep was rather more comfortable, it was a little chilly in the middle of the night with just the cover over us!!

In conclusion - we had a most enjoyable stay. We found the staff to be very friendly and extremely efficient. The food was excellent (the first night's dinner was included in our special tariff and we enjoyed it so much we booked again for our second night). The outlook from the bar and the restaurant is absolutely beautiful and we were lucky enough to have fantastic weather so it was a pleasure to look out onto such a pleasant view.

We did not use the leisure facilities so cannot comment on these.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review. I am sorry that you found the mattress to be uncomfortable; I have ordered a new one to replace it with. We hope that you will come and stay with us again, keep checking our website for special offers!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crosthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Lakeside Hotel
Lakeside Hotel
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge

Been to Damson Dene Hotel? Share your experiences!