Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Reviewed 1 week ago
pollyoppy
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Such a beautiful beach!

We didn't visit the centre but only stopped to walk down to the beach, which was very beautiful... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
ChitchatCanada
Canada

All reviews low tide guided tour nova scotia fossil cliffs million years minute tour interpretive center unesco site gift shop tree trunks no idea walk along the beach sandwiches bring a jacket out of the way soup amazing place
Reviewed 1 week ago

We went down onto the beach with our guide who did a fantastic job of sharing his knowledge and enthusiasm for the beach and it's fossils. Really interesting.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We didn't visit the centre but only stopped to walk down to the beach, which was very beautiful!
What was most unique about this beach were the variety of coloured rocks here.
We unfortunately couldn't stay long bcs of time constraints but would highly recommend a visit....and plan ahead so you can wander this beach at leisure...and take in a tour beforehand.
It is definitely a one-of-a-kind beach.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The museum is nicely done. We did not take a tour since the beach looked awful rocky and the steps daunting. We got there about 40 min before closing and wished we'd had more time to read and observe the exhibits.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were there in the shoulder season (early October). Although our trip to Nova Scotia centered mostly around Halifax and Cabot Trail, when I heard about Joggins I knew we geeks just had to go! We planned ahead to arrive for the 11am half hour tour (plan ahead, folks - look at the tides and the tour times). You won't love the place if you don't take the tour, and/or the tide is in. Melissa was a great tour guide (she's the curator of paleontology); she was patient with all our questions and "what is this?" when we picked up fossils. The cafe is closed this time of year so you can eat in town or bring a lunch. We brought sandwiches along and sat at the picnic tables and looked out over the beautiful and fascinating cliffs (others were doing the same). Sooooo glad we came.

Reviewed October 7, 2018

I went here on a Thursday and took the half hour tour. Tour was great, I just wish it was longer, or that they had longer tour options available (there was only the half hour option available that day). The number of fossils was numerous, some were difficult to spot and taking the tour really helped piece that together. It is a nice park and is off the beaten path. I spent a good hour and a half wandering the beach after the tour and it was exciting to stumble across fossils on the beach. Would be a great place to take kids to explore, and adults seemed to like it too.

Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

26 September visit and the cafe is already closed. The exhibition space is okay but not extensive. The steps down to the beach are uneven, with some very high steps - very amateurish.

Unless this venue improves the offer to visitors it will never survive

Reviewed September 8, 2018

Fantastic 2 hour tour with a guide who was passionate and personable. Lots to learn and explore outside. The museum provided additional details and great visuals.

Reviewed September 4, 2018

We were visiting our son and granon July and they suggested this attraction as they had not visited it. Son done the driving and coped with the windy roads.

On arrival we found a modern building that blended with the surrounding countryside. There was good parking, exceptionally clean washroom facilities and a small, but nice cafe.

Son and grandson visited the museum, while we made our way down to the beach via a fairly steep paved walk way, with hand rails (we needed them!) and a couple a flights of poorly designed steep steps. But, boy the effort was worth it.

There were plenty of fossils on the beach and visible in the cliff face a bit put out that people were collecting these despite notices warning you not to - at the rate we saw them being picked up they will runout!

Staff were good, knowledgeable and friendly. Some were students and we understood that the Federal Government gives grants to enable museums and the like, to employ students during the summer. It was obvious that the ones at Jobbings were studying geology and similar subjects and were obviously pleased to show of their knowledge..

2  Thank VeryBusy
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

I booked this tour about one week in advance by phone. We arrived an hour before the tour and had an excellent, affordable lunch in their cafe on site. We spent less than 30 minutes in their museum. What really made this place great was the tour down the beach where we got to see, handle, and find plant fossils that were 300 million years old. We were given thorough explanations. My 10 year old and 12 year old were engaged as were we. It was a unique experience that was worth driving out for.

Reviewed August 30, 2018

My wife and I stopped here in August on our 2018 cross country road trip. The site has lots of parking, good washroom facilities, a gift shop and small restaurant. We found the road from Parrsboro to Joggings to be a bit twisty, even for my sports car but the road from Amherst is much better. We also went to the beach but found the steps to be poorly designed and awkward to use. I have a bad knee and must admit that I fell, which hurt my dignity and scratched my camera. The site seems to be aware of the stair issues and hopefully will address them soon. We did enjoy our stay and my wife picked up some nice souvenirs. We will probably return on our next trio to the area.