“Ideal for Sunday lunch”

The Punch Bowl Inn & Restaurant
Cuisines: European, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lancashire
“Ideal for Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

The restaurant is in a most attractive valley which is famous for its damsons. The restaurant itself is comfortable and the tables are well spaced out. A good choice of beers and wines. Prices are reasonable, and the food is freshly cooked and very well presented. Service is friendly, though it takes some time for the order to appear if the restaurant is busy. For instance we waited 45 minutes for our first course, but this did not matter since we were in no hurry. An ideal place to relax, though if you have limited time the Sunday on which we went would not have been ideal.That said the food was freshly cooked. I would certainly go again, though this would be mid-week when the restaurant is hopefully less busy.

• Visited February 2014

Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
“Lovely birthday lunch in a really nice setting.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went to the Punch Bowl as a group of six for my birthday lunch. I had never been before, but after reading the reviews, choose it for its reputation. What I found was a lovely, relaxed, country pub, serving tasty food. I went with my grandparents, and was worried that it might be too 'posh' for them, but even they enjoyed it, and I found that the lunch menu had something to suit everyone. Even on a very rainy Friday, the pub was warm and cosy inside. Would definately go back, and the candle on the fudge at the end of the meal was a lovely touch.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Truly Memorable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Called for lunch whilst out in the lakes. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and it was not a problem that we had not booked and only wanted a light lunch. We sat in the room off the bar which was warm, cosy and intimate. The food was fantastic and truly memorable. Will definitely be going back for the full monty!

Barrow-in-furness, United Kingdom
“What no roast? ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Arrived on Sunday for a birthday lunch to be told that there is no roast beef left. Shame on you punch Bowl.

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Rather surprised by the mixed review regarding this pub/restaurant.

My partner and I decided to try the punch bowl as it was recommended to us by the owners of the cottage in which we were staying in cartmel. We visited on Sunday 12th January. When we entered the bar, there was a large group in that were relatively lively and so we were asked if we would like to be seated more in the bar area. This area was lovely and quiet with a big roaring fire and comfy sofas.

The menu was nice and seasonal with a good selection. I had a started of scallop with white chocolate and truffle risotto. The scallops were cooked perfectly and although i'm not much of a fish/seafood person, this has to be one of the best dishes that I had ever eaten, very tasty. My partner had the tartare for starters and this was equally as nice.

For main, I had the salmon with pak choi and tarka dhal. Again, the salmon was cooked perfectly. The highlight was the cauliflower croquette things that were on the plate. Surprisingly, the tarka dhal actually went really well with the salmon. My partner had the shin of beef, which was beautifully cooked and was so tender you could mash it with a fork!

All our food was served hot and was very well presented without being overly pretentious. The staff were friendly and welcoming and there was also a good wine selection.

We have eaten in several michelin star restaurants and I would not have found our dishes out of place in any of those establishments. We will definitely be going back when we are next up in cumbria.