“lovely meal”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Goring, United Kingdom
“lovely meal”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We had a very enjoyable evening meal here with friends. The pave of venison was superb and the rest of the meal did not disappoint us. Thoroughly recommend - it's worth the drive!

• Visited December 2013

Marlow, United Kingdom
“Good bar menu”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Couldn't get into the restaurant but enjoyed a good meal in bar. Big portions, tasty flavours, garlic roasted new potatoes were particularly good. Worth the trip but book in advance.

Newbury, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointing”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Nice place full of character.

My wife had French onion soup which was absolutely fine. I had beetroot cured gravadlax which was awful. Very salty but my main gripe was the quality of the salmon which was full of sinews and very chewy, I spent plenty of time pulling strands of inedible fish out of my mouth. I told the waitress but got little reaction (and no apology).

Fortunately, he main course of venison, kale, roasted shallots and dauphinoise potatoes was really excellent. Nevertheless, there is no shortage of excellent places to eat in this area and I doubt that we will return.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Meal”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I have dined here at lunch time on many occasions, and they have never let us down (- in fact, I am amazed at any negative reviews!). Today, my wife had the set menu (which she said was brilliant), whilst I had the pidgeon (which was excellent), followed by the pave of venison, which was also excellent.
We have lunched at places that were probably twice the price, but in all honesty weren't as half as good, so am amazed at some of these reviews.
Ignore the "so-so" reviews - you will be extremely hard pushed to do better at the price! (and probably ignoring the price!).

“Ok but nothing special”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Visited the Pot Kiln twice recently, once for a bar meal and again to eat in the restaurant.

The bar food is very good in terms of quality, price and quantity and I would thoroughly recommend it.

The restaurant on the other hand disappoints. I had pidgeon and black pudding starter followed by duck leg. My partner had muntjac starter and venison main course. The pidgeon was tasty but the tiniest number of pancetta sized pieces of black pudding and bacon were a disapointment and overall the dish lacked flavour. The Muntjac, which is served with what looks like chopped up pieces of tagliatelli, was sludgy. The duck was well cooked and enjoyable, but nothing special, the venison likewise. Vegetables are served in motorway cafe style oval pots and could have been better presented. The sticky toffee pudding was good as was the cheese board. The wines are good.

I have the feeling that the restaurant trades on the gamey menu, its owner's name and perhaps the likelihood that few eat this kind of meal normally. I have had better elsewhere so have rated the place OK as a pub eatery but not that good compared to a restaurant.

• Visited October 2013