“Great expectations, but only average on the day and so disappointing”
Review of The Pot Kiln

The Pot Kiln
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Frilsham
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Inkpen, United Kingdom
“Great expectations, but only average on the day and so disappointing”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Six of us visited this restaurant yesterday for dinner and the challenges started as soon as we arrived. It had been raining and it was dark and blustery. The car park was not well lit in parts and I stepped in a puddle and stumbled in a dark, uneven, area.

Next challenge was the seating. Six of us, three each side, were seated in a very small area with space for just two tables – so small that the backs of our chairs were so close to the other table (that I think seated eight) that the waiter/waitress had difficulty squeezing through. It was very warm and unpleasant.

We were offered one slice of bread – the bread basket was not left on the table. We should have asked for more because the bread was excellent.

As for the food, some of us had just returned from the South West of France and so we ordered the foie gras and duck confit to compare it with the French regional specialities we had enjoyed over the years. This version of foie gras with chicken parfait was OK. The duck confit was OK. One of our group had one of the day’s Specials – French Onion soup. In aiming to be ‘as it should be’ it erred too much on the side of the solid with arguably too little soup. Two had steaks with a sauce. The steaks were OK but there was another challenge – no steak knives. We asked for some but were told they didn’t have any left. One of us had the venison and he said it was good. Desserts were very good, though. Some had sticky toffee pudding, others the warm chocolate and orange pudding. My wife and I just had an espresso – it was far too bitter, not good. The wine list was above average – the St Emilion was excellent.

The cost was OK and worked out at about £35 a head including drinks. Oh yes – we had to pay a £60 booking fee in advance (it was deducted from the bill).

The staff who served the drinks and dishes saved the evening. They were very pleasant.

Overall, this restaurant creates expectations that, for us, were not delivered last night. We may have been more comfortable and relaxed seated in a part of the restaurant where table spacing was better. So no fundamental complaints, but not a memorable experience. It may prove a more attractive proposition to those who like game, and to those who live locally.

We would have liked to have given The Pot Kiln an overall 3+ stars - it's better than Average, but in our view it's not an overall 4-star Very Good.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank BarryNJane

Reading, United Kingdom
“Personal Service from Mike Robinson”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We have been a number of times, as it's one of our favourites. It's tucked away in the beautiful Berkshire countryside but it's certainly worth the journey.
We were served by Mike himself, as I think they were a waitress down, so that was an added bonus and a measure of the man who will step in to those shoes.
If you haven't been you must go, it's not all game, although that's what I always chose, two of our party eat fish and loved it.
The food and wine was as always superb. No more needs to be said.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank WilldlR
Streatley on Thames, United Kingdom
“Never disappoints”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We have eaten here several times a year over the last four or five years. It has never disappointed. A hidden gem

Visited September 2013
Wylye
“My birthday choice”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Came here yesterday or my birthday as we do most years. I simply love this place. went with friends yesterday who loved it too. The Pot Kiln serves the very best venison. I just love it. I started with a salad of pigeon breast with black pudding and smoked bacon, fabulous. then came the pave of fallow venison with Kale and potatoes Dauphinoise. Just wonderful as ever. staff are welcoming, helpful and friendly, the situation of the pub is bucolic with beautiful views over fields and woodland. Him and I have been here several times and it never disappoints. The atmosphere is friendly and jolly as everybody is enjoying themselves. A good range of wines from all over the world, many available by the glass which, as it is in the middle of nowhere and therefor somebody has to drive, is good. Cannot wait until the next time!

• Visited October 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I came here three years ago and had a fantastic experiance (why did it take me so long to come back) ? We had pigeon and chicken liver parfait to start with venison and belly pork to follow and two sticky toffee puds for dessert.Great location, fantastic food, great service and very good value for money, I will be back a lot sooner this time!

• Visited September 2013