“Our 1st yurt camp - definately not the last!”
Review of Yurtcamp Devon

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Liverton
Yurtcamp Devon
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a fantastic 3 nights, staying with 3 children ages 8-10. The site itself is so large, we spent a very relaxed day not even leaving the site. The children loved exploring the woods, the woodland slide, zip wire and the games barn. Even although the weather was really cold - hard frosts overnight, we stayed snug and warm with the log burner. Be prepared to split your own logs - luckily my hubby loves chopping logs and stoking fires...we even had to open the windows at one point. Our secluded yurt had it's own little valley with a picnic table and fire pit which was lovely and private.
On the whole a near perfect visit, the only down side was the proximity to the A38, although the traffic hum was no more than mentioned on the website - it does take a away a bit from that 'away from it all' feeling. Also the slope to our Yurt was exessively muddy- we came with wellies but it was also very slippy. The yurt itself was very well equipped and comfortable - some more lamps/ candles and rugs to keep out the drafts between the boards would make it 5 star but I guess it is essentially camping - oh and heating in the shower / toilet block would make keeping clean more appealing!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Daaaavid, Owner at Yurtcamp Devon, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you very much for your much valued review. We are sorry that the path to the upper secluded woodland yurts was very muddy. This is not a problem that we have had before, but due to the excessive amounts of rainfall experienced, it certainly became a problem this year! We have recently reworked the drainage to the path which we are confident will solve the problem.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Yurtcamp!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I have just returned from an amazing weekend stay at Yurtcamp. Throughout booking our stay David was extremely helpful and relaxed over waiting for full payment due to our lost bank card!

On arrival we were greeted by David who was very cheerful and welcoming. He showed us around the camp and the facilities.

We stayed in the secluded yurt, which definitely had the wow factor! Inside the yurt looked beautiful and had all of the essentials, it was also extremely cleaned and well-maintained. As other reviews have stated- yes you do have to make your own bed.....5 minutes of effort is a little price to pay for a very comfortable, clean bed- think these people were expecting a 5* Hilton Hotel rather than a yurt!!

The log burner was very easy to start and the heat was amazing- even in early February at minus degrees with snow outside, we were toasty warm (no need for the extra blankets and duvets we brought with us!) The wood shed had more than enough logs and kindling (if you chopped it up that way).

The service was brilliant, yet not intrusive. We had to call David one night as our lantern was faulty, he met us with a replacement lantern immediately. Similarly, late one night we fancied another bottle of wine, phoned Zoe who promptly met us with 2 bottles!

We had a fantastic time cooking over the open fire, chopping and collecting our own fire wood and exploring the surrounding woodland. To top it all off we got engaged on the Saturday evening....what a perfect setting.

If you are the type of person who loves the great outdoors and having an element of adventure to your holiday than we highly recommend Yurtcamp. On the other hand if you cannot start fires, don't enjoy getting muddy and expect to be waited on by a silver-service- perhaps you should reconsider whether camping is for you!!

Thank you David and Zoe, for a lovely stay. We have already recommended a yurt holiday to all of our friends!

Clare and David (Yurt 18)

Room Tip: If you enjoy being out of the way and don't mind a very short walk to the main camp, the seclude...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your much valued feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at this camp for a (otherwise fantastic) wedding. Although I had a great time, the place was very disappointing per se.

I have to admit I am not an enthusiastic or experienced camper, so although my experience of the place itself was quite one-star, I am giving it a second star for the benefit of the doubt.

On arrival we were met rather unenthusiastically, given a map of the place and a skeptical look at our sub-par torches and wheelie luggage. The area is unlit so if you arrive after dark you have to traipse blindly in the mud pulling your suitcase, until you find your assigned tent. These are beautiful, spacious and very tastefully furnished but for some unfathomable reason they expect you to make your own bed on arrival - in the dark. Maybe for some it's a regenerating experience.

Don't even think of getting up for a wee in the middle of the night, as the toilets are all in the main area of the camp and a long way away from your tent. They are however reasonably clean and the showers were consistently hot, if a tad public.

The camp contains a cafe. It was almost bizarrely bad - as if it was trying hard to disappoint. The fried-up breakfast was cooked the night before (think rubber eggs. dried-up bacon). On arrival they served meat pies that for some reason were fridge-cold - when I asked if I could get them heated up in the microwave, I was met with puzzled stares, so we had to munch through the congealed fat. On the other hand they served some lovely local beer, which added to our puzzlement - they obviously weren't just being careless.

But one could put up with all this to be in the middle of nature, right? Well, yes, except what the literature does not mention is that the camp is located not far from a dual carriageway. Although you can't see it, you can most definitely hear it, also because the yurts are obviously not soundproofed. The roar of traffic was so loud that I could distinguish the type of engine of the cars driving past.

If the beauty of camping for you is queueing to use the toilet, then you might appreciate this place, but for me, it had all of the defects of camping with none of the charm. The party was perfect but I would not recommend the place at all.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Diegodelizia
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We had a fabulous few nights at yurt camp and can't praise it enough! The yurt itself was so lovely and had everything you needed. When the log burner was lit it was so cosy. The cafe was fantastic! Loved it!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I got married here recently. Whilst I don't regret our choice of location AS SUCH, I think had I known 18 months ago what I know now, I wouldn't have parted with the amount of money this place cost, we would've saved our pennies and gone elsewhere.
Every other supplier we worked with in the lead up to our wedding were absolutely delightful, and a pleasure to work with (florist, dressmaker, the people who made our rings, etc), Zoe on the other hand was a total pain, i would actually go as far as to say that she ruined a big chunk of my wedding.
This woman makes promises in every other sentence that she has no intention of delivering, doesn't communicate to the relevant people, and then conveniently forgets about by the next time you speak to her.
The wedding receptions are held in a big teepee, when we went to view the location the teepee was filthy, and with all the sides down seemed very small considering Zoe had told us you could fit up to 120 people in there for a sit-down meal. However she assured us that the teepee would've been cleaned by then and they open all the sides up for wedding receptions so it's substantially bigger and open.
We agreed to pay around £2500 to hire out the site for our wedding. (This price is JUST to hire out the site, and nothing else.)
It was then that the trouble started.
We paid for the site in 4 installments over the year, every time we asked for things like receipts etc it was like trying to get blood out of a stone. We phoned with legitimate queries throughout the wedding planning process which we had to chase her for answers to EVERY time (if Zoe ever says "I'll get back to you", give it up for lost and call her back the next day, she is not getting back to you.) At one point her unhelpfulness got SO bad that my mother-in-law had to ask her if we were going to have to pull out of the wedding and go elsewhere (at this point we were prepared to lose half the balance, £200-odd that we'd paid in invitations with the location on, and the registrar's fee for changing location, we're NOT flush, by any means), in response she was treated to some sob-story about how Zoe was having marital problems and how running a business was too hard for her etc etc, COMPLETELY unprofessional!
We asked if we could run our own bar, to save our guests (and us) a bit of money, we were met with "No, we need to make money on the bar, you wouldn't have your wedding reception in a pub and ask to bring your own bar!" No Zoe.. I also wouldn't pay a pub £2500 for the privilege...
She seems unable to communicate with Paul the caterer, despite the fact that he works about 60 feet from her office.
Skip forward to the day before the wedding, My maid of honour and I turn up to dress the site up a bit (add all our table dressings, vases etc) to find that nobody's finished putting the tables out (they appeared to have got about half way there, and then just got bored and gone off somewhere!) We call Zoe to tell her there's not enough tables been put out (she knew our final numbers in advance), she turns up some time later and drags my maid of honour into helping her shift tables around etc (I've not paid £2500 to start carting around her furniture because her staff can't be bothered to finish a job). We told her there was a seat missing from the top table; we arrived at about 11am, I told her as soon as we got there, I was STILL chasing this up at about 5-6 in the evening! (The phrase "WHERE is Zoe!?" became everyone's theme over the next 2 days..)
Everything I brought up or questioned or requested was met with an argument or an excuse, everything that was wrong or wasn't ready for us was somebody elses fault, I swear this woman can say about a thousand words a minute (mostly 'er' and 'um'..) whilst simultaneously telling you NOTHING at all.
Our guests started to arrive, having put the postcode given for the site into their satnavs, it turns out that DOESN'T work, takes you to a stretch of motorway near Trago, EVERYONE got lost (most of our friends and family were coming from REALLY far away, all of them had been driving between 3 and 8 hours to get there) and there aren't enough signposts to the site to compensate for this.
One of the first people who turned up came to me and said "Er.. Sorry to bring this up but.. there's no sheets on the bed..", my heart fell into my stomach when I realised they were right, and my wedding guests were going to have to turn up on the morning of my wedding, from London, Dover, Norfolk, Chorley, Cardiff, Brighton and Huddersfield, and have to start making beds for themselves and their children (most of them were going to be hard pushed to make the wedding venue in time for our 2pm wedding, without having to do housekeeping on arrival!), I would've gone from yurt to yurt and made the beds myself that evening, but by the time I found out I had to go home, finally eat something and get my nails done, I just didn't have time.
Bear in mind, that my guests were paying £90 a head to stay in a yurt on a site which I'd already paid for exclusive hire of (it's not like she could've rented them out to anyone else), luckily half of our guests decided to stay in the Premier Inn by Nabbot race course (apparently it was very comfortable).
The wedding ceremony went off without a hitch, the weather was lovely and everything looked beautiful.
Skip ahead to the wedding reception... The teepee is still proper grubby, the sides have not been opened. We manage to squeeze everybody in, but then.. oh yes.. everybody has to get out again to get food, and then get the food back in. It was a complete disaster. Even without the added fact that I'm very claustrophobic and spent my entire wedding breakfast trying not to cry or be sick. When my husband and his best man went to find Zoe and say "Oi, you haven't opened the teepee, as promised." all they got was "Oh.. The people who do that aren't here today." ..... ....... *rips hair out in frustration* The best man took it upon himself to unzip the side doors of the teepee, which helped but didn't make a huge amount of difference.
People couldn't get out of there quickly enough, a fair few of our guests missed the speeches or chose to eat outside the teepee because they were just SO uncomfortable. My seating plan all went to pot because people around the edges had to swap seats with shorter people. Just to add some perspective - Zoe told us she could seat up to 120 guests.. We had less than 70.
Once we'd cut our cake the maid of honour asked Zoe if she could take it to be cut. to which she got a proper huffy bag of attitude and "Well COME on and help me then, I'M not going to do it on my own!" Er.... right... so get some of your catering staff to help you and don't talk to my wedding guests like they're something you've stepped in please!
The toilet roll in the shower block had run out in most of the toilets by 8pm.
There's no outside heating of any kind in the wedding reception area, so once the sun went down pretty much all our guests went off to bed (at about 7-8pm). No heaters, no chimineas, nowhere to build a campfire up that end of the site. They could REALLY do with something. We were lucky in the day weather-wise, but in the evening it was COOOOOOOOOOOLD!
Speaking of which, nobody could figure out the wood burners. The instructions in the book go on about 'turning a dampner' or something, I haven't a clue what a dampner was, apparently neither did any of my guests, there was no diagram. Although it wouldn't have made a huge difference, because all the wood was damp anyway. We ended up trying to extract a tiny bit of warmth from burning all the envelopes from our wedding cards! ("You'll need newspaper or kindling to start your fire" Of which you've provided neither.. Thanks instruction manual, and thank you Yurt Camp..) Our instructions for the oil lamp weren't relevant to the oil lamp in our yurt (they were for a different make, I compared ours to a friends the next day) so we spent our wedding night freezing cold in the dark!
At no point did Zoe find us before we left and thank us, ask how the day had gone, make sure we were happy.
The ONLY person at Yurt Camp who seems to know their [--] from their elbow is Paul the caterer. He was polite, pleasant, professional, he was there first thing in the morning on Saturday, cooking our guests breakfast, ALL day getting our hog roast ready, all evening on the bar and in the kitchen, and then was back again at the crack of dawn Sunday doing breakfast again! Nothing was too much trouble for him, and he at least had a crack at solving any problem we brought to him (which was all of them in the end, because Zoe was nowhere to be seen and is about as much use as a chocolate teapot anyway.)
The BEST piece of advice I could give to Yurt Camp would be for Zoe to step down from the weddings and hand responsibility of them over to Paul. I had a really unpleasant experience of planning my wedding, a priceless experience which I can never get back, and it was entirely down to her. If she wants to plan weddings then she needs to SERIOUSLY work on her customer service skills (and just people skills in general!) and really get an understanding of how weddings work and how to manage them, if she doesn't want to plan weddings then that's great, but make it VERY clear to people that the entire planning/setting up process is 100% down to them, and change your prices accordingly and don't think you get to have any say in what happens RE food, drinks, seating, storage or anything else!
It's a shame really, when we saw the site we thought "It'll be lovely to be able to come back here on anniversaries etc with our kids." We will never go back to yurt camp. Ever.
The site is visually lovely (between that and Paul's input is the only reason I voted this place 'average' instead of Terrible, and without Zoe it would've been Excellent.) so much so that the photos of our day make it look like it was the greatest and best experience in the world (and for want of being a hopeless romantic, I could've married my husband in an alleyway in Hackney and still had the best day of my life!) hopefully I'll be able to look back on them in years to come and the memory of all the rubbish stuff will fade. However despite the beautiful location and great food, I don't feel I could honestly recommend this place to anyone for something as important as a wedding. Unless you have heaps of money and want to to EVERYTHING but the food yourself.

I'm sorry this has been such a long review, I just had to get it all out for cathartic reasons as much as anything else! But yeah, use the £150 groupon voucher and go for a weekend maybe, but don't get married here, and don't pay the hideously over-inflated prices to come here in peak season.

I can also vouch for the person further down who said you get to the secluded yurts up a muddy hill. You DO get the the yurts up a steep muddy hill, I have the photos and the map which Zoe drew us to prove it (goodbye beautiful £115 Irregular Choice wedding shoes, I barely knew thee!) I think the fact that any negative review on here is met with a mouthful of haughty excuses and no apologies or attempt to make good speaks VOLUMES about the attitude at this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank SKitsune
Daaaavid, Owner at Yurtcamp Devon, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Our response to this review is very straightforward. It has been written by a lady who we strongly suspected well in advance would not enjoy her stay. This, and her frequent attempts to cut the price of almost everything is why some eight months prior to the date of her wedding we offered her a full refund, which she declined. And for the record -

The bar and all catering services are independently run by a very competent professional chef and caterer.

The tipi and table settings were set up as per the instructions received from the bride.

As with all weddings, we offered a large fire bowl, flaming torches, and a marquee heater, which were all declined.

We advise all guests that satellite navigation will not find us, and provide accurate directions.

We take a very serious approach to the smooth and successful running of Yurtcamp, particularly for an important event such as a wedding, a fact reflected in the normally very favourable feedback. However, well before, and during her stay this reviewer had a very negative attitude, and furthermore seemed to think that we should provide the full services of a wedding co-ordinator. Nonetheless, despite our best efforts, we accept that this reviewer was disappointed, for which we sincerely apologise, and we hope that in time she will be able to remember the many positive aspects of her wedding.

We might also add that compared to many wedding venues in Devon, we offer very good value for money.

We receive a lot of very positive feedback relating to weddings held at Yurtcamp (hardly any of which is posted on Trip Advisor), on Yurtcamp's Facebook page.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have just had a wonderful, wonderful weekend at the Yurt Camp with all of our friends and family staying on-site. Zoe and David made a huge effort to make our wedding special and we can whole-heartedly recommend their hospitality; they are a very safe pair of hands. Our wedding breakfast was done by Astridges the on-site caterers, and was superb. :)

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Lozzer55
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We went as a family with two small children, and I have to fully recommend it for any similar family. It's great to let the kids off the leash as the site is very secure and there are no inhibitions for the little 'uns to run around enjoying themselves instead of being constantly lambasted for wandering off.

The yurts themselves are nice and warm and the beds are comfy. The utensils could do with an upgrade/restock, but, hey, it's camping, not The Ritz.

The site itself is superbly situated and ideally placed for numerous fun excursions into Dartmoor, the South Devon Steam Railway and plenty of others.

My only slight gripes were the cafe, in which we had some nice breakfasts...but then asked for an extra three rounds of toast to finish off the butter and jam we'd got and was charged £6.00! I n general I thought the yurts, too, were slightly over-priced for what they were...but I won't let a few minor monetary quibbles ruin what I thought was a thoroughly enjoyable week! Recommended!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mwin1979

Been to Yurtcamp Devon? Share your experiences!