Sella Park Country House Hotel
$351
  • Breakfast included
$93
$79
Ennerdale Country House Hotel(Cleator)(Great Value!)
$56
Seacote Hotel(St. Bees)
$70
The Pennington(Ravenglass)
$111
Stanley Arms Hotel(Calder Bridge)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
All reviewswest cumbriabusiness tripseparate buildingsmoked haddocklarge bathroomsea basslovely hotelrecommend this hotelan evening mealcouldn't do enoughafternoon teathe main housedouble roomfollowing morninglounge arealovely foodlittle gem
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel seems to be poorly run. Correspondence when booking had confirmed a twin room and the hotel had written back stating clearly that a twin room had been booked. On arrival discovered that we had been given a double room and the hotel was full. After demonstrating to the staff what had been booked by bringing the exchange of correspondence up on the reception computer there was about a 20 minute delay whilst a different room was "rejigged" to provide a twin room. The room itself was pleasant and the hotel has an atmospheric historical feel to it. However worse was to come! Breakfast has a very minimal 'help yourself' component and the main part is by ordering a cooked breakfast and the menu provided a good choice. However the waitress advised that the haddock on the menu was not available and they had no eggs! We arrived for breakfast over an hour before the breakfast period was due to finish and there was only one other couple present so it was not as if there had been high demand. It was simply a case of not having provisioned the kitchen properly. Since all the menu choices involved eggs except porridge we were forced to order porridge. Disappointing because the hotel and grounds are attractive and with better service this could have been a good stay. I would also mention that there was a repetitive industrial noise through the night that I assume emanated from the Sellafield Power Station that is very close to the hotel and sleep was disturbed as a result of this.

Room Tip: The room allocated was in an annexe about 20 yards from the main building. These are modern rooms. If you want to stay in the main building which has a lot of interesting history you will need to ask for those rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PaulBerni
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry about your recent experience at the Sella park House Hotel. I have conducted a thorough investigation and I can confirm that the housekeeping overlooked your request for a twin room.

It also appears that we did have a problem with a delivery an although it is not good enough, we did run out of eggs at Breakfast time.

This is not our usual standard and our previous reviews and our tripadvisor certifiacte of excellence demonstrate that this is not how the hotel usually operates.

I am disappointed that you describe the hotel has a shambles, I conceed that there were some basic errors committed but we did have you in the correct room within 15 minutes and although the eggs were a major mis-hap I feel the word shambles is a little harsh on our fabulous team.

Regards

Craig Lowery
Group general Manager

Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed in hotel for a wedding. Room was on the top floor at the back. Very large room with beams in the ceiling and a very large bathroom with beams. The bathroom could have done with a towel rail as there was plenty of room for one, and perhaps a handgrab to enable a guest to get into the bath/shower as there was no room to manoevre with a fixed shower door over bath. i am only in my 60's but found it difficult to get into and out of the bath/shower. The facilities included a trouser press, ironing board and iron and a hairdryer - one fault with dryer was only socket in bedroom wouldn't allow you to reach looking in the mirror.
As I said we were on the top floor and there is no lift being a very old house, and lots of ground floor rooms on different levels, and no ramps that I saw, definitely not for the disabled!
Breakfast was well cooked with plenty of variety in an wood panelled room, staff were friendly and helpful. Lovely setting until you look out of the top floor window and see Sellafield towers.

Room Tip: not on top floor unless you are fit
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed one night here for a weekend break at the Lake District. There were four of us, all in our twenties. My friend and his girlfriend stayed in the room on the top floor, their room had a low ceiling but was full of character. The room I stayed in with my girlfriend had high ceilings and made it look especially spacious. The beddings were clean, and the bed was very big and comfy. The biggest I've ever slept on. All rooms have free WiFi. However, the cell phone signal on my Vodafone was intermittent, even when it had connection, it was 2G. I had to contact my friend with text messages. The breakfast was excellent quality, my girlfriend said it was the first time she saw jams provided in small glass jars at a hotel rather than plastic capsules. The jams were Wilkin & Sons, my girlfriend told me they are normally top end jams in the supermarket.
Overall, for the price we paid (£70 for a double room), it was definitely value for money!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor has low ceiling space, and naked beam, but they are very well decorated. The rooms below have very high ceilings, but not so much character.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Stayed Friday night - helpful staff, good sized room (11) with charm and character. Nice additional touches, good quality refreshments - bathroom roomy and well appointed. Really comfortable bed, some background noise from adjacent room but ok. Breakfast excellent and cooked to order with locally sourced produce. Will return again if in area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We found this hotel to be very relaxing and the staff friendly and helpfull. Only stayed one night, but plan to return for a longer trip when time permits.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple