“I can see why people make repeat visits!”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Niagara Falls
“I can see why people make repeat visits!”
Reviewed February 3, 2010

We had an awesome time at the Catalonia Yucatan. FYI: the Catalonia Yucatan and the Catalonia Riviera Maya are completely indistinguishable. The resort refers to itself as the Catalonia Riveria Maya and Yucatan Beach. We booked the Catalonia Yucatan and were technically in one of the Riveria Maya rooms. There was great snorkeling at the resort. There is a reef at the beach (so the beach is “rocky”), and a calm lagoon area loaded with fish. You have to go beyond the reef to enjoy the waves, which can be a downside to those who aren’t into the sights and wildlife and would rather jump around in the waves. I would recommend water shoes for young ones. The food was great (including the buffets). Of the a la cartes, we went to the Japanese (Mikados – they put on a great show), the Mexican (Alebrijes – awesome authentic food, with a fun flair – Mexican hats to wear if you want, la cucaracha and tequila popper shots throughout for those so inclined) and the Italian (Bellavista – try to skip lunch so you can fit in all of the cheesy goodness of this place - WOW). There were two buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner, a Snack Bar and Grill for lunch and dinner and late night snacks, and a Creperie for dinner. The buffets had milkshake, omelet, pasta, fajita, nacho, etc. stations, in addition to the usual buffet food. We are picky eaters, and didn’t have any complaints! There is a disco, a sports bar, a beach-side chill-out bar, and a cool nautical themed bar in addition to the beach bars / pool bars and other little bars throughout. The entertainment staff was excellent. There is a particular tribute show to a particular recently deceased pop star (who will remain nameless so they don’t run into any copyright problems) that was better than Coco Bongo’s version of the same act. A must see, so plan your off-resort outings around that show. There was a show every night, live musicians, fun around the pool (but not annoying), volleyball tournaments, archery, etc. The spa was ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and of the five star plus variety, and the gym was very well equipped and stylish. There were spinning classes, balance ball classes, yoga classes, etc. If you are into fitness, this is the place for you. The resort itself is small and personable, but has everything you would need or want without that ‘herding cattle’ feel of the big monster resorts. I can see why people make repeat visits. We were in the cheapest room type. It came with a bottle of tequila, but no fridge. That was the only thing the resort did not have that we were used to… but after initially noticing the lack of fridge, it didn’t inconvenience or bother us at all. If that bothers you, go a room type up. When I was trying to research the resort, I was a little worried by the lack of website. THEY DO HAVE ONE (two actually), it just isn’t search engine optimized for English searches: http://www.cataloniacaribbean.com/us/home.jsp and http://www.hoteles-catalonia.com/en/home.jsp TIP: the internet costs you to use a station, but there is free wireless throughout. If you need the net, bring your iPhone/netbook or laptop. Puerto Aventuras is in a great area. It is just over an hour away from Cancun, and 45 minutes from Tulum. We recommend visiting Tulum, going to Coco Bongo, and snorkeling at Puerto Morelos national park – after 6 vacations and 6+ snorkeling trips, it was the best we have been on BY FAR!

3 Thank sharperadar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Polish first
Vancouver
Reviewed February 2, 2010

This was our first time to Mexico and Wow what a treat to stay at this hotel. Everything was perfect right from the time we left the Airport in Cancun. The staff at this resort were FANTASTIC !!! right from the Maids Waiters and Bartenders ( never an empty glass ) The food was also FANTASTIC !!!! always fresh,always tasteful,and quite a variety. I must say if you want to take advantage of the Alacarte it is best to book as soon as you possibly can they book up fast. As for the beach it is a very nice. You can either sit with the crowd or you can move your chaise lounger to a more quite area. I will most definetely be going back to this Resort next January and I will stay for 2 weeks this time. Reyees is the top Bartender there and I really must acknoweledge him He Was AWESOME. Thank-You Catalonia Yucatan for making my first visit to Mexico an Awesome and Unforgetable Vacation. I Can Hardly wait for Jan,2011

Winnipeg
Reviewed February 1, 2010

Being in the service industry myself, I know the importance of good service. This place has it all. All the Staff, and I mean ALL, are friendly, helpful, cheerful and always willing to go that extra mile. I have been to many resorts, Mexico, Cuba, DR and these people really impressed me.

