“My birthday choice”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Frilsham
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Came here yesterday or my birthday as we do most years. I simply love this place. went with friends yesterday who loved it too. The Pot Kiln serves the very best venison. I just love it. I started with a salad of pigeon breast with black pudding and smoked bacon, fabulous. then came the pave of fallow venison with Kale and potatoes Dauphinoise. Just wonderful as ever. staff are welcoming, helpful and friendly, the situation of the pub is bucolic with beautiful views over fields and woodland. Him and I have been here several times and it never disappoints. The atmosphere is friendly and jolly as everybody is enjoying themselves. A good range of wines from all over the world, many available by the glass which, as it is in the middle of nowhere and therefor somebody has to drive, is good. Cannot wait until the next time!

There are newer reviews for The Pot Kiln

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I came here three years ago and had a fantastic experiance (why did it take me so long to come back) ? We had pigeon and chicken liver parfait to start with venison and belly pork to follow and two sticky toffee puds for dessert.Great location, fantastic food, great service and very good value for money, I will be back a lot sooner this time!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

As pubs go, for me this is just about perfect. Rural location, several locally brewed real ales, great pub food including home cured ham and game. Having been here on half a dozen occasions, the small pub section is always packed and turning people away while the restaurant is rarely busy. I have never eaten in the restaurant, so I can't comment on that part of the establishment, but they do seem to be missing a trick by trying to maintain an under-utilised restaurant whilst turning diners away from an over-subscribed bar.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Having heard so much about this pub for many years I decided to try it out last Wednesday when a friend of mine came to visit. The location of this pub is super, but the food and it's reputation sadly don't match. The dinning room was quite nice, but the tables were sticky and flies a consequence of the rural location. The starters, pigeon salad and chicken liver and foie gras mousse were fairly average, as was the homemade bread, but the main course of pork and venison were awful. The tasteless pork chop came with a piece of deep fried pork cheek that I didn't dare eat as it tasted so bad and the venison was so tough as to be virtually inedible. Vegetable and potatoes are of course costly optional extras - in a pub? This is an establishment that trades on a reputation it doesn't deserve and is a clear case of a chef who has a little knowledge, but no technical skills or staff to back it up.

7  Thank JON B
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The Pot Kiln is in the middle of no where and has a lovely outside seating area for a pre drink. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. The service and atmosphere was great.

The only recommendation I would make is book a local cab before as it was £20 to go one mile as we didn't book.

2  Thank S-2-7-N