“Best beach in Crete”

$70.68*
and up
Elafonisi Beach Trip in Southwest Crete
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is one of the best beaches I've ever been to and definitely the best beach I visited while in Crete. The sand has a pink sheen and is very soft. The water is crystal clear and the perfect temperature. We brought a backpack in with us and never once felt like someone would take it. There were many people who left their belongings on the chairs for hours unattended (we didn't, but probably could have). For 8 euro, you can rent 2 chairs and an umbrella, but you need to get there early or they will all be gone. There are a few places within a short walk to get snacks and drinks. This beach is big enough that even when it's crowded, it doesn't feel like it. Plan on spending the day here.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,884)
All reviews
in 140 reviews
"caribbean"
in 90 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The beaches and the area is beautiful, but a fighting between bathers ending at boxing arena.
Whatever the reason cause this, the municipal staff (with red shorts and tops) should calm the atmosphere but instead were savagely attacked with fists in an old man. My child was so scared with this behavior. I am very disappointed by the attitude of the beach staff.
Ought to save lives and not to beat people and how older people. Shame on them! The beach need lifeguards and not need BODYGUARDS.

5  Thank cretangirl
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Last week in famous Cretean beach Elaffonisi somebody broke in our rent a car and took everything from the car while we were swimming. We put staff in a car and after 10 minutes we have been stollen. They took two smart phones, two wallets with money and documents and expensive Nikon camera with three lenses. People do not go there because they stole from tourists even if you put thing in safe box. Horrible place. I will never go to Greece again.

And of cource Police in Kissamos did report about it and did nothing else.

Edited: 12:05 pm, today

9  Thank cicko92
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We spend a day at Elafonissi beach and it is true. This is a very nice beach, with a big lagoon like water that is stunningly blue. There are umbrellas and parasols for rent, but we came late and they were all gone, so we went to the attached small peninsula and sat under a tree for free. Great water, wonderful snorkeling. My wife got a nice tan, our son swam and crowned around and I followed the fish between the rocks. It was very crowded but never too much. I imagine this beach will even be better if you go late in the season (say, late September).

See more reviews
Reviewed July 27, 2013

one of the most beautiful places I have seen!! I was there with my friends on July 22nd 2013. we went there by car and traveled through the mountains - I've read here on some reviews that it's hard to get there from that road - well, if you have a driving experience of 3 years then you shouldn't have a problem . yes, the road is curved and narrow and at times there's no safety rail and there are no street lights, but if you drive slow (30kmph, i guess) you should be just fine. if you have a chance you can have a stop at Elos - a nice town with friendly people and very good cafes and taverns. unfortunately I don't remember the names of those taverns and cafes. anyway, there's a really beautiful view from there and it's just on the way to Elafonissi. we arrived at the beach by 5pm so it wasn't crowded and after 5pm no one will charge you if you use the sunbeds and the umbrella. the weather could be better - it was a bit cloudy and very windy but we still enjoyed our time there - don't let a windy weather change your plans. we stayed there until the sun came down at 8.30pm and drove all the way back to Chania which took us about 2 hours in the dark.