“Lovely hotel out of the way, not sure about the staff...”

Sella Park Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Calder Bridge
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were staying at this hotel for a night whilst travelling around the Lake District. Although not in the Lake District per se, you can get there in less than 15 minutes, and probably pay less as a result too.

I thought the rooms were very nice, spacious and pretty. The bathroom was also very large and quite nice to look at, something you don't normally get with bathrooms! I did find it odd that the steps from the shower were carpeted, especially considering the fact that the rest of the bathroom was tiled.

We went for a walk around the grounds which was lovely; you can get right down to the river behind the hotel and it's very peaceful. It was always quiet during our stay, despite the fact that there were many other people staying there.

The one thing that riled us a bit was the restaurant. When we checked in that afternoon, only three hours previously, we were shown a door to the dining room. So that evening we walked in through the dining room door, waited a bit whilst servers and diners stared at us, then sat down a bit awkwardly. It took absolutely ages for anyone to come up to us, and we kept getting weird looks. We were eventually asked if we had a reservation (didn't think we'd need one), and they went to check and said they could "just about fit us in". At this point I'll just say that at no point in the evening were the tables completely occupied.

After a while it seemed to become apparent that the "done" thing was to go to the adjacent bar, place your order, and wait there for it to be ready and then be sat in the restaurant. We would have been happy to do this, had we known this was the case. It left myself and my companion feeling a bit awkward, and we did feel that the staff weren't quite as polite to us as they were to other staff.

The food however was very tasty and well presented, at excellent value. Do note that they give you a free pre-appetiser which I hadn't known about, otherwise I wouldn't have ordered a starter; it left me very full! Particularly good was the pork main which came with no less than 6 different kinds of pork product, which my companion liked an awful lot! I would also highly rate my honey mallard.

The next morning we ate breakfast in the hotel which was included in the price. We had the same waitress as the previous night, and again felt she wasn't as polite to us. This time it was to the point where she didn't offer us any toast, or indeed bring us any. Through listening to her interact with the other diners in the room during our meal, she asked every other group, and brought them toast. I'm not sure if this was an oversight, or if she thought we were trying to be cheeky the night before, but I didn't particularly appreciate it.

Overall though, this was a very good hotel at a decent price, and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sella Park Country House Hotel

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have just stayed at the Sella Park Hotel this weekend. We had a lovely time, room was great, really big and the bathroom was huge and very modern. Nice fresh coffee in the room as well as the usual teas. Food was great ( scrambled eggs and salmon for breakfast was wonderful !!! ). All staff were lovely and friendly. We would definitely stay again and would recommend to friends looking for a peaceful, relaxing break. Thanks again for a lovely stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Our room was very nice, clean and tidy. The room was well equipped with everything you needed, it had wifi. The bathroom was pretty big with a good shower and the rest of the room was on 2 levels with the bedroom and a little living area. We stayed in the Lowswater room (I think!) Food was ok and the guy on reception was friendly. We did get locked out when we came back late one evening as the key wouldn't work to open the door!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed for one evening, and found the room pleasant and clean with a nice bathroom. Comfortable bed , and nice peaceful and quiet. This was booked for me as a gift and on the basis of the reviews regarding the food. We were not disappointed. It was divine. Presented well with good sevice. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Breakfast was also very good.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a lovely weekend at this hotel finding the staff extremely friendly and helpful. We were travelling with our dog and every member of staff were dog lovers - bliss for him. Our room was beautifully decorated and well equipped and our en-suite bathroom extremely spacious. The hotel was very quiet with large gardens and extremely clean.
We ate in the bar both evenings with a table reserved for us by the window and found the specials board very interesting with local produce being offered.
We were able to explore an area of Cumbria we had not seen before - without the milling crowds! Nearby Wasdale is stunning and the lake great for doggy swimming.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

On my visit to the lakes my wife and I decided to visit Sella Park for an evening meal.
The restaurant was a nice and quiet place although i wish i could say the same about the food and some of the staff. I had a seafood starter and this was certainly not to my liking, it did NOT taste as it should and did not smell pleasant. it was very clearly not in date, and we weren't the only people in the restaurant who shared that experience, for the prices and the 4 star rating it has been awarded this is far from acceptable.
My other major concern with this restaurant was a member of the kitchen staff, the language coming from the chef, or one of the chefs, can only be described as unprofessional and downright disgusting, overhearing the that kind of language is not something i, or anyone else in the restaurant, would wish to listen to whilst eating our meals. Someone with that attitude and behaviour should NOT be in the public sector, i'm only glad i did not have my children with me on this occasion.
This is a place i will steer well clear of in the future as this was far from a pleasant experience.

1  Thank 324anonymous
craig l, Manager at Sella Park Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your recent visit to the Sella Park House Hotel. As you can see from this site and our numerous awards and accollades, we take the satisfaction of our customers very seriously and we work hard to ensure all of our guests have a memorable time with us.

I have spoken at length to our head chef and he did conceed that there was a mistake on our part and we "got it wrong!"

I do question some of your other comments- you were the only people in the restaurant to order that dish and as soon as you expressed your unhappiness with the dish, we removed it from the menu.

The duty managers, chefs, waitress nor anyone else can recall any bad language, if there was; then of course we apologise and we will remind our excellent team regarding their conduct.

I do hope that our reply helps to answer your concerns and we hope you take the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just visited for dinner on friend's recommendation - didn't stay. Have to say up front that the food was stunningly good, but things did not get off to a great start. On taking seats in the slightly tired-looking bar, my female companions each ordered a dry sherry. The young bar-person promptly delivered two sweet sherries and when challenged, offered the explanation that she was "not very up on sherry"! She then returned to take our order and I asked for an explanation of one of the dishes. Asked about 'Canon of Lamb', she first attempted to blag a description, saying that "it was lamb cut up into small pieces', before abandoning the attempt by saying, 'Actually, I'm not very up on lamb"! Such a lack of training is entirely a management failing, in my view. Furthermore, any attempt by the management to create an atmosphere of exclusivity is not assisted by being asked if we were on the 'local newspaper's cheap meal deal'. On the other hand, the restaurant staff could not have been more helpful - they even produced gluten-free bread for one of our party. A good selection of interesting dishes made for a very pleasant dining experience. Atmosphere was a bit lacking for a Saturday night . The place is a bit out of the way, but by the time we finished our meal around 10pm, we were the only people in the restaurant - think there were only three other tables occupied.

Would we go back? Probably, but only to enjoy the expertise of the chef, for which the front-of-house irritations are just about worth bearing.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Ennerdale Country House Hotel
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Sella Park Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!