There is a wide variety of food at all the restaurants.....fruit, vegetables, pasta, meat, pastry (lots of churros too!), juice bar etc. etc. etc. The Ala Carte restaurants were good as well. The best one being Bamboleo (in my opinion). The service was always quick everywhere!

The rooms were good and the cleaning staff very respecful, thorough and everything was done with a smile:)

The hotel itself is not huge, but having said that, it is very big, but the layout is great. No trekking for 10-15 minutes to get to one spot or another. The beach is beautiful, and the only drawback was that a large portion of the beach has rocks once you go in for a bit. Water shoes are a definite. Happily enough the Lagoon is the option to pick if you do not fancy wearing water shoes. The Lagoon is a placid, serene area where snorkling goes hand in hand with fun. Bring some fruit or a bun to the Lagoon and watch the fish scramble all around you. For orientation purposes, the Lagoon runs into the frontal beach area, so you are never far from one or the other. 4 pools. The main pool was more family orientated, but still had a swim up bar, the middle two pools had sports in one, and a swim up bar in the other, and the furthest pool was more sports orientated as well.

The Catalonia and the Maya are sister hotels that are right beside each other. There is no big space between, or no walking down the beach or through a fence to get from one to another.

Lots of WiFi happening at the resort. For those that do not have that capability, there are computers in the lobby if you feel the need....and I can't remember what the cost is. And there are no towel cards. If you don't leave the towels in your room when you check out it will be noted and you will be charged after you leave. Lots of towels all the time.....no problem there.

There are beautiful restaurants at the marina's, that are a short walk from the hotel. If you are a boat, yacht and catamaran lover......they are all there. We even saw a yacht from Winnipeg!!!!!! I am not a fan of zoo's or other enforced animal exhibits so you will need to seek elsewhere for the dolphin reviews.

There are two buses that leave daily for Playa Del Carmen free of charge. One at 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and the other one leaves at 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 (?) p.m. Use the service.

The resort is in a gated community, so there are lots of different places to walk to. Kind of neat seeing time shares and condo's without the pressure usually involved.

To wrap this up, I would most defintley visit again, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

PS. You still cannot take water bottles, juice through our Winnipeg Customs, but you can bring water or juice through Customs in Mexico.

Have a great trip! Kind regards.........

4 Thank ccbwinnipeg
Coquitlam, B.C.
Reviewed January 29, 2010

My husband and I just got back from the Catalonia Yucatan on the 27th of January. We went to meet friends from Winnipeg and were very glad we went.

I will start off by saying that this was our 5th trip to Mexico. I did not mind the hour or so long bus ride from the Cancun airport to the resort as I find it facsinating to see the sights along the way. Those first few Coronas on the bus taste soooo good! When we arrived at our hotel check in was fine. We were told that we could only have a room with 2 double beds as there were no rooms left with king beds. We were also told that if we wanted to upgrade we would have to wait until tomorrow as there wasn't an upgraded room with a king bed available at the time. No big deal, we figured we could manage for a night.

Our room was on the second floor facing the Tequila Bar. Very nice if you wanted to sit on your deck and people watch or see how busy things were outside. I was surprised that we didn't ever hear much noise coming from that area being the bar was so close. Now to add to that. Being right near the staircase was fine but that is where the service entrance is. Where trucks unload and supplies are kept. What we should have done was ask to move rooms the very next day but we didn't. We could not believe how noisy it was there. I think we had 2 nights where the noise didn't start until 5 a.m. I am not kidding, all night long those metal doors clanged! Carts of I don't know what were constantly rolling down the hallways. Unbelievable how noisy it was including the noise from the staff. We never once heard noise from other rooms and hardly any noise from people going past our room. Just the noise from the staff working thru the night. This is not a slight against the staff as they are doing their jobs. We were also told the hotel was full therefore we didn't bother to upgrade or move. Now about the room. We were in a standard room. The room was VERY standard but really it had everything that we needed. The only thing we really would have liked to have had was the mini fridge. First place i've ever stayed at that didn't have one. You only got that if you upgraded and the upgrade was $30. per night per couple. The beds as i've read in other reviews were hard as a rock as were the pillows. Bedding was very old and tired and lots of stains. I will say the maids do a very good job cleaning the rooms. Bathroom was small and old but very clean. I would not bathe in the tub as the drain was a little corroded but nothing major.

