We had an awesome time at the Catalonia Yucatan. FYI: the Catalonia Yucatan and the Catalonia Riviera Maya are completely indistinguishable. The resort refers to itself as the Catalonia Riveria Maya and Yucatan Beach. We booked the Catalonia Yucatan and were technically in one of the Riveria Maya rooms. There was great snorkeling at the resort. There is a reef at the beach (so the beach is “rocky”), and a calm lagoon area loaded with fish. You have to go beyond the reef to enjoy the waves, which can be a downside to those who aren’t into the sights and wildlife and would rather jump around in the waves. I would recommend water shoes for young ones. The food was great (including the buffets). Of the a la cartes, we went to the Japanese (Mikados – they put on a great show), the Mexican (Alebrijes – awesome authentic food, with a fun flair – Mexican hats to wear if you want, la cucaracha and tequila popper shots throughout for those so inclined) and the Italian (Bellavista – try to skip lunch so you can fit in all of the cheesy goodness of this place - WOW). There were two buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner, a Snack Bar and Grill for lunch and dinner and late night snacks, and a Creperie for dinner. The buffets had milkshake, omelet, pasta, fajita, nacho, etc. stations, in addition to the usual buffet food. We are picky eaters, and didn’t have any complaints! There is a disco, a sports bar, a beach-side chill-out bar, and a cool nautical themed bar in addition to the beach bars / pool bars and other little bars throughout. The entertainment staff was excellent. There is a particular tribute show to a particular recently deceased pop star (who will remain nameless so they don’t run into any copyright problems) that was better than Coco Bongo’s version of the same act. A must see, so plan your off-resort outings around that show. There was a show every night, live musicians, fun around the pool (but not annoying), volleyball tournaments, archery, etc. The spa was ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and of the five star plus variety, and the gym was very well equipped and stylish. There were spinning classes, balance ball classes, yoga classes, etc. If you are into fitness, this is the place for you. The resort itself is small and personable, but has everything you would need or want without that ‘herding cattle’ feel of the big monster resorts. I can see why people make repeat visits. We were in the cheapest room type. It came with a bottle of tequila, but no fridge. That was the only thing the resort did not have that we were used to… but after initially noticing the lack of fridge, it didn’t inconvenience or bother us at all. If that bothers you, go a room type up. When I was trying to research the resort, I was a little worried by the lack of website. THEY DO HAVE ONE (two actually), it just isn’t search engine optimized for English searches: http://www.cataloniacaribbean.com/us/home.jsp and http://www.hoteles-catalonia.com/en/home.jsp TIP: the internet costs you to use a station, but there is free wireless throughout. If you need the net, bring your iPhone/netbook or laptop. Puerto Aventuras is in a great area. It is just over an hour away from Cancun, and 45 minutes from Tulum. We recommend visiting Tulum, going to Coco Bongo, and snorkeling at Puerto Morelos national park – after 6 vacations and 6+ snorkeling trips, it was the best we have been on BY FAR!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort & Spa is located in the heart of the Riviera Maya, on the private estate of Puerto Aventuras. Located on the beautiful Mexican Caribbean coast, this resort is directly on the beach and offers a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere, perfect for a relaxing break. This mystical area boasts many Mayan archaeological ruins that include Chichen Itza, Tulum and Tikal as well as the natural attractions of Xel-Ha, Cozumel and Xcaret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Catalonia Yucatan Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico