We stayed at the Stanley again during our move from Staffordshire to Seascale. We were disappointed that they didn't have a room for all 5 nights we needed which meant we had to decamp again to another B&B. However, it was great to be back and Clive and Mel welcomed us like family (as they do with everyone). We had two nights of excellent meals and puddings. The puds are are generous portions and I know I will feel stuffed but I have to have one anyway! The chicken stir fry would have easily graced the table of any good chinese restaurant (and in fact was better than some meals I've had in good chinese restaurants). Clive had just had a fly by inspection from the food standards officers at Copeland council and has been recommended for a 5 star cleanliness award, which he was right to be proud of.
We had the room with the 'priesthole' to the bathroom which I'm pleased to say neither Robin nor I banged our head on this time. So no swearing this visit. It's a comfortable large room with plenty of space for the dogs, which is why we like it. The Stanley is a comfortable and homely place to stay and if you have dogs it's nice to feel like you don't have to tread on eggshells every time you walk through the front door. Also dogs are allowed in the bar and Clive has dog biscuits ready for those who are well behaved.
Good things about the Stanley
1. Excellent hosts and welcome
3. Comfortable Dog friendly rooms
4. Good dog walk down the riverside for a night time short stroll
6. Clive's sense of humour
8. Nice big dog friendly bar
9. Beer garden on the riverside (for when it's warm!)
10. Often quiet and available at weekends
Things we'd like to see here:
1. Decaf coffee in the bedroom
2. Complimentary biccies
3. Some complimentary small shower gel / shampoo
4. More options for a proper continental breakfast (cheese/ham/bread rolls/criossants)
5. When 2 people stay, remembering to put out 2 towels!
Now we are close by I expect we will be in the bar often.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Small family run Hotel serving home cooked food, real chips, real ales and probably the best river fronted beer garden in Cumbria. All rooms are en-suite with TV/DVD/CD players. Situated within the National Park. ... more less