I have travelled frequently to Mexico, Jamaica, Domincan Republic and Antigua. Always staying at all inclusive resorts. Visited the CAT from 21 to 28 Feb 2009. The resort is squeezed into a small area but is well located for access to Playa Del Carmen and other hi-lights of the Mayan Riviera. Travelled with my wife (mid forties) and parents (late sixties). We could not find anything to complain about.
First the positives.
The room was not fancy but was clean, a reasonable size, comfortable with a large balcony.
All the restaurants were well above average for an all inclusives resort.
Bar service was fast and courteous.
Live entertainment at the lounge was great every night and the animation team shows at the theatre were entertaining.
Service was outstanding everywhere and was perhaps the best I have every had at an all inclusive resort.
Free twice daily shuttle to PDC.
Snokeling was decent especially if you rounded the point and went to the left. Water was clear with lots of fish.
Pools were clean and cool. Nice on a hot day.
Free bicycles to ride.
Location in Puerto Adventuras gives great acces to bars and restuarants within walking distance including dolphine shows.
Now the negatives.
Not much of a beach at this resort so if you are beach hound, this will not be the spot for you.
Overall I would definately return to the CAT and recommend it for all except beach hounds. As mentioned, the service and food are excellent. Loved the appetizer lounge, Craperie and Japanese restaurant. If you don't like the service and food here, there is no sense travelling in the Caribbean as you will never be satisfied. Solid 4 star resort with 5 star food and service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort & Spa is located in the heart of the Riviera Maya, on the private estate of Puerto Aventuras. Located on the beautiful Mexican Caribbean coast, this resort is directly on the beach and offers a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere, perfect for a relaxing break. This mystical area boasts many Mayan archaeological ruins that include Chichen Itza, Tulum and Tikal as well as the natural attractions of Xel-Ha, Cozumel and Xcaret. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico