TripAdvisor
Budir
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews black church lava fields loft room northern lights stunning location fish lamb common areas snaefellsnes peninsula luxury hotel loved this hotel remote location magical place old church course dinner third floor bread
Selected filters
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We traveled to Iceland in early February and stayed here for two glorious nights. We arrived early and were given a choice of two rooms. We were given the advice that the room on the second floor would have the better view so that is what we took. It was great advice as we overlooked the sea and the mountains. The room was warm, nicely decorated in a very cosy and welcoming style, and the shower was hot and powerful (perfect after hours of hiking and scrambling over rocks). Once we settled into the room, we went had a couple of coffees to fuel us for a wander around the hotel. We were accompanied for part of our wander by Ngali, the sweet dog (later found curled up and warm by the fire when we returned). The area around the hotel is stunningly beautiful and we spent 4 glorious hours exploring and following the walking trails signposted from the church.

On arriving back at the hotel, we both showered and then headed downstairs for a drink near the bar. The staff was friendly and helped us decide which local beers to try. I received copious snuggles from our doggie friend whilst reading my book. We went in to a dinner that was absolutely fantastic! Our servers were knowledgable, personable, and really looked after us both nights we were there. The next morning, the breakfast was lovely and included Skyr, which was made in the hotel and was truly really tasty (much, much better than what you buy in little pots in the stores).

The staff was helpful with directions and suggestions of things to see (including things not in the guidebooks).

Two days later, we checked out and headed out to do more exploring of the area. I started feeling rather ill and we headed back to the hotel for a drink. The lovely gentleman at reception kindly fixed me a cup of tea free of charge and wished me a speedy recovery.

The food was exceptional. The room was very comfortable. However, what makes Hotel Budir exceptional is the warmness of the unique surroundings, the truly lovely nature of the people, and the cosy and comfortable feeling of the hotel. It is almost like being in someone's lovely welcoming home. A truly lovely escape and the most relaxing and lovely place in our 10 days in Iceland. Thank you!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dar619
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Arriving there was not easy at all, driving in icy, tremendously slippery roads...But the incredible beauty of the sorroundings and the solid, heartwarming comfort and kindness of the hotel, made it all worth the while. It's decades of welcoming cleanliness, silence and discrete elegance in a homely way. We loved it, in our tiny loft room with a view... And what a view: the church, just like a picture, and (at left) the sea, that huge and stony beach. It was comfy, silent and perfectly set for review in any moment, exactly the place you'd like to go once and again forever. We were so exhausted that we didn't awake when they called us for the northern lights. A big pity, because seeing them there must be beyond imagination... But note that they have -everynight in winter- a list of the northern-light-lovers to call in case they appear. Please don't miss them and don't miss this hotel, at least for one night.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank barcelonaconnection
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I just got back from Iceland. I stayed at 5 different hotels including Ion hotel, 101 Hotel and Blue Lagoon spa. Hands down Budir was my favorite. The location was mesmerizing. The ocean, the lava fields and grassy knolls were magical. As for the hotel itself, I definitely wouldn't call it a boutique hotel because that implies it's pretentious. It felt like I was visiting someone's weekend home that had an uber cool design aesthetic. I found the Budir to strike a perfect balance of being laid back & accommodating. The service was great. The food was best I had in Iceland. I'd go back in a heartbeat!- Liv, Stamford,Ct

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I had my wedding here. This hotel has a breath-taking location, surrounded by mountains, waterfalls, and the sea on the other side. There is a scenic black church behind the hotel, and a little shop with handmade, artisanal Icelandic products (ranging from sheep fur to dried flowers).

The interior looks like a trendy, speakeasy-themed cocktail lounge. There is a sitting area with floor-to-ceiling windows and a rooftop area that you can hang out in, and a seating area on the 2nd floor with a fireplace - plenty of space to hang out alone or in groups.

The food is also excellent.

Only area this hotel could improve is with the reception being more responsive. When planning our wedding, they sometimes did not answer all of our questions, and were some times hard to get a hold of. If you're planning your wedding here, if the hotel does not respond promptly - don't worry, they have hosted many parties before. Everything will be good and beautiful, just arrive and enjoy yourself.

Date of stay: September 2013
Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank KinParis
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is a great location for a destination wedding for folks with wanderlust. The location is spectacular, the hotel is comfortable, the food and service are top notch. We had a wonderful time, and the hotel itself contributed to our enjoyment. Budir...Iceland, in fact...is a photographers' paradise. The drive from Reykjavik is about 3 hours, and the scenery is wonderful.

Date of stay: September 2013