“A little greasy” 3 of 5 bubbles

Brown's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Whiteway
Cuisines: Canadian, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Come and enjoy our spacious fully licensed dining room with seating for 100 and enjoy a magnificent view of Trinity Bay and Whiteway's Shag Rocks. Brown's service is attentive, friendly and upbeat. While we have the most extensive menu on the Avalon, we specialize in seafood and traditional Newfoundland cuisine.
St. John's, Canada
“A little greasy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We dropped in for a Fish & Chips on a Friday evening. It was busy and service was slow but it can't be easy considering the number of customers compared to staff. The meal was nothing great and a bit greasy.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Whitby, Canada
“Best food across Canada”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Peter H. from Calgary is generally typical of people I have met from Calgary, the further East they go the worse it is. I have travelled across this country from coast to coast and have eaten in restaurants everywhere, including Calgary. (I could say that I have had meals in Toronto slop-houses that was better than some in Calgary but I won't.) As for Browns, my wife and I left Toronto area in May, and now some 8400 K's later we had a meal at Brown's in Whiteway, NL. Without a doubt this was the best restaurant we have eaten in this trip. We had cod and salmon and both were excellent, the absolute best service and we sat on the opposite side from the windows and still enjoyed a view of Trinity Bay. I have eaten in restaurants from The Royal York to Calgary??? and would not hesitate recommending this restaurant to everyone.

• Visited June 2013
St. John's, Canada
“Excellent Casual Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We are seasonal campers at Golden Arm Park in Greens Hr. so we eat often at Brown's. This the best rural eatery on the Avalon outside St.John's and one of the best casual dining restaurants on the island. We order fried cod most of the time and it is perfectly done and always fresh. The squid rings are to die for. We often go for jigs dinner on Sundays and never disappointed. Browns is known for it's large servings. We have never been there when the owner, Barb, was not which guarantees the place is always run to her high standards. We have recommended it to friends in St.John's as a nice drive on a summer evening for dinner. The prices are very reasonable. We're looking forward to the May 24th weekend for our next visit.

• Visited September 2012
Oakville, Canada
“Typical Small Town Canadian Tourist Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Typical yes. Nothing flash. Clean, bright and friendly atmosphere. The kind of place you often stop in on a road trip. The tables and chairs and decor is plain and functional. BUT, the pan fried cod in the seafood platter was hands down the best I have had. I don't know what they did but it was perfect. So good. The scallops, crab leg, calamari rings and prawns were very good, but I could have eaten much more of that cod. If you are out that way and hungry, try it. You won't be disappointed.

There is also a small area on the side of tourist items like local crafts etc. Worth a peek.

• Visited October 2012
Ottawa
“Vacation to Newfoundland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I discovered Brown's on our honeymoon 10 years ago. I remembered the delicous homemade turkey dinner, the excellent view of Trinity Bay and Shag Rock and the freindly service and great price. We went back to Newfoundland this year for out 10th anniversary and had to see if Brown's was still there. Not only is it still there - they had expanded! Enjoyed another delicious turkey dinner with the same great service and price :-)

• Visited July 2012