Buffet. I had read lots of reviews that the buffet was better than a lot of buffets and both my husband and I had to strongly disagree with this. We thought the buffet was NOT good at all. The food was the same most nights and not great quality. I will also say that this was our first 4 star resort as we have been to one 4.5 star and the rest 5 star. We did notice a big difference.

Ala cartes. We went to the Japanese Mikado and that was quite good. Really enjoyed the chef and the food. Went to the Mexican and I had a great steak. Food was good. Then we went to the Steak House. We have been to many steak restaurants in Mexico and had some of our best steaks. This was NOT. The service was terrible. My husband ordered a second beer which we never got and didn't even bother to complain as I don't think they would have cared in that particular restaurant. When we first asked to order a drink they said no, you have to order from the menu first but they didn't have any menus available at the time. Would it have been so hard to bring us a drink while we waited for the menu? The meal itself was terrible. The rib eye steak was definately not rib eye. We didn't even wait for dessert we just got up and left. One evening we went to the creperie which we really enjoyed. It only opens at 5 p.m. which is too bad as it would be nice to enjoy a crepe during the day. Also, it is very very dark there. They give you a little flashlight to read the menu with. But all in all the service was good the drinks were good.

Beach. Very disappointed in the beach. I rarely ever go into the pools in the resorts as I love the ocean. Very very rocky and I really don't want to cut my foot while on vacation. I would definitely bring water shoes. The lagoon was fine without water shoes. Nice and sandy.

For those of you that are interested in using a gym while away this resort has a decent gym. They also have spinning classes but they are very early in the morning. They are at 7 and 8 a.m. A little too early for some vacationers. The equipment in the gym is fairly new and in good condition.

It is very nice to be able to walk into the marina at Puerto Aventuras. You can see the dolphins, manatees and seals. Nice sights and you can stop for a drink or a snack. All in all I would say that the staff at the resort are wonderful. They keep the resort very clean and the public washrooms in the resorts were spotless. We met our friends from Winnipeg and some really nice people from England and other parts of Canada. If you asked us if we would go back to the Catalonia Yucatan we would have to say no. We would not go less than 4.5 star. What we would say is if that is in your price range then it is a solid 4 star. You get what you pay for at this resort. If you get a really good deal and you don't mind 4 star then go for it just don't expect more than that.

2 Thank franklinsmom2001
Ontario
Reviewed January 29, 2010

Wow just got home last night and miss it already!!! First off I will do this review more for people travelling with small kids so it is not too repetitive from other reviews (we travelled with 3 and 5 year old boys). First off if you fly with Air Transat, sign your kids up for the Kids Club...it is free and has great perks eg. a seperate check-in line at the airport (that alone made it worth it as we stood in line for 5 minutes!!! while others waited for an hour)
Bring a portable DVD player/movies to hook into your TV in your room, only one english cartoon channel to watch. The kids enjoyed watching a movie each night before settling in.
So....the rooms. We were in 1133 (ground floor facing pool). We had asked for 2 doubles and a cot when we booked and once there got a room with a king bed. They brought in 2 cots and there was still room to move around and we did not need to share beds YEAH!!! The room was clean but a in need of repair, but it was just to sleep. The only issue was the room was close to a maintenance room and it was noisy with tables/chairs, workers etc. always on the move. And a minor frustration was the maids and their schedule. One day the room was cleaned at 11am and the next at 6pm etc. so it was hard to plan naps etc. as they came at different times every day. I had to turn them away twice, and they came back later.
The kids were able to find food they enjoyed each day, which mainly consisted of nachos, pasta, lunch meats, cheese and fruit. What can I say, young kids don't have big taste buds LOL! They had juices, chocolate and white milk, cereals, yogurts and jello which was good to see comforts of home.
My kids LOVED the japanese restuarant moslty because it was so entertaining for them, they asked to go back several times. We also ate at the Steak House and Italian and all three offered kids menu's eg. sandwich, nuggets/fries, pasta, burger/fries. They loved to make the kids fancy little drinks too.
Dinner does not start until 6:30pm so we often went to the snack bar mid-afternoon for the boys to have a snack to hold them over until dinner.
The pools were great and offered a kids pool as well as a very shallow area for babies to splash at etc. The water was cooler but appreciated during the heat of the day. We brought life jackets which they never took off...totally worth it to provide us with peace of mind in case of an accident. We would toss a few towels on chairs under an umbrella by about 8am each day and we were set. My only gripe about the pool area is that there was no music. I donot like blaring music but it was almost too quiet without it. We only went to the lagoon once as my kids were not a fan of tasting salt water, but it is a great area to play and the water is both warm and calm. They thoroughly enjoyed feeding the fish some bread each day.
The Kids Club looked great!! We did not use it though as I donot believe in bringing my kids on a trip and then dumping them off for the day to be babysat (which many people did). They offered a full day of scheduled activities so you could pick and choose what to send them to. The staff seemed very friendly and patient with the kids and they always had a smile on their face.
The shows were pretty good too, again they started late when you are with young kids 9:45pm or so, but it was worth it to see the Cirque Du Soleil show and the Michael Jackson show. The Lion King is a popular one too, but we missed out seeing it as it was on the night we arrived.
There was a staff photographer that took pictures all day and they had theme nights of photos too eg. pic with a iguana, parrots etc. That was nice but not cheap, we paid $20 US for an 8x10 photo...a nice keepsake though.
The staff at this hotel really LOVE the kids, they all go out of their way to interact with the kids, play etc. It was so nice for the kids to feel like "royalty". I will however say to some of the crusty older people.....don't stay at a "family resort" if you dont want to listen to kids. They are away from home, get tired at times etc. Deal with it or stay at an adults only hotel (sorry small vent)
The grounds of the hotel are easy to walk from start to end for the kids and everything is easy to find. Bring lots of sunblock.....we went through 3 large cans while there.
The marina is a 5 minute walk away and the kids can see a seal, manitees and dolphins. We spent a few hours there and they loved it. There are restuarants and shops too BUT the shops are expensive and you really need to "dicker" with them. We felt very safe walking with the kids in both the day and evening. The beach is small...not a place to take long walks etc....which I kind of missed but you just need to walk off the resort.
We only left the resort to shop in Playa Del Carmen...great shopping but we did not last too long with cranky/tired kids. We took the shuttle in (30 minute ride) and cabbed back $16 US..tell them that price before you get in or they will try to charge up to $22 US. Lots of bartering at the shops too, but it all is the same after about the first 15 stores or so. The kids got these SpiderMan/BatMan masks that they were obsessing about, we got both for $25...they initially wanted $65 for both at all the shops so we really had to work for it :-)
Lastly....it is a LONG drive from the airport so just be prepared and prepare your kids for it. It took 1.5 hours to get there, lots of stop and go traffic at more populated areas. We departed at 6am our last day so we brought ziplock bags down and filled them with bananas/muffins etc on our last breakfast day as it is a long wait at the airport. The food is also expensive there eg. $9 US for a croissant and juice.
We thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of our stay at the Catelonia Yucatan from the hard working staff, atmosphere, food etc. Our kids met lots of little friends each day and we never heard the words "I am bored" or "I want to go home" once. I would definitely recommend it to families without hesitation.

5 Thank Mamaof2monkeez
Winnipeg Beach, Manitoba
Reviewed January 28, 2010

This hotel was great! We traveled with a group of 12 and it seemed like everyone had a great time! The swim up bars and bar tenders were fabulous.....they work very hard! The food was amazing especially the Japanese and Steak house.... Italian was ok. Rooms were nice however we could have used an upgrade. Overall i would recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank Ashk_kut18
Northern Virginia
Reviewed January 23, 2010

My wife, 79 year old mother, two kids (ages 3 & 5), and I generally enjoyed our relaxing 4-night stay at the Catalonia (the Yucatan and the Mayan are essentially two sides of the same hotel). So why would I not recommend it? Primarily for two reasons: 1) the beach is narrow and much of it at the water's edge is rocky; and 2) arrive at the wrong time and you may not be able to make a reservation at any of the four non-buffet restaurants. I'll have more to say about both after explaining why I chose the Catalonia, the rooms, and what I liked.

After several hours researching on Trip Advisor and other sites and mulling things over, I chose Catalonia Yucatan because of the high TA recommendation percentage, because it had been recognized as a 2009 "Best for Families," the decent snorkeling, lagoon, and creperie mentioned in multiple reviews, and because they had a kids stay free promotion going at the time. I was also swayed in part because I noticed more than one TA user refer to the hotel as the "Cat" and for a hotel to develop a nickname that suggested a loyal clientele.

Because I wanted adjoining rooms (my mother in one room and the rest of us in the other) and oceanfront adjoining rooms weren't available all four nights, we spent our first two nights in standard rooms on the Mayan side and the last two nights in the "superior oceanfront" rooms on the Yucatan side. The standard were OK, though a bit small. The oceanfront rooms turned out not to be adjoining, but separated by one room, 3131 and 3129. While the latter had one balcony, the former was on a corner and had 3 balconies -- one facing the ocean and overlooking the Pure bar, a very spacious balcony that could easily accommodate several people from which you could view the Yucatan's kid-friendly pool and the beach, and a small SRO balcony.

Even though we weren't able to eat in one of the reservations-only restaurants, the two buffets were pretty good, with a pleasingly wide selection of choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The snack bar was more than adequate for when the buffets weren't open. The creperier was somewhat disappointing in practice due to the fact that it was only open after 5 pm. It would make much more sense to me that a place that offers crepes and milkshakes would be open from late morning until early evening.

The snorkeling not far out from the beach and in the lagoon wasn't bad considering how heavily trafficked it is -- mostly rock and dead coral with some scattered live growth. The calm lagoon is good for kids and I surprisingly spotted more lobster in a short time (6 or 7) than I ever had before snorkeling or scuba. For a much more enjoyable snorkeling experience, go to Akumal -- the abundance of turtles is memorable.

We liked the mostly middle class mix of people -- I would say a plurality, perhaps even a majority, were Canadian, and a roughly even number of English and Americans, with a smattering of French (my wife heard both Quebecois and continental French).

The staff were friendly -- most notably at the open-air buffet restaurant on the Mayan side and the girls who ran the kids club.

Beach wasn't bad, but the rocky entrance is an annoyance -- yes, you could wear water shoes, but I'd rather not, and the footing would still be slippery and bumpy. I would also prefer a greater ratio of open beach to beach chairs.

About those restaurant reservations -- we arrived on a Sunday afternoon. Within a couple hours of arriving I looked into making reservations for dinner. I discovered that not only were there no reservations available that night, but there was nothing available earlier than 9:30 for Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday (we left on Thursday after lunch), and that won't work with two young kids. It seems both unusual and unfair for a resort to allow for reservations to be made days in advance. I brought this to the attention of customer service, but the best she could do was to offer us something at 8:30 one night (again, too late).

I wouldn't recommend Tulum for anyone who has seen Mayan or Aztec ruins elsewhere. I do recommend Grand Cenote for a refreshing (surprisingly not cold) freshwater swim in and under the limestone.

Overall, the good easily outweighed the bad or not-so-good. My wife indicated she wouldn't mind returning. She does tend to prefer what she knows whereas I like to try new things and places. We had stayed at one other all-inclusive, Pebbles in Jamaica, and we're in agreement that was slightly preferable, with the exception being the food, which was better at the Catalonia.

Final note: My wife thinks my review is overly negative.

6 Thank Peripatetic_Tom
Catalonia Royal Tulum
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#101 